Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Purple Rain vs Thriller

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Which is the better album?
Purple Rain
62.81%
Thriller
37.19%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Purple Rain vs Thriller

Old 03-28-08, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While we're on the subject, why do you guys think Prince broke up the Revolution? I was sorely disappointed when Sign of the Times came out and was missing the Revolution guys. Wendy and Lisa kicked some serious ass! I haven't heard much of what he's done with NPG but what I did hear was pretty much crap, except for Diamond and Pearls and Get Off.

Is there anything else from Prince, post Around the World, that has the same rock/pop-influenced style as PR?
Old 03-28-08, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by OutRun2
Is there anything else from Prince, post Around the World, that has the same rock/pop-influenced style as PR?
You, my friend, need to be introduced to some outtakes..

While we're on the subject, why do you guys think Prince broke up the Revolution? I was sorely disappointed when Sign of the Times came out and was missing the Revolution guys. Wendy and Lisa kicked some serious ass! I haven't heard much of what he's done with NPG but what I did hear was pretty much crap, except for Diamond and Pearls and Get Off.
It's important to remember that, at the end of the day, it's all Prince. So, while he might have a "band" called "the Revolution" or "the New Power Generation", the albums are all him and they're, for all intents and purposes, a touring band. Out of all of the people he's played with, Wendy & Lisa were the closest any band member has ever been (speaking, "creatively").

As for the Revolution breakup, I've heard many different stories through the years. Here's what Wikipedia says:

Despite the stellar performance of the band on tour, discontent in The Revolution had been brewing and was about to reach a boiling point. Shortly after the Parade tour in 1986 Wendy and Lisa, unhappy with their lack of credit and creativity and all the additions to the band, left to perform as a duo. They had wanted to leave before, but Bobby Z. literally caught them at the airport and talked them into staying for the Parade tour. Wendy was even bothered with the fact that Susannah, her twin, was in the band, saying "I shared a womb with this person, do I have to share a stage?" (ironically, Susannah ended up leaving the Revolution too, following a hurtful breakup with Prince, and performed for a time with Wendy and Lisa as a backup singer in their band). Bobby Z. was replaced after the Parade tour by the more versatile Sheila E. (although he was kept on payroll for quite a few years after the fact). Brownmark was asked to stay, but decided to pursue a solo career (he was promised "a lot of money" by Prince to stay on the Parade tour, but ended up earning about $3000 a week, which is a very low amount considering his time in the band and the popularity of the group; he had turned down much more profitable gigs with artists like Stevie Nicks). Dr. Fink remained with Prince until 1991.

With the nucleus of the band gone, Prince had to make necessary changes. The fragmented former-Revolution still retained many of the newer members (Sheila E., Weaver, Brooks, Safford, Bliss and Leeds) so Prince added Sheila E. associates Levi Seacer, Jr. on bass and Boni Boyer on keyboards/vocals to round out the group. The new incarnation of the band was unnamed, though fans came to dub it "The Lovesexy Band". Some members of the new band referred to their group as the "Counter-Revolution". Prince may have been toying with a new band name in 1988, when on the album Lovesexy, Prince stated, "Welcome to the New Power Generation" on the track "No". It was in 1991, when Diamonds and Pearls was released, that Prince began officially calling his band The "New Power Generation". Despite many numerous personnel changes made throughout the years, the name has remained.
Old 03-28-08, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
You, my friend, need to be introduced to some outtakes..
Cool. Where do I start? Is there an "Outtakes" compilations album or something?
Old 03-28-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow, you didn't like Sign O' The Times? Even tho it wasn't really a rocking album, it was still full of great tracks IMO.

Even tho it was basically "contract filler", 1996's Chaos And Disorder was pretty rocking. He's had hints in more recent albums as well, "Cinnamon Girl" from Musicology is like a long lost Revolution track, "Fury" off 3121 rocks, and "The One U Wanna C" off Planet Earth actually has Wendy and Lisa on it, and on that same album, "Guitar" was pure rocking Prince as well.
Old 03-29-08, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by nothingfails
wow, you didn't like Sign O' The Times? Even tho it wasn't really a rocking album, it was still full of great tracks IMO.

Even tho it was basically "contract filler", 1996's Chaos And Disorder was pretty rocking. He's had hints in more recent albums as well, "Cinnamon Girl" from Musicology is like a long lost Revolution track, "Fury" off 3121 rocks, and "The One U Wanna C" off Planet Earth actually has Wendy and Lisa on it, and on that same album, "Guitar" was pure rocking Prince as well.

No no no...I didn't say I disliked SotT, I said I a little disappointed when I heard the Revolution weren't on it. But don't get me wrong....it's a kickass album! The second side in particular is awesome. U got the Look, IiwYG, Strange Relationship, Adore, etc are all killer tunes. I think Adore may be one of his best ballads ever! The first disc with SotT is OK, but nothing spectacular IMHO. Other than the title track, "It", "Starfish and Coffee" and "Housequake", the rest are 'eh...

I'll check out those others you mentioned. I'm just a little concerned because when he went through his whole 'Jehovia's Witness' thing, I heard he started toning down his material and that quite a few of the songs on his albums post NPG era, is all gospel and shit. Is this true?
Old 03-29-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No no no...I didn't say I disliked SotT, I said I a little disappointed when I heard the Revolution weren't on it. But don't get me wrong....it's a kickass album! The second side in particular is awesome. U got the Look, IiwYG, Strange Relationship, Adore, etc are all killer tunes. I think Adore may be one of his best ballads ever! The first disc with SotT is OK, but nothing spectacular IMHO. Other than the title track, "It", "Starfish and Coffee" and "Housequake", the rest are 'eh...

I'll check out those others you mentioned. I'm just a little concerned because when he went through his whole 'Jehovia's Witness' thing, I heard he started toning down his material and that quite a few of the songs on his albums post NPG era, is all gospel and shit. Is this true?
he has some religious messages in his newer albums, but not overtly religious, more in the sense that Let's Go Crazy or Anna Stesia were in the 1980's. Stay away from The Rainbow Children from, that album is his most Jehovah's Witness oriented album. He does have some religious-esque songs like The Word and Beautiful, Loved and Blessed on more recent efforts, but they're quite listenable and vague enough that you can listen and enjoy without feeling preached to. I always attributed the toning down sexually of his music as much with the fact that he's getting older as with religion. I don't think anyone really wants a 49 year old singing Lady Cab Driver or Let's Pretend We're Married.

Recent Prince is nowhere in the league of his 80's material, but since Musicology he's gotten himself back into a groove where he's not as alienating as he was in the 90's. Not so much groundbreaking anymore, but with the ability to look to the forward and past at the same time and give us decent music while he's at it. He's been teaming up with old band members again as well, at the concert I saw him at, he had Sheila E. and Wendy Melvoin both as special guests, and Sheila appears on "Get On The Boat" off 3121 and Wendy And Lisa are on "The One U Wanna C" off Planet Earth. I would probably suggest 3121 best of the three most recent albums, since it's the most consistant and is fairly in line with his 1980's albums.
Old 03-31-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Comes down to talent, prince has it coming out of his pours. Jackson just makes the same sounding tracks for every album he's ever done.

Aerosmith songs are the same way, they all sound just like the last one, cookie cutter crap. Not that some of them aren't catchy for jackson or aero, but when it comes down to quality tracks on almost any album, prince wins every time.
Old 03-31-08, 09:12 PM
Banned

Damn right, hdtv00! EVERY time!