DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Dr. Pepper's [GNR "Chinese Democracy"] Challenge (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/528209-dr-peppers-%5Bgnr-chinese-democracy-%5D-challenge.html)

gerrythedon 03-26-08 09:38 PM

Dr. Pepper's [GNR "Chinese Democracy"] Challenge

Dr Pepper Sweetens Pot For 'Chinese Democracy'

Many have tried, but so far nobody has been able to pry the decade-in-the-works Guns N' Roses album "Chinese Democracy" from the hands of lone remaining original member Axl Rose.

Now, Dr Pepper thinks it's up to the challenge. The soft drink company says it will give a free can of Dr Pepper to "everyone in America" (excluding ex-GNR members Slash and Buckethead) if "Chinese Democracy" arrives anytime during the calendar year 2008.

"It took a little patience to perfect Dr Pepper's special mix of 23 ingredients, which our fans have come to know and love," Dr Pepper director of marketing Jaxie Alt says. "So we completely understand and empathize with Axl's quest for perfection -- for something more than the average album. We know once it's released, people will refer to it as 'Dr Pepper for the ears' because it will be such a refreshing blend of rich, bold sounds - an instant classic."

Dr Pepper has also launched a blog in conjunction with its offer. GNR's label, Interscope, was unavailable for comment at deadline.

"Chinese Democracy" was most recently scheduled for release on March 6, 2007, but promptly vanished from the schedule without a new date being set. It will be the first Guns N' Roses album since the 1993 covers collection "The Spaghetti Incident"; in the ensuing decade, the group has burned through a reported $13 million in recording expenses.

BILLBOARD.com

Matt 03-26-08 11:57 PM

Press Release from Axl Regarding Dr Pepper

March 26, 2008

We are surprised and very happy to have the support of Dr Pepper with our album "Chinese Democracy," as for us, this came totally out of the blue. If there is any involvement with this promotion by our record company or others, we are unaware of such at this time. And as some of Buckethead's performances are on our album, I'll share my Dr Pepper with him.

Axl Rose
Wow.

nodeerforamonth 03-27-08 12:28 AM

Free advertising! Genius move by Dr Pepper. Totally free advertising. And they won't have to pay a cent.

islandclaws 03-27-08 01:05 PM

Wonder how they're planning to fulfill that promise? Still pretty cool either way. And, no, we still won't see Chinese Democracy anytime this year.

foofighters7 03-27-08 02:22 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA What an odd and hilarious campaign.

Mr. Pibb should give everyone a can if it doesnt come out this year.. Kind a battle of the spicy-coke-like beverages.

Just for S#$%s and Giggles Sprite should jump in and give everyone a can if Axl swears to go away and promise never to sing again... I would be TOTALLY in for that.

that guy is the most overrated, egotistical, and now horrible voiced guy in music...even when and if it does come out, it will be blown out of perportion, and then a few weeks later everyone will realize what a pile of crap it is. Just me seeing the future.

Does anyone remember when he closed out the MTV movie or music awards a few years ago. They made such a GIANT spectical out of it all, and it was absolutely horrid.
His voice was shot, he looked like a freak,.... just laughingly bad.

xfilefanfreak 03-27-08 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by foofighters7
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA What an odd and hilarious campaign.

Mr. Pibb should give everyone a can if it doesnt come out this year.. Kind a battle of the spicy-coke-like beverages.

Just for S#$%s and Giggles Sprite should jump in and give everyone a can if Axl swears to go away and promise never to sing again... I would be TOTALLY in for that.

that guy is the most overrated, egotistical, and now horrible voiced guy in music...even when and if it does come out, it will be blown out of perportion, and then a few weeks later everyone will realize what a pile of crap it is. Just me seeing the future.

Does anyone remember when he closed out the MTV movie or music awards a few years ago. They made such a GIANT spectical out of it all, and it was absolutely horrid.

OH yes i saw that what f n joke that was how can u call it gnr when its just him i could care less

Rival11 03-27-08 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by foofighters7

I can see most people being turned off because of that perfromance alone but Axl is one of the extereme few I would not put anything past - I'm just keeping my mouth shut until.......or IF I ever hear this album.

nodeerforamonth 03-27-08 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Wonder how they're planning to fulfill that promise? Still pretty cool either way. And, no, we still won't see Chinese Democracy anytime this year.

That's the genius of the promise. They only have to deliver if it comes out this year. Free publicity!

gerrythedon 03-27-08 11:46 PM

New management team for G N’R

I am very pleased to announce that Guns N’ Roses and I are now represented by the management team of Irving Azoff and Andy Gould. We are very excited and look forward to working with them and hope our relationship proves beneficial for everyone, especially the fans.

Axl Rose
March 27, 2008

nodeerforamonth 03-28-08 12:39 AM

Why in the world would GnR/Axl even need management?!?!??!?

uncle-frank 03-28-08 02:58 PM

that's pretty funny, id rather have the can of pop than a new G&R cd tho. are people still hyped or care about them?

C_Fletch 03-28-08 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by uncle-frank
that's pretty funny, id rather have the can of pop than a new G&R cd tho. are people still hyped or care about them?

Yea, I would say they care. There seems to be thousands of posts on various forums discussing this very release. AND discussing it since the dawn of the "forums".

Matt 03-28-08 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by uncle-frank

I was a huge GN'R fan back in the day, and I'm interested in the new album to a degree. But my interest is more in the goings-on behind the album itself, as opposed to the actual music it contains. I've heard most of the leaks so far, and the new stuff really doesn't do anything for me one way or the other. But I think the story behind the album is incredibly interesting. I hope somebody's had the foresight to document it in some way, shape, or form.

astrochimp 03-29-08 09:38 AM

I love Dr Pepper.... but i live in Canada :(

Rival11 03-30-08 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by astrochimp
I love Dr Pepper.... but i live in Canada :(

Worry not, we will make sure you get one.

astrochimp 03-30-08 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rival11
Worry not, we will make sure you get one.

Dr_Evil 03-30-08 12:51 PM

I hear Coke is going to do the same thing with Duke Nukem Forever.