Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart's 5-tier CD pricing proposal ($10 for all top hits)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Wal-Mart's 5-tier CD pricing proposal ($10 for all top hits)

Old 03-18-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't think of a whole lot of artists I buy that would suffer from having "clean" versions, so maybe Wal-Mart would start getting some of my business. I'm pretty much a used-only buyer when it comes to music now, but I wouldn't mind picking up new stuff if the pricing were fairer.
Old 03-18-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
As long as they only sell the edited version of albums, I could give two *&$%s about their pricing structure.
Fixed for Wal-Mart consumption.
Old 03-18-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

depends on the type of music you like to worry about clean. Me? I can care less about hip hop music, so I'm not buying any of their titles regardless of clean or dirty
Old 03-19-08, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I rarely buy any 'new' CDs. Either I get them from a music club like BMG or buy it from half.com or ebay.
Old 03-19-08, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I stopped buying music at Wal-Mart when I found out they sold "clean" CDs a number of years ago. It's not that I buy them just b/c they're dirty, but it's the principle of the matter. However, if an artist or a label will whore itself out to Wal-Mart, I guess that's not my problem. On the other hand, it's still Wal-Mart.

This structure sounds like a really great idea, and it would be nice to see it across the board. Way too many catalog CDs are still way too pricey for what they are.
Old 03-19-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This should be adopted across the board. I don't really buy CDs anymore, but maybe if this was put in place 5 years ago, I still would be.
Old 03-19-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by boredsilly
This should be adopted across the board. I don't really buy CDs anymore, but maybe if this was put in place 5 years ago, I still would be.
definitely. I used to buy a bunch of new artist CDs at Target when they put them out at $7 each a few years back.

It's just a question of whether or not lower CD prices will be the shot in the arm the industry needs or is it time to kiss the CD goodbye for good? They couldn't go all digital though because Apple would own the music industry. Apple has done a great job in positioning themselves.
Old 03-19-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am definately for this. I think this is a main reason why the music industry is falling down the drain. People complain that catalog sales are in the dump, but hell... if a CD that was huge in 1995 is still retailing for the same price today it was selling for in 1995, something is wrong with that.

The DVD (and likely Blu-Ray will follow suit after it catches on more) market thrives because catalog titles go down lower and lower. You never see Circuit City or Best Buy having a $3.99 sale on CD's that were popular and out 3-4 years ago, but you sure see it with DVD's. Older albums just don't look attractive at the price they try to sell them for, because the DVD market has shown how much you can boost sales if you drop the price once it's sold all it's going to at one level. I'd be hardpressed to name one DVD that came out in 1999-2000 that is still on the market that hasn't come down in price a tad. But yet there are countless cd's that came out at the same time who still retail for what it retailed for eight years ago, and the industry wonders why it doesn't sell better?

Say what you want about Wal-Mart but I think they have the best intentions and this is possibly the best way to revive physical CD sales, because you just can't persuade someone to spend $15 on a cd that cost $15 in 1993, price is supposed to depreciate in time, it does so with DVD's.
Old 03-19-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by wendersfan
The market's changed a bit since then, I bet.
Possibly, but it wasn't even that long ago... three or four years I'd say.
Old 03-19-08, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
This should be adopted across the board.
If Wal-Mart pulls it off, it will be.
Old 03-19-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nothingfails
I'd be hardpressed to name one DVD that came out in 1999-2000 that is still on the market that hasn't come down in price a tad.
Actually, there are some that haven't been reduced in price. (Hint: they're numbered on the spines.)

But yeah, any title from the studios has been reduced, if it hasn't just gone OOP.
Old 03-19-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think $10 is as high as a normal 1 disc cd should be, and thats pushing it.
For as much as a CD cost to make, they could afford to charge 5-7 dollars a piece NEW. Granted each CD sold would generate less revenue than the figures right NOW, BUT the thing is, I think they would make MORE $ selling them cheaper. The amount of people who would buy a CD for 5-7 dollars is FAR FAR greater than the amount of people who is willing to pay $12-16.
Basically they have to get the price at a level that Entices people to pay for the hard copy, rather than just going home and burning it from the Internet.

