Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Weezer B-Sides - why not one nice collection on one CD?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-16-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that some were already released as the b-sides to singles, but I'm wondering how come they're essentially holding back on releasing one massive collection of released and un-released Weezer tracks?

Tracks could include:

01: Superfriend
02: Longtime Sunshine (trks 1&2 recently released on "Alone")
03: Congratulations
04: Devotion
05: Starlight
06: The Organ Player
(this one really needs some production help, cause its a great song - just veeery looow sounding)
07: Mykel and Carli (found on "Blue Deluxe")
08: Brightening Day
09: Modern Dukes
10: Worry Rock
(cover of the Green Day song)
11: You Won't Get With Me Tonight
12: The Christmas Song
13: Waiting On You
14: Oh Lisa
15: Annie's Song
(cover of the John Denver song)
16: Lullaby
17: You Gave Your Love To Me Softly
18: Too Late To Try
19: Lover In The Snow
20: The Victor
21: Your Room
22: Zep Jamb
23: Christmas Celebration
24: I Do
25: Tomorrow
(yes, that "Tomorrow" - from Annie)

It would make for a great prelude to a new Weezer album.
Old 01-16-08, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be up for it as I haven't heard many of those tracks. I would say that any collection would feel incomplete without the amazing "I just threw out the love of my dreams."
Old 01-16-08, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely need that one. I'd also throw in "Don't Pick on Me", "High Up Above" and "Broken Arrows". Ya know, if there's room.
Old 01-17-08, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How do you not include "Jamie"?!?
Old 01-17-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
How do you not include "Jamie"?!?
Because it's already on Blue Deluxe, but you are right, he did include M&C
Old 01-17-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't have any Weezer singles (no local record store, and shipping is a bitch on things like that), so I would love something like this.
Old 01-19-08, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mparysz
I'd be up for it as I haven't heard many of those tracks. I would say that any collection would feel incomplete without the amazing "I just threw out the love of my dreams."
That's the first song I looked for on the OP's list. That song has to be there, even if it's Rachel Haden (of that dog. fame) on lead vocals. It's still Weezer and Rivers sicks back-up and I think takes lead vocals on a couple of verses. I haven't heard the song in years. It was one of the b-sides to the "Good Life" single. I used to own it, but I ended up making my own b-sides collection.

Another song that would be essential --and i don't recall if it made it on the blue album deluxe -- would be "American Girls".

Now I gotta bust out my b-sides compilation to find out what else would be great.

I have to agree with the OP, though. They're ripe for a b-sides release. They've got a lot of unreleased stuff, as well. So why not?
Old 01-19-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mparysz
Old 09-13-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Weezer B-Sides - why not one nice collection on one CD?

Originally Posted by mparysz View Post
The Rentals made a career out of that sound Rivers created, so indeed. For years, I thought it was The Rentals, but since I discovered it was actually "Weezer" allows me to lament even more over the degradation of Cuomo's music.
Old 09-14-10, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They could call it "Ben."

Old 09-15-10, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Andalusia View Post
Definitely need that one. I'd also throw in "Don't Pick on Me", "High Up Above" and "Broken Arrows". Ya know, if there's room.
I heard High Up Above and think it's a fantastic track! How this wasn't included on an album is beyond me.
Old 10-04-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

there's so many b-sides and unreleased tracks that are better than the last three albums "as a whole" that I have tremendous faith in Weezer to do the right thing for its fans. Two things really - either releasing a really good album that fans can be proud of, or releasing an album of just B-sides and unreleased tracks.

I recently came across such examples of great tracks that include, "Prodigy Lover," "Private Message," "Little Songs," "Mad Kow," "Untenable," "Mansion of Cardboard," and my new personal favorite, "Faith In The Light."

Others include, "How Long," "Cryin' and Lonely," "O Girl," "Sacrifice," "Zep Song (Not In Love)," "On The Edge," "The Sister Song," "Ev'ry Night," "Peace and Quiet," "Superstar," "Mo Beats," "She Who Is Militant," "Misstep," "Everybody Wants A Chance To Feel All Alone," "We Go Together," "New Joint," "Ain't Got Much Time," and "Porcupine (Spend Some Time)."

I don't know who picks out songs for albums, but they should be ashamed of themselves for leaving off material that would have elevated Weezer above what they currently are.
Old 10-04-10, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 148 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker View Post
there's so many b-sides and unreleased tracks that are better than the last three albums "as a whole" that I have tremendous faith in Weezer to do the right thing for its fans.
It's Weezer, though, so if they do release a B-side comp, it'll be an incomplete set, and every retailer will have its own set of bonus tracks. You'll be able to get 'em all, but you'll have to buy seven copies and drive around all day.
Old 10-05-10, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
It's Weezer, though, so if they do release a B-side comp, it'll be an incomplete set, and every retailer will have its own set of bonus tracks. You'll be able to get 'em all, but you'll have to buy seven copies and drive around all day.
Isn't that basically what they're doing with the upcoming "Death to False Metal" collection? They said there would be different tracklists for different physical/digital outlets and people would have to collect them all.