Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dave Clark Five singer Mike Smith dies at age 64

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-28-08, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080228/en_nm/smith_dc_3

By Jill Serjeant

1 hour, 1 minute ago

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Mike Smith, the lead singer of the 1960s British band the Dave Clark Five, died on Thursday of pneumonia at an English hospital, his U.S. agent said.

Smith, 64, was admitted to the hospital on Wednesday morning with a chest infection resulting from complications of a 2003 spinal cord injury that had left him paralyzed from the waist down, his New York agent, Margo Lewis, said in a statement.

His death at Stoke Mandeville Hospital, north of London, came just two weeks before the Dave Clark Five -- one of the leading bands of the 1960s "British invasion" -- was due to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in New York.

The Dave Clark Five, whose hits included "Glad All Over," "Bits and Pieces" and "Because," were one of the first British bands to find major success in the United States after the Beatles.

According to a biography of the band on the Web site allmusic.com, it was the Dave Clark Five who knocked the Fab Four's hit "I Want to Hold Your Hand" off the top of the British charts with "Glad All Over."

And they made more appearances on "The Ed Sullivan Show" than any other English act of their era.

Despite a string of more than 10 other hits, the group disbanded in 1970. It had sold more than 50 million albums by the end of 2007.

The Dave Clark Five was due to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at a March 10 ceremony in New York that Smith had hoped to attend despite his September 2003 injury.

Smith, who was both lead singer and keyboard player with the quintet, had spent the years since his injury hospitalized until December 2007, when he moved into a specially prepared home with his wife, Arlene, the statement said.

"These last five years were extremely difficult for Mike, Lewis said.

"He was extremely excited and honored to have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and I am glad that he will be remembered as a Hall of Famer, because he was in so many ways," she added.

Chris
Old 02-29-08, 07:02 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Perhaps this is not entirely suprising, but a very sad day indeed. I loved his work (what a voice). I'm spinning Because right now.
Old 02-29-08, 07:10 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 403 Likes on 252 Posts

Yes, George... 5 versus 4 is no fair indeed.
Old 02-29-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,147 Likes on 701 Posts
A very underappreciated 60's group.
Old 02-29-08, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe

Yes, George... 5 versus 4 is no fair indeed.
Come on, there is no comparison. No one in the last 30 years has listed the Dave Clark 5 as an inspiration. You talk to most musicians today and they will list The Beatles as one of the more important influences in their musical lives.

They were my favorite back in 1973 when I first started listening to them and they always will be.

Chris
Old 02-29-08, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Dave Clark Five made some nice pop records for their time. Plus, they did an interesting "Hard Day's Night" semi-ripoff called "Catch Us If You Can." It's sad about Mike; he had a unique sound.

I don't know if anyone else posted about this, but Buddy Miles from one of Jimi Hendrix's bands died this week. I've never been a big Hendrix fan, but Miles was a great drummer. He was only 60 years old.
Old 03-01-08, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too bad he couldn't hang on for another month.
Old 03-01-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Come on, there is no comparison. No one in the last 30 years has listed the Dave Clark 5 as an inspiration. You talk to most musicians today and they will list The Beatles as one of the more important influences in their musical lives.

They were my favorite back in 1973 when I first started listening to them and they always will be.

Chris
I don't think a 45 year old magazine cover is going to diminish the Beatles influence or popularity.

Lighten up, Francis
Old 03-01-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Too bad he couldn't hang on for another month.
If it wasn't for Jann Wenner's shenanigans last year, he would have already been inducted. Sad.

Message to Dave Clark: don't you think it's time to release some music on CD?
Old 03-02-08, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jason
I don't think a 45 year old magazine cover is going to diminish the Beatles influence or popularity.

Lighten up, Francis

I still stand by my quote!

Francis