I believe the Majority of people would rather pay $ 5-6.00 for a CD NEW and own something tangible, than rip it off the Internet.
not everyone, granted, but ALOT. Especially those people who are not hardcore thiefs who steal song after song, no matter what it is, just to say they have it.

I think this is basically the only hope the Record Industry has. The trend will continue as more and more people get highspeed Internet access.
As long as they keep their prices high and refuse to play ball they will continue to lose.
Im not in the record industry and I KNOW this, the question is, Why dont they?
What is the % of $0.00?
Old 03-19-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went there today and they already have a sample of this out (probably around 100):
$11.88, $9.72, $8.88, $6.88, and 2 for $10
One hell of a deal for $9.72: Tom Petty - Anthology: Through the Years (2 CDs - 34 songs)
Old 03-19-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by foofighters7
I think $10 is as high as a normal 1 disc cd should be, and thats pushing it.
For as much as a CD cost to make, they could afford to charge 5-7 dollars a piece NEW. Granted each CD sold would generate less revenue than the figures right NOW, BUT the thing is, I think they would make MORE $ selling them cheaper. The amount of people who would buy a CD for 5-7 dollars is FAR FAR greater than the amount of people who is willing to pay $12-16.
Basically they have to get the price at a level that Entices people to pay for the hard copy, rather than just going home and burning it from the Internet.

I believe the Majority of people would rather pay $ 5-6.00 for a CD NEW and own something tangible, than rip it off the Internet.
not everyone, granted, but ALOT. Especially those people who are not hardcore thiefs who steal song after song, no matter what it is, just to say they have it.

I think this is basically the only hope the Record Industry has. The trend will continue as more and more people get highspeed Internet access.
As long as they keep their prices high and refuse to play ball they will continue to lose.
Im not in the record industry and I KNOW this, the question is, Why dont they?
What is the % of $0.00?
I agree. It's much like how you can download movies for free off the internet, but the same consumer might see the movie on sale for $5 at Circuit City or something and actually get it. The DVD dept. has done very well, I think the same might happen with CD's. I think there's a market for older cd's that aren't of the "Greatest Hits" kind, but people don't want to spend $14 on something that's "old" to them
Old 03-20-08, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For discussion sake:

If this pricing takes hold across the board, does this mean that used CD stores will have to drop their prices too?

And if they do, what does this mean for them?
Old 03-20-08, 06:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by UAIOE
If this pricing takes hold across the board, does this mean that used CD stores will have to drop their prices too?
Well, that's a very good point. I actually have noticed recently that I seldom even browse used CDs any more because the prices on them are generally too high, IMHO.
Old 03-20-08, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"I would certainly buy more CDs... I think I have bought 10 CDs in the last 5 years."

I am in the same boat. Myabe less then 10 new CDs in the last four years. I don;t see the point of buying a NEW CD when I can eventually find it used at the used CD stores, the Pawn Shop, or used at the "very scratched" bin at my local used CD store. I can resurface CDs so scratchs do not bother me. I came to the understanding several years ago that I enjoy music, not CDs. If I can hear the music and there are no dropouts, etc from the CD then I am happy. I have found hundreds of CDs for anywhere from .10 to $3. That's savings of thousands and thousands of dollars as I buy ALOT of CDs, DVDs, games, and now records.

Now after all of that, I ask you "Why would I spend $10-$15 for that same CD at the store?"

I'd be an idiot to do so. I dont like to waste my money.

Last edited by C_Fletch; 03-20-08 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-20-08, 10:11 AM

I for one buy very few albums NEW. There are a handful of bands or artists who I make sure to pick up, but its few and far between.

I have a great place close to me that sells all their albums for 3.00 a piece, wether it be new or old, and yes it does take some time to get in brand new things but they do trickle in. Recently they lowered it to 2.00 a piece and I picked up even more.

Most Used cd shops are half crazy. I went to one the other day that sells nicely used cds, and true, they do have a good selection of fairly new titles, BUT they want the prices of a new cd! Its insane!
for Instance
Bruce Springsteen's Magic- New Price I recently saw it for- around 9.00 on sale.
This Used CD place- 9.00. I mean COME ON its BLOODY used!

$2-3 for used in excellent shape.

.50-1.00 if its not Super.

$5-7 if brand new. And at frakin Wal-Mart they should have like a WHOLE Giant Section for $4.88. There are Tons of backlog titles I would pick up for about $5 a piece new. But there is no way in hell im paying $12- and up for them.
Old 03-20-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not a huge fan of Wally-world dictating prices, but This might actually be a decent proposal. Music prices have always been out of whack, especially with them being competitors to DVDs nowadays.

It makes no sense that for $15, you can get either:

a DVD with a 90-120 minute movie, and 1-2 hours of extras, OR
60-70 minutes of music, and on the average 1-2 songs that are not filler.

Which would you rather buy?

-jason
Old 03-20-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
I'm not a huge fan of Wally-world dictating prices, but This might actually be a decent proposal. Music prices have always been out of whack, especially with them being competitors to DVDs nowadays.

It makes no sense that for $15, you can get either:

a DVD with a 90-120 minute movie, and 1-2 hours of extras, OR
60-70 minutes of music, and on the average 1-2 songs that are not filler.

Which would you rather buy?

-jason
Not really a valid argument though. How many times do you listen to that 60 minute CD over a six month period vs. that 2 hour movie? There is a much higher re playability value to CDs.
Old 03-20-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Not really a valid argument though. How many times do you listen to that 60 minute CD over a six month period vs. that 2 hour movie? There is a much higher re playability value to CDs.
well, what about those who have kids? Do you know how many times have niece and nephew watched Finding Nemo?
Old 03-20-08, 04:23 PM

how many times one watches or listens is a moot point.

The fact is, CD sales are slumping because they are overpriced in THIS DAY AND AGE. They havent adapted to the changing media world.

The thing with video media is that it has continued to morph and change for the past 20 years, and the movie industry has kept up rather well.

CDs are..well...CDs. They did the dualdisc thing, and adding dvds etc, but really it still boils down to its all simply music on CDs.

Film media has went from VHS to Laserdisc, DVD, HD, Blu, those wacky Sony handheld thingys, etc.
They come out constantly with SE's CE's 2disc extended, Directors cuts, remastered etc.
CDs..again, for the mostpart are simply CDs, and as the internet continues to grow, it will get worse and worse.

They need to realize that to get back on track, they NEED to adapt. If you dont adapt you die. And thats what they are doing..slowly.
Old 03-21-08, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are "Special Editions" of albums now...released some time after the initial release and include extra tracks or whatever. Those are more annoying than when it is done with a movie release.

But it still comes back to the fact that CD's are too expensive.
Old 03-21-08, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by UAIOE
There are "Special Editions" of albums now...released some time after the initial release and include extra tracks or whatever. Those are more annoying than when it is done with a movie release.
I hate these. It is like punishing me for buying it when it is released. The least they can do is offer the extra tracks at the price of single or something. The most recent example for me was The Bravery-The Sun and the Moon. Bought it release day, now BB has it for 8 bucks with what looks like remixes of the entire cd.
Old 03-21-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The fact that so many catalog titles are so expensive has always baffled me. The record companies have always complained that sales were declining and they just never got it that their pricing was too expensive, especially in the day and age where other alternatives to obtain music (legal or otherwise) are available. They aren't the only game in town anymore, and the days of charging whatever they want for CDs and having them sell are looong over. Record companies have been stubbornly sticking to a broken, outdated and dying business model and it took Walmart to perhaps somewhat fix it to some degree. It's not often that I agree with Walmart policies, but this time I do.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.