Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Best year in music, 1991 is hard to beat.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Best year in music, 1991 is hard to beat.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingfails
I like 80's Heart too, they were much more raw in the 70's but they had a nice run of hit singles in the mid/late 1980's. I think it depends how old you were, I was too young to enjoy them at their 70's peak, but loved them in 1986. Same happened with Fleetwood Mac, Kiss, Foreigner, Starship, Chicago, etc...., the older music is the best, but it was the mid/late 1980's MTV pop that I have the best recollection of because I experienced it
I was in college when Heart had their 80's hits. For "respectable" bands, only Starship beat them in the "god awful" category.
Old 01-30-08, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1991 was a good year. I'm pretty partial to the 90's because I loved all the alternative bands that came out.

IMO, the 80's were the worst decade for music. I just can't stand any of it.
Old 01-31-08, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're a more extreme version of me. I can tolerate *SOME* 80's music, but a large portion of it is terrible.

The 90's were my decade of music.
Old 01-31-08, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
1991 was a good year. I'm pretty partial to the 90's because I loved all the alternative bands that came out.

IMO, the 80's were the worst decade for music. I just can't stand any of it.
Maybe due to age of the beholder, but as far as alternative rock goes I'd choose the 80's any day over the 90's.
Old 01-31-08, 07:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Maybe due to age of the beholder, but as far as alternative rock goes I'd choose the 80's any day over the 90's.
Alternative music from the 80's was alternative!
You had all types from the creepy underground style to the pop sound of The Cure. Alternative music from the 80's you were able to dance to unlike 90's.
Seems like 90's alternative was posh pit jumping around like a retard music and no waay was that in the 80's. Remember that's where Goth came from was from the 80's underground music. Take a listen to the song BELA LUGOSI'S DEAD from the 80's. Even metal from the 80's had all types unlike the 90's where it just pretty much went dead. So no way 90's was better in music except country where that really took off in the 90's.
Old 01-31-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
I liked 84 a lot. I'm too lazy to post all the albums. I remember thinking there was great variety that year. 87 was awesome too. Oh, and 80.
Old 01-31-08, 07:19 PM

96-2000 sucked. Those were the years I was in high school. Most music from that era to me is now horrible.
Old 01-31-08, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Ladies and Gentlemen, may I also submit 1987...

Richard Marx - s/t
W. T. F.
Old 01-31-08, 10:38 PM
Banned

And isn't PEARL JAM the only band to come out of the 90's that sells out outdoor stadiums ? All the rest are from the 70's, 80's and the Stones from the 60's.
My point no talent came from the 90's.
Old 02-01-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who in the hell wants to see a show in an outdoor stadium anyways? Is that the measuring stick for bands being great?
Old 02-01-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Peal Jam plays arenas not stadiums - still, there are plenty of great bands from the '90s still around.

My personal favorites being Foo Fighters, Manic Street Preachers and Ocean Colour Scene. Though the last two aren't too popular here, they do sell out arenas in Europe and Japan. Oh, and Kula Shaker's back!
Old 02-01-08, 02:08 PM
Banned

Put it this way it's unlikely that any band that came out of the 90's will be asked to ever do a half-time show for the SUPER BOWL. Although Justin Timberlake & Brittney Spears did but they are not a group and some may question their talent in music.
Old 02-01-08, 02:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slymer
Who in the hell wants to see a show in an outdoor stadium anyways? Is that the measuring stick for bands being great?
When Led Zepplen starts their tour they will be booked in the biggest arenas and that would be outdoors. Because it seats more people. Like the last time the Rolling Stones came to Chicago they were outdoors and then in a few months they were in smaller indoor arenas.
Old 02-01-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
Put it this way it's unlikely that any band that came out of the 90's will be asked to ever do a half-time show for the SUPER BOWL.
If that's your gauge for how good a band is, I just feel sorry for you. Even still, all the good bands that have played the Super Bowl (Tom Petty, Aerosmith, Prince, U2, etc.) peaked creatively about 10-20 years before they performed at the Super Bowl. So expect a Foo Fighter's performance at Super Bowl #57...
Old 02-01-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I was in college when Heart had their 80's hits. For "respectable" bands, only Starship beat them in the "god awful" category.
surely Chicago were even worse after Cetera left?

These Dreams and Alone are classics IMO
Old 02-01-08, 04:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slop101
If that's your gauge for how good a band is, I just feel sorry for you. Even still, all the good bands that have played the Super Bowl (Tom Petty, Aerosmith, Prince, U2, etc.) peaked creatively about 10-20 years before they performed at the Super Bowl. So expect a Foo Fighter's performance at Super Bowl #57...
But check this out all those old rockers you named have music that today's youth like and commercials use their songs to pitch their product. And rappers sample their music. How times have you heard Blondie's ONE WAY OR ANOTHER on a tv commercial? Too much. The old rockers had talent and I don't understand why bands from the 90's are not as good as other bands from other decades. Every band grows up listening to other bands at least that's what I have read over the years when they ask bands who influenced them.
So I don't know who Foo Fighters or any current bands listen to but keep this in mind. Why is AMERICAN IDOL such a huge success? If we had great music coming out would we be watching that show?
Old 02-01-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

surely Chicago were even worse after Cetera left?
I'm not sure about worse. They both were pretty bad.

These Dreams and Alone are classics IMO
Thanks for adding an IMO to that
Old 02-01-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
I'd argue that the 80's were the best time for music.

1.They were still playing all the great stuff form the 70's/60's on the radio.
2. Great variety. New Wave, Heavy Metal, Disco, Pop, Rock, Alternative Rock, Southern Rock, Rap - all available. Goth came out of New Wave. Music was happy, sad, angry, party, shallow, deep.
3. Musicians created, wrote, recorded, and performed the music - not "artists".
The musicians who mastered an instrument were revered. Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani, Neil Pert, Flea, etc. You see this today, but no where near the extent.

I think the biggest reason for the decline in music is how it's created. In the past the business was created by the bands. Today too many bands are created by the business. This puts a lot of pressure on bands, and that's not a creative atmosphere. There are some great bands that have broken through this - Foo Fighters is one good example - but there are too few examples to justify the current business model.
Old 02-01-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wm lopez
When Led Zepplen starts their tour they will be booked in the biggest arenas and that would be outdoors. Because it seats more people. Like the last time the Rolling Stones came to Chicago they were outdoors and then in a few months they were in smaller indoor arenas.
I understand that there are stadium shows. Just doesn't sound too appealing. I'd rather be able to see the band in a small venue or nightclub. I definitely don't judge bands by the size of the venues they play in.
Old 02-02-08, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

stadium shows aren't that hot. I saw the Stones and Police at stadiums and know in both cases I much would've preferred a smaller environment. For the most part, stadium audiences aren't quite as into the concert as those who see a band at a club or theater, or even with good seats at an arena.