Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Guns N' Roses finally finish "Chinese Democracy"

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Guns N' Roses finally finish "Chinese Democracy"

Old 04-30-08, 12:53 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JZ1276
G N R is a wayyyy better band than Motley Crue and Def Leppard and I think they are an "all time great" rock band...one of the best.
GnR is DEFINITELY an "all time great" band solely on the merits of Appetite For Destruction alone. There are good-great moments in the Illusion albums and Lies, but let's not kid ourselves, it's Appetite that everyone thinks of when they think of GnR.

As for Def Leppard, they have an "all time great" album - Pyromania. It has stood the test of time and is as great today as it was in 1983. Hysteria is nearly as good but has some unfortunate weaknesses due to it shooting for such success right out of the gate. Had they attempted to make just another great, solid rock album out of it (leaving off "Love Bites" and "Excitable," for starters - blech) they might have neared Pyromania greatness. Don't dismiss Pyromania - it is a monster, beginning-to-end great rock album. (I can't speak for Motley Crue - never liked 'em.)
Old 04-30-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by DAC
Well, I guess, I'm just saying I woulda left off Theatre for Feelgood. My opinion.
That's surprising to me. There are lots of good tracks on there, plus, wouldn't "Home Sweet Home" be the prototype for the power ballad? Given it's circa '84-'85, I can't think of any other metal bands at the time who were doing ballads.
Old 05-01-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
That's surprising to me. There are lots of good tracks on there, plus, wouldn't "Home Sweet Home" be the prototype for the power ballad? Given it's circa '84-'85, I can't think of any other metal bands at the time who were doing ballads.
the scorpions were.
Old 05-01-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by chino77
the scorpions were.
I'll revise my assessment to US metal bands doing power ballads.

Also, did the Scorps have any ballads released as singles here from Love At First Sting or prior?
Old 05-01-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Also, did the Scorps have any ballads released as singles here from Love At First Sting or prior?
Not sure about before Love at First Sting (great album, btw), but "Still Loving You" was a single:

"Still Loving You" is a power ballad by Scorpions from their 1984 album Love at First Sting. It was the second, and last, single of the album, reaching #64 on Billboard Hot 100.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Still_Loving_You
Old 05-01-08, 09:50 PM

i dont think they had any ballads as singles before still loving you though love at first sting came out a year before theater of pain.
Old 05-02-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chino77
i dont think they had any ballads as singles before still loving you though love at first sting came out a year before theater of pain.
The Scorpions released the power ballad "No One Like You" in 1982. I'm not 100% sure what was released as singles from Lovedrive in 1979, but "Always Somewhere" and "Holiday" would definitely qualify as well.
Old 05-02-08, 05:45 PM

i wasnt sure if "no one like you" was considered a power ballad or not. i was going off of amg and i didnt see the other 2 you mentioned as singles. they are definatley a power ballads. by the way scorpions kick every band mentioned in this threads ass. they were one of the first metal bands that get zero recognition for it.

edit to add. listening to always somewhere....that song is the the definition of "power ballad".

Last edited by chino77; 05-02-08 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-03-08, 12:40 AM
DAC

I agree, some good tracks. I like Home Sweet Home, Smokin' in the Boys Room and Louder than Hell. On the Feelgood album I pretty much like them all.
Old 05-03-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Given it's circa '84-'85, I can't think of any other metal bands at the time who were doing ballads.
Night Ranger ("Sister Christian") & Def Leppard ("Bringing On The Heartbreak", among others) both were doing "power" ballads years before "Home Sweet Home".
Old 07-15-08, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 60 Likes on 58 Posts
GN'R to get 'Revenge' on Rock Band 2

Get ready for "Shackler's Revenge." The track from the upcoming Guns N' Roses album Chinese Democracy will appear on the video game Rock Band 2, slated for release for the Xbox 360 platform in September.

The news was announced Monday morning by Harmonix president and CEO Alex Rigopulos at Microsoft’s press conference at E3 at the Los Angeles Convention Center. In addition to "Shackler’s Revenge," Rock Band 2 will feature songs by Bob Dylan, Metallica, Pearl Jam and the Grateful Dead among the 80-plus songs on the playlist.

GUNSNROSES.com
Old 07-15-08, 11:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gerrythedon
GN'R to get 'Revenge' on Rock Band 2

Get ready for "Shackler's Revenge." The track from the upcoming Guns N' Roses album Chinese Democracy will appear on the video game Rock Band 2, slated for release for the Xbox 360 platform in September.

The news was announced Monday morning by Harmonix president and CEO Alex Rigopulos at Microsoft’s press conference at E3 at the Los Angeles Convention Center. In addition to "Shackler’s Revenge," Rock Band 2 will feature songs by Bob Dylan, Metallica, Pearl Jam and the Grateful Dead among the 80-plus songs on the playlist.

GUNSNROSES.com
i've never even heard of Shackler's Revenge
Old 07-16-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, in all honesty, most people haven't even heard the album it's coming off.
Old 07-16-08, 05:28 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like a sequel to a bad slasher movie.
Old 07-16-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by malnar
As for Def Leppard, they have an "all time great" album - Pyromania. It has stood the test of time and is as great today as it was in 1983. Hysteria is nearly as good but has some unfortunate weaknesses due to it shooting for such success right out of the gate. Had they attempted to make just another great, solid rock album out of it (leaving off "Love Bites" and "Excitable," for starters - blech) they might have neared Pyromania greatness. Don't dismiss Pyromania - it is a monster, beginning-to-end great rock album.
Don't sleep on High N' Dry - there are some great cuts on that one, and the production is marginally less bloated than on Pyromania and Hysteria.
Old 07-16-08, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Well, in all honesty, most people haven't even heard the album it's coming off.
that's not the point. GNR fans like myself that have been listening to the leaked tracks for years now have never heard of this song.
Old 07-16-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that's not the point. GNR fans like myself that have been listening to the leaked tracks for years now have never heard of this song.
How do you know it's not a song you've already heard with a different title? Besides, does anyone know how many songs Axl recorded for this album? I would think at this point it could be a 3 disc set.
Old 07-17-08, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Let's just hope it's not a ballad and/or a song w/ drum machines.
Old 07-17-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DAC
Well, I guess, I'm just saying I woulda left off Theatre for Feelgood. My opinion.
Gotta agree there...I'm a big Crue fan (skipped class in the 6th grade to get Feelgood), and Theatre is the least listened to. Oddly, I was too young to enjoy Too Fast and Shout while they were out, and they've become my faves. I have to disagree on the above sentiment on "Girl Don't Go Away Mad", I think it's a great song..."Time for Change" is possibly the worst Crue song ever.

Back to the GnR vs Crue...I think they're equally as good and equally as revered. However, the Crue has persevered through MUCH more than GnR ever did, and still managed to put out an album a month ago that is pretty damn good. I think Axl has screwed himself on so many levels with regards to musicians. I'm reading 'Slash' right now, and the ego on Rose is just so over the top. To get rid of the talent that Rose had in GnR just sickens me. Slash is a much better guitarist than Mick (not that he's bad, it's just that Slash is that good), but Adler and Sorum can't hold a candle to Lee, and Duff is mediocre at best compared to Sixx. Vince has a much better vocal range than Axl, but lacks the gritty thing...so that's equal. The Crue kept it together far longer than Rose could keep anything together. Both were 800lb gorillas in their day on tour...it's just equal. I've always been a bigger Crue fan, but I love GnR as well. And both bands screwed themselves by not continuing to work and put out good music in the early 90's.
Old 07-19-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
How do you know it's not a song you've already heard with a different title? Besides, does anyone know how many songs Axl recorded for this album? I would think at this point it could be a 3 disc set.
Try a 10 disc set. How many years now?
Old 07-19-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
Adler and Sorum can't hold a candle to Lee
Poor Popcorn. He was arrested for (surprise) drug possession over the weekend in LA.
Old 08-27-08, 05:49 PM
DAC

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080827/...ogger_arrested
FBI arrests man over leak of Guns N' Roses songs

Wed Aug 27, 2:23 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - Federal authorities say they have arrested a blogger suspected of streaming songs from Guns N' Roses unreleased album, "Chinese Democracy," on his Web site.

FBI agents arrested 27-year-old Kevin Cogill on Wednesday morning on suspicion of violating federal copyright laws. Federal authorities say Cogill posted nine unreleased Guns N' Roses songs on his Web site in June.

The songs were later removed.

According to an arrest affidavit, Cogill admitted to agents that he posted the songs on his Web site.

"Chinese Democracy" is a much anticipated — and repeatedly delayed — new album by Guns N' Roses that is more than 10 years in the making.
At least this guy released the album.
Old 08-27-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by DAC View Post
At least this guy released the album.
I wonder if he can counter sue if the album either a) doesn't come out in a reasonable period of time or b) the album is completely different than what he uploaded.
Old 08-27-08, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post

I love it. Though i'm a big Buckethead fan of course, and his influence is all over this song.