DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Guns N' Roses finally finish "Chinese Democracy" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/529255-guns-n-roses-finally-finish-chinese-democracy.html)

orangecrush 04-11-08 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by William Fuld
What's the average production cost for an album from an A-List band/artist?

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
About a million, give or take.

Then this must be 13 times better than any other A-List album out there.

acubfaninmd 04-11-08 11:39 AM

Now all that need to come out is Dr. Dre's Detox album which also has been delayed numerous times

DAC 04-15-08 03:34 PM

http://www.chinesedemocracy.com/imag...pper/karin.jpg
http://www.gunsnroses.com/news/artic...news&fext=.jsp
March 26, 2008

Press Release from Axl Regarding Dr Pepper

We are surprised and very happy to have the support of Dr Pepper with our album "Chinese Democracy," as for us, this came totally out of the blue. If there is any involvement with this promotion by our record company or others, we are unaware of such at this time. And as some of Buckethead's performances are on our album, I'll share my Dr Pepper with him.

Axl Rose

DGibFen 04-15-08 03:53 PM

Is Axl wearing ass-less chaps in that picture?

GuessWho 04-15-08 03:56 PM

All chaps are ass-less... otherwise they'd be 'pants'

Michael T Hudson 04-15-08 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
All chaps are ass-less... otherwise they'd be 'pants'

:lol:

rmcarthur 04-18-08 01:37 AM

Lets see.. Axl is free. Velvet Revolver is without a lead singer. hmm..

Axl just might be in a bad financial situation if this album does poorly.

Obviously, the real GNR needs to reunite and take their show on the road.

Not very likely but I'd say more of a chance than a few years ago.

If the Police can get back together, I think GNR could manage it.

Supermallet 04-18-08 05:14 AM

I'm not the world's biggest GnR fan, but if the original lineup reunited, I'd go to that show. However, I think there's a better chance of the original lineup of The Beatles getting back together.

kilcher 04-18-08 10:08 AM

If the original G n' R gets back together I'm sure Axl will insist on re-recording Chinese Democracy. And by the time it's done again they'll be broken up and he'll want to re-record it again.

d2cheer 04-19-08 05:34 PM

If it is ever released there will be a curiosity factor to it, so first week sales will be good after that who knows. Actually if the new Motley Crue CD does well it will help this one if it is released within a few months. People will be thinking of the 80's and give these releases a chance again. I know I will if there are some decent songs on them.

gerrythedon 04-26-08 07:55 PM

Guns N' Robin

Robin's plans caught everyone in Guns, as well as our fans, a bit off-guard.

Really, Del James' private e-mail that someone took upon themselves to post publicly is the best way for us to address things at this time: "Only Robin knows what Robin's doing."

Neither we nor management, etc., know any more in this regard and we prefer not to speculate or offer opinions at this time.

Robin's Robin. We're in negotiations for the release of "Chinese Democracy" and things are going well.

When we begin to put tour plans together, we'll see where things are. Until then, Robin's touring with NIN and we're working with management on our game plans.

Our thanks to those who continue to show their support.

Guns N' Roses

Dudikoff 04-27-08 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Guns N' Robin

Good for him. Anyone involved with GnR has their career stuck in slow motion. No surprise that Robin jumped ship when something better came along.

Hollowgen 04-27-08 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'm not the world's biggest GnR fan, but if the original lineup reunited, I'd go to that show. However, I think there's a better chance of the original lineup of The Beatles getting back together.

:lol:

Nesbit 04-27-08 03:25 PM

I'm 29 and GNR was the first real rock act that I got into as a kid so maybe my view on things is a little skewed. I know that they aren't looked on as a "All time great" rock band but are they really viewed on the same level as Montley Crew and Def Leopard? Those bands never really appealed to me and seemed too stuck in their time.

Michael T Hudson 04-28-08 09:20 PM

I am just happy I was able to see them live twice in the 90's.

bunkaroo 04-28-08 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nesbit
I'm 29 and GNR was the first real rock act that I got into as a kid so maybe my view on things is a little skewed. I know that they aren't looked on as a "All time great" rock band but are they really viewed on the same level as Montley Crew and Def Leopard? Those bands never really appealed to me and seemed too stuck in their time.

While GNR probably seemed more larger than life than Def Leppard or Motley Crue, I'd argue the latter two bands did a hell of a lot more from making pop metal mainstream in the 80's.

The way I look at it Crue had three great records (Shout At The Devil, Theatre Of Pain and Girls X 3), and Def Leppard had two landmark records (Pyromania and Hysteria) vs. just one from GNR. I got into all those bands the same year when I was 13 (1988), and while GNR was my favorite back then, I can appreciate Def Leppard a hell of a lot more now.

JZ1276 04-28-08 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Nesbit

G N R is a wayyyy better band than Motley Crue and Def Leppard and I think they are an "all time great" rock band...one of the best.

chino77 04-29-08 03:37 AM

i think appetite still has a sound that holds up today as far as a ballsy hard rock cd goes. the crue and def leppard classics, while they still sound good, sound very dated.

i will actually go as far as saying that appetite has probably stood the test of time better than any cd from hard rock/hair metal genre of the late 80's. at least any that i have heard and i was into all that stuff back then.

appetite still gets regular play from me from start to finish. i cant really do that with any of the old bands i used to listen to. although i never really got into anything else they put out aside from a few other hits they had. i also saw them in concert when they toured with buckethead and it was a great show. one of the best ive seen and ive seen over 150+ bands.

mikelowry 04-29-08 05:52 AM

13 million in excess is a lot I should say. They must have to sell at least a million units to breakeven.

chino77 04-29-08 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by mikelowry
13 million in excess is a lot I should say. They must have to sell at least a million units to breakeven.

i would think it would have to be ALOT more than a million.

DVD Josh 04-29-08 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by chino77
i would think it would have to be ALOT more than a million.

With promotion and marketing, it's probably closer to 7-8M for break-even.

DAC 04-29-08 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
While GNR probably seemed more larger than life than Def Leppard or Motley Crue, I'd argue the latter two bands did a hell of a lot more from making pop metal mainstream in the 80's.

The way I look at it Crue had three great records (Shout At The Devil, Theatre Of Pain and Girls X 3), and Def Leppard had two landmark records (Pyromania and Hysteria) vs. just one from GNR. I got into all those bands the same year when I was 13 (1988), and while GNR was my favorite back then, I can appreciate Def Leppard a hell of a lot more now.

You left off Dr. Feelgood. That album rates up there with Appetite, IMHO. The Crue paved the way for GnR and the rest.

bunkaroo 04-29-08 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by DAC
You left off Dr. Feelgood. That album rates up there with Appetite, IMHO. The Crue paved the way for GnR and the rest.

Yes, I did leave off Dr. Feelgood. It's not bad, but c'mon, "Girl Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)"?

nodeerforamonth 04-30-08 12:08 AM

Yes, I did leave off Dr. Feelgood. It's not bad, but c'mon, "Girl Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)"?

Hell of a lot better than "Without You" and "Time For Change"!!!

DAC 04-30-08 10:52 AM

Well, I guess, I'm just saying I woulda left off Theatre for Feelgood. My opinion.