Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Turn Me Up!

Old 03-21-08, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn Me Up!

Yesterday I got my copy of the new Elbow LP in the mail. It's brilliant, by the way, but that's not the point.

There's a note on the inner sleeve that caught my eye:

"To preserve the excitement, emotion and dynamics of the original performances this record is intentionally quiter than some. For full enjoyment simply Turn Me Up! (TurnMeUp.org)"

Curious, I went to the page and found it pretty fascinating. This is their mission statement, I suppose, from their front page:

"Turn Me Up!™ is a non-profit music industry organization campaigning to give artists back the choice to release more dynamic records. To be clear, it's not our goal to discourage loud records; they are, of course, a valid choice for many artists. We simply want to make the choice for a more dynamic record an option for artists.

Today, artists generally feel they have to master their records to be as loud as everybody else's. This certainly works for many artists. However, there are many other artists who feel their music would be better served by a more dynamic record, but who don't feel like that option is available to them.

This all comes down to the moment a consumer hears a record, and the fear that if the record is more dynamic, the consumer won't know to just turn up the volume. This is an understandable concern, and one Turn Me Up! is working to resolve."

I know this gets discussed a lot around here, so I thought people might be interested. As a point, though, seeing as it's the LP release I wasn't able to rip it to my computer and then compare the levels to another disc. I will say, however, that when I was recording it to my computer with SoundForge it was much easier to get a good level read with it, however.

Oh, and did I mention the record is brilliant?
Old 03-21-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I applaud their efforts; music is over-compressed. All the peaks and valleys, i.e., the dynamics are all evened out just so it sounds loud. Sad.
Old 03-24-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This is awesome.
Old 03-24-08, 01:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread but the UK mag 'The Word' has an article on over-compression

[side comment regarding Elbow: I can't wait to hear this new album and see them in concert in April - I thought Leaders of the Free World was a great album]