Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

British Sea Power: Do You Love Rock Music?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the name of the album...

Has anyone else heard this yet? If you have, is this album as good as I think it is? I've listened to it twice through now and it seems to be absolutely epic. I need to listen to it a few more times, but I think it tops most anything I heard last year. If you haven't heard them, they sound a little like an Arcade Fire/Wedding Present/Interpol hybrid. Here's a great song called "Waving Flags" off of the album (which has a very strange video featuring a bear flying a kite and a guy in what appears to be a badger outfit...). Play it loud:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w2n-7K0Ef6Y&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w2n-7K0Ef6Y&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Also, if you haven't heard any of their stuff, their first two albums are both fantastic and worth getting. They also have a reputation as one of the best live acts in Britain.
Old 01-21-08, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WAY too many keyboards. Sorry, that is not "rock". Well, at least not my kind of rock!
Old 01-21-08, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
WAY too many keyboards. Sorry, that is not "rock". Well, at least not my kind of rock!
I didn't hear any keyboards in that particular video. What exactly are you referring to?
Old 01-22-08, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
I didn't hear any keyboards in that particular video. What exactly are you referring to?
You obviously didn't listen to it. You don't hear the ambient noise (via keyboards/synthesizer) in there that is mixed way too loud?

Sounds like Flock of Seagulls to me!

Last edited by nodeerforamonth; 01-22-08 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-22-08, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love BSP and can't wait to hear this album. Looking forward to finally seeing them when they're on tour over here in March.
Old 01-22-08, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am pleasantly surprised by how good this new album is. I have their first album, which is good, but this one far surpasses any expectations I had.
Old 01-22-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
There are only synths in the song from the first second to the last. Other than that, no keyboards of any type.
Old 01-22-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
That's just the name of the album (I feel like I'm in a "who's on first" routine).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_You_Like_Rock_Music%3F

It broke into the UK top ten this week.

Also, Flock of Seagulls? Double-you tea eff, mate?

Last edited by Hiro11; 01-22-08 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-22-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
There are only synths in the song from the first second to the last. Other than that, no keyboards of any type.
No offense, but there are layers and layers of guitars in there. Tons of reverb, sustain, feedback and sympathetic vibration (as well as buried vocal harmonies) that make up the bulk of the wall of sound you are hearing. I'm not saying there are "no" synths whatsoever (find a recording in the last 25 years with none) but if anything they doubling sonorites to enrich the harmonics and basically fatten up the sound.

Josh, please don't attack and then not respond this time.

Gerry.
Old 01-22-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
No offense, but there are layers and layers of guitars in there. Tons of reverb, sustain, feedback and sympathetic vibration (as well as buried vocal harmonies) that make up the bulk of the wall of sound you are hearing. I'm not saying there are "no" synths whatsoever (find a recording in the last 25 years with none) but if anything they doubling sonorites to enrich the harmonics and basically fatten up the sound.
I don't agree with your assessment at all. That doesn't change the fact there are distinctively synth sounds behind it.

Josh, please don't attack and then not respond this time.

Gerry.
I don't know who you are or what you are talking about. But either way, here is your response.
Old 01-22-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I don't agree with your assessment at all. That doesn't change the fact there are distinctively synth sounds behind it.
Help me out. Could you describe which sounds are synth and which are reverbed guitar?
I don't know who you are or what you are talking about. But either way, here is your response.
Wow, thanks.
Old 01-22-08, 06:38 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Quite like it indeed! Just got hold of it today.