Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Quiet Riot singer dead at 52

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Quiet Riot singer dead at 52

Old 02-21-15, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 245 Posts
Re: Quiet Riot singer dead at 52

if you're looking to remain a viable touring entity, these unknown guys probably aren't the best option.
Especially if one of the replacements can't remember the lyrics.
Old 02-21-15, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Especially if one of the replacements can't remember the lyrics.
To their biggest song, no less. I liked the second replacement more than the first. At least he had some sort of presence on stage.

Jizzy Pearl is pretty much THE go-to guy when you're looking for a new singer. He has fronted LA Guns, Ratt and now Quiet Riot. Dude gets around.
Old 02-23-15, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
To their biggest song, no less. I liked the second replacement more than the first. At least he had some sort of presence on stage.

Jizzy Pearl is pretty much THE go-to guy when you're looking for a new singer. He has fronted LA Guns, Ratt and now Quiet Riot. Dude gets around.
I just saw the documentary this weekend as well. Half of it anyway; I jumped in after DuBrow was dead and before Frankie reformed the band. I was interested the entire time. Like you, I preferred the 2nd singer over the first. Those mistakes were unacceptable. I'm not a fan of Jizzy Pearl though and didn't like him on last year's album.
Old 02-24-15, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ytrez View Post
I just saw the documentary this weekend as well. Half of it anyway; I jumped in after DuBrow was dead and before Frankie reformed the band. I was interested the entire time. Like you, I preferred the 2nd singer over the first. Those mistakes were unacceptable. I'm not a fan of Jizzy Pearl though and didn't like him on last year's album.
I want to learn more about this Jizzy Pearl dude. But I'm at work now and there's no way doing a google search can end up any way but bad.
Old 08-21-20, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 245 Posts

Frankie Banali has passed

I remember the doc he did on Showtime a couple of years ago.

RIP

Quiet Riot drummer Frankie Banali has died at age 68 following a battle with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. The rock veteran, who also played with W.A.S.P., Faster Pussycat, Dokken, Billy Idol, Steppenwolf, and others during his five-decade career, was diagnosed in April 2019 and at that time given only six months to live, but he fought hard, becoming a spokesperson for the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network (PanCAN) and even returning to