Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sheryl Crow joining Fleetwood Mac

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Sheryl Crow joining Fleetwood Mac

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-08, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
Honestly, I think it's a horrible song. Definitely the worst FM song ever.
No way. I understand what you mean by it being different than Rumours, but I don't get why a slightly odd song has to be disliked because it didn't sound like what came before. Never quite got that.
Old 03-17-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
And "Tusk" is my favorite FM song ever. But I'm a big Lindsey Buckingham fan, saw him on tour last year. The man is a genius.
Really? "Tusk" is your favorite FM song EVER!? Seriously?? Wow.
Old 03-17-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
No way. I understand what you mean by it being different than Rumours, but I don't get why a slightly odd song has to be disliked because it didn't sound like what came before. Never quite got that.
Slightly? It didn't sound like any previous or post "Rumours" song.
Old 03-17-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, "Tusk" is a great song, just something different for them. Personally, I like it when an artist I like tries something new, but I guess that's just me
Old 03-17-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep. I'll take imagination and virtuosity over mainstream and formulaic any day of the week.
Old 03-17-08, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Out of all the Fleetwood Mac recordings, I listen to Tusk the most...
Most die-hard Mac fans are the same way. Peruse some of the message boards dedicated to the band and many on here would be surprised to find that Tusk is the most popular album by the band amongst fans. Mostly because it's so different from the rest of the Rumours-era discography and because it has the three songwriters writing songs that more prominently display their respective personalities. A lot of critics accused them of self-indulgence, and while I agree to an extent, Tusk wouldn't be the fantastic album it is without those indulgences. Lindsey Buckingham can drum on as many shoeboxes as he wants if that's the kind of material that gets recorded.

Buckingham is my particular favorite member, which is why I enjoy the album so much, but I think Tusk contains each member's true masterpiece. Buckingham has "Save Me A Place," McVie has "Brown Eyes," and Nicks has "Storms."

As for Sheryl Crow, I suppose it's an interesting turn of events, but it's nothing that particularly floats my boat. The Mac itself has turned into a pathetic nostalgia band in recent years, especially Stevie Nicks (her solo concerts have been absolutely painful these past few years; want to change up the setlist one of these years, bb?), so while I may have reservations, maybe her addition will re-energize them in some way.

Though, to be perfectly frank, the Mac can stay disbanded if that means we get more solo Buckingham. His last tour and album were both incredible. But Mick needs an extra source of income other than his wines at Costco, so...

Honestly, I think it's a horrible song. Definitely the worst FM song ever.
Have you not heard "When I See You Again," "The Second Time," or "Silver Girl"?

Last edited by golden_rod; 03-17-08 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-18-08, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

one thing that works about the Sheryl addition is the fact she's not THAT young either. She's in her mid-40's, while she is over a decade younger than the other four, she's much closer to their age bracket, and would assimilate to the band a lot better than a 25 year old (think 17 year old Wolfgang touring with his dad).
Old 03-18-08, 07:12 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Slightly? It didn't sound like any previous or post "Rumours" song.
Daytripper, you and I have had a lot of great conversations in the past, but right now it really sounds like you don't like Tusk (the song or the album) only because it's so different from the rest of the Fleetwood Mac catalogue. If an entirely different band had recorded Tusk, I think you'd enjoy it much more.
Old 03-18-08, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Daytripper, you and I have had a lot of great conversations in the past, but right now it really sounds like you don't like Tusk (the song or the album) only because it's so different from the rest of the Fleetwood Mac catalogue. If an entirely different band had recorded Tusk, I think you'd enjoy it much more.
Yes, I remember talking to you on here before. And no, I don't dislike the album "Tusk". But I hate the song. After all this talk, I just pulled the album out yesterday and played it from start to finish. I love the Christine McVie opener ("Over and Over"). There are some great songs on the album. Some, not so great (IMO). I'd give the whole thing ***/****. I'm a huge FM fan. I own everything they've done from the moment Lindsey and Stevie joined the band. BTW, I love the studio version of "It's Not That Funny". But live? I remember Lindsey literally screaming the vocals/words. Truly awful. And the best FM song ever (again, IMO) is "Silver Springs".
Old 03-18-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Interesting news, but as much as I love FM and all the solo stuff (well, for the most part..), this news doesn't excite me at all. I'll buy any album for sure, but heck, I'd take Bekka back before this. Or bring in Lola Thomas back from obscurity! Those, I'd be excited about.
Old 03-18-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those who aren't excited about Sheryl Crow joining, have you heard her and Stevie singing together? It's absolutely flawless.
Old 03-18-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those who aren't excited about Sheryl Crow joining, have you heard her and Stevie singing together? It's absolutely flawless.
I agree. Sorcerer is probably the best solo thing Stevie has done since the 1980's, and that song is her and Sheryl. Stevie and Sheryl's voices work together perfectly.
Old 03-18-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Actually, that's true. Their "Gold Dust Woman" off of "Sheryl Crow & Friends Live in Central Park" was pretty awesome, IMO.
Old 03-27-08, 12:40 AM

Apparently Ms. Crow was a bit too ahead of herself:

Fleetwood Mac surprised by Sheryl Crow claim By Gary Graff
Tue Mar 25, 6:25 PM ET

Sheryl Crow's recent claim that she would be working with Fleetwood Mac surprised a lot of people -- including the members of the classic rock group.

Crow, 46, who's friendly with Mac's Stevie Nicks, told the AOL music website Spinner.com earlier this month that she and the band "definitely have plans for collaborating in the future, and we'll see what happens."

"I think we were all a little surprised (Crow) was announcing that to the world with such certainty," Fleetwood Mac principal Lindsey Buckingham, 58, told Billboard.com with a laugh.

"We have talked about the possibility of bringing another woman into the scene to kind of give Stevie a sort of foil and shake it up a little bit. (Crow) was certainly a name that has come up. We'll have to see."

Nicks, 59, has been the group's sole female member since Christine McVie, now 64, retired from the band in the late '90s.

Buckingham said the group, which last toured in 2004, is considering returning to the road in the first half of 2009, possibly with some new material. He said that he has "a ton of new stuff" that could be used for a new Fleetwood Mac album, its first since 2003's "Say You Will."

Buckingham -- who's just released a new concert DVD, "Live at the Bass Performance Hall," from his 2006-07 solo tour -- is also planning another solo album for this summer.

Recorded with members of his touring band as well as Fleetwood Mac co-founders Mick Fleetwood, 60, and John McVie, 62, he said it "has a little more of a rock feel to it" than his most recent effort, 2006's "Under the Skin."

"It's just another group of tunes that hopefully will translate to stage, and hopefully we can get some more (solo) dates this summer."

Reuters/Billboard
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080325/...m/fleetwood_dc

I still hope they can get it together, I would be very interested to see some new material with Buckingham, Crow, and Nicks!
Old 03-28-08, 01:12 AM

Nicks, 59, has been the group's sole female member since Christine McVie, now 64, retired from the band in the late '90s.
Holy hell! Christie McVie is 64? How did that happen? God I'm old.
Seriously, did anyone think that she was about the same age as Paul McCartney? I sure didn't.
Old 03-28-08, 06:13 AM
Banned

So Sheryl Crow, ah, um....ate crow.
Old 03-28-08, 03:35 PM

As did Lance Armstrong.
Old 03-28-08, 03:54 PM
Banned

Touche, teacher, touche.