DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Need Help, female fronted rock/metal mix cd (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/521531-need-help-female-fronted-rock-metal-mix-cd.html)

Heat 01-05-08 02:23 AM

Concrete Blonde - listen to the "Bloodletting album", particularly "Forever, Wendy".

Speaking of Letters to Cleo, I was just reading about the lead singer - she's now doing backup for the Hannah Montana tour.

Rypro 525 01-05-08 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by mparysz
There's of course a ton more. Do songs with boy/girl vocals intertwined meet the criteria or do they have to be strictly female?

eh, since i currently have "bye bye beautiful" by Nightwish on the mix (the bass player does the vocals for the chorus)
Thanks for the suggestions.
Thus far i've added
the Distillers "Add the Blood"
Kelly Osbourne "shut up" (i was tempted on adding papa don't preach, i actually like that song.)
the Dollyrots "Because I'm Awsome"
In Flames "dead end"
and 2 you all haven't mentioned (that i kinda just thought off
Light This City "The Unwelcome Savior" (def. fits the heavyness i was looking for.)
The Faders "No Sleep Tonight" (from the veronica mars soundtrack)

I need like 2 or 3 more.

nodeerforamonth 01-05-08 11:26 AM

oh, how could I forget X?

johnbook 01-05-08 11:43 AM

Avril Lavigne - Losing Grip

Kelly Clarkson - Low

Hole - Celebrity Skin

Heart - Barracuda, Magic Man, Crazy on You

Tscott 01-05-08 09:12 PM

Auf Der Mar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWVQGqyl60w

JasonF 01-06-08 07:53 PM

True Confessions by the Beards

LiquidSky 01-07-08 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
oh, how could I forget X?

Me too! I love me some X! Billy Zoom! :rock:

LiquidSky 01-07-08 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF

True Confessions by the Beards

Very cool. I like The Beards too. Lisa and Kim are cool.

superdeluxe 01-07-08 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tscott
Anyone say early PJ Harvey yet?

Are you thinking of Tracy Bonham's "Mother, Mother"?

Actually, it was PJ Harvey. I was thinking of the usage of daughter in that one song 'Down by the Water'

Although I also liked Mother, Mother :)

Trout 01-07-08 03:28 PM

Theatre of Tragedy
Leaves' Eyes

The Bus 01-08-08 09:48 AM

To people recommending Avril Lavigne and Kelly Clarkson: :lol:

JAA 01-09-08 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
To people recommending Avril Lavigne and Kelly Clarkson: :lol:

Why is that humorous? Both are on the thread-starter's list (as examples). :)

DrRingDing 01-09-08 09:56 AM

I still think <b>Eisley</b> would fit beautifully in that mix! ;)
-ringding-

nodeerforamonth 01-09-08 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by JAA
Why is that humorous? Both are on the thread-starter's list (as examples). :)

They are neither "rock" nor "metal". It's funny because popular music is so weak these days that when something comes out that even kind of/almost/sort of has a guitar in it, it sounds like it's "rock" or "metal". But's it's not.

Rypro 525 01-10-08 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
They are neither "rock" nor "metal". It's funny because popular music is so weak these days that when something comes out that even kind of/almost/sort of has a guitar in it, it sounds like it's "rock" or "metal". But's it's not.

As the thread starter, i mainly wanted something that was female fronted, with all real instruments. Hell, i even have 'Rehab" by Amy Winehouse on their currently, and i know that sure as hell isn't 'rock' music. I'm even tempted (mainly to fill the sucker as much as humanly possible) of putting the faux pop punk part of the Fergie song "Mary Janes Shoes" ,also since i like the song too.

edclem 01-10-08 01:29 PM

Within Temptation
Tristania

Also, while not technically female fronted, they use a TON of female vocals, so I'll add to the list:
Therion

(I was going to suggest Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, The Gathering, and Theatre of Tragedy, but they're already taken)

nodeerforamonth 01-10-08 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
As the thread starter, i mainly wanted something that was female fronted, with all real instruments.

Well the thread says "female fronted rock/metal mix cd". Maybe it should have said "female fronted mix CD". Either way, I hope you checked out all our suggestions and got turned onto something new!

argh923 01-10-08 11:26 PM

Avril Lavigne? Seriously?

Put some Paramore on there.

EDIT: Whoops, you did.

Rypro 525 01-11-08 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by edclem
Within Temptation
Tristania

Also, while not technically female fronted, they use a TON of female vocals, so I'll add to the list:
Therion

(I was going to suggest Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, The Gathering, and Theatre of Tragedy, but they're already taken)

I am debating with Nightwish if I should keep 'bye bye beautiful' or if i should relpace it with Nemo. While i really like the new singer, i am not a big fan of the male singer. For some reason, the screaming he does on their albums seems out of place, compared to the sweet sounding female vocals. Should be done by tomorrow and i will post the final track listing (and i have used some of your suggestions.

Rypro 525 01-11-08 01:50 AM

Kay, finished, all i need to do is burn the mfer sometime tomorrow (don't have a cd on me). Thanks for the suggestions, and thanks to itunes for having them all (and not fuckin freezing on me lol).
24 tracks in all
1. "I Can Do Better" Avril Lavgine (it has Travis Barker on drums, does that add 'rock/punk' credibility :wink:)
2."The Day You Died" Arch Enemy (according to the liner notes, the song is about the movie 'grave of the fireflies', something i've been meaning to check out.)
3."Breed" Otep (Nirvana cover, strange to be able to actually understand the lyrics lol
4."Because I'm Awesome" The Dollyrots
5."Cassie" Flyleaf
6."Halleluja" Paramore
7."Daddy's Falling Angel" In This Moment
8."The Howling" Within Temptation
9."Song With a Mission" The Sounds
10."Suck" Kittie
11."Date With the Night" Yeah Yeah Yeahs
12."The Unwelcome Savior" Light This City
13."No Sleep Tonight" The Faders
14."Changing Times" Walls of Jericho
15."Shut Up" Kelly Osbourne
16."Weight of the World" Evanesance
17."Nemo" Nightwish (decided to go with the older)
18."Hole" Kelly Clarkson
19."Take It Off" The Donnas
20."Drain The Blood" The Distillers
21"Bad Boyfriend" Garbage
22."Dead End" In Flames
23."Mary Janes Shoes" Fergie
24."Buisness Suits and Combat Boots" The Agonist (has a nice little piano fade out to end the album, got lucky i guess, got it from itunes)

Now, how did i manage to fit 24 songs on a 80 min cd? Used a feature on itunes where you can change the end and start time, essentially editing out the dead air between songs, usually 2 or 3 seconds, and using 2 really short songs. I had it at 78 minutes, did some reshuffuling of songs and what not, added "changing times" by Walls of Jericho which is 1:04 or 57 sec editing out the dead air, and put the little faux rocker part of "Mary Jane's Shoes" by Fergie, which only lasted 44 seconds, and i'm now at 79:54.
Yeah, it might not be all rock and metal but as Zach De La Rocha said "fuck you i won't do what you tell me" (and listen to my own thread title :lol: Now bash me all you want for some of the choices.