Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart's 5-tier CD pricing proposal ($10 for all top hits)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Wal-Mart's 5-tier CD pricing proposal ($10 for all top hits)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think this is the only time I will say this but,

I really hope Wal-Mart gets its way with this pricing.
Old 03-22-08, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingfails
well, what about those who have kids? Do you know how many times have niece and nephew watched Finding Nemo?
Kid's movies are an entity of their own. I have kids and yes, I've definitely got more than my money's worth out of the majority of them.

Wal-Mart is right though, it all comes down to pricing. The music biz can throw whatever special editions/combos they want at us, but the fact remains that it is still a $15 price tag. It's definitely a few dollars lower than it was a few years back but there is no reason in this day an age that ALL catalog titles aren't under $10.
Old 03-22-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by C-Mart
I recognize the desire for the tangible CD, and for my favorite stuff I still get it - mainly for bonus disks, etc... but if I have a choice between $12.99 for the disk and $9.99 for digital only, then I typically take the digital; especially given that the first thing I do is rip the disk to digital and then put it away.

-Good point about losing the purchased iTunes music if I lose my HD though. I think its time to back up my music.

-Oh, and I rarely buy at Wal-Mart due to poor selection, but if other retailers pick up this pricing structure then that would be cool.
Yeah, but it's worth the extra $3 for me to actually own a real hard copy piece of product (with legit artwork, lyrics, etc...) than a low quality digital file. As stated, if you lose your HD, or mp3 player, than you've got nothing. At least I've still got something that's tangible, with real value. There's zero resale value to a copied disc - while real CD's still fetch a decent price (especially out-of-print ones).

That said, I do believe it is well past time for the record companies to drop prices on CD's, and again, I agree with all the other reasons stated why.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 03-22-08 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-23-12, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Wal-Mart's 5-tier CD pricing proposal ($10 for all top hits)

best thread bump evar
Old 01-23-12, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Wal-Mart's 5-tier CD pricing proposal ($10 for all top hits)

Got me interested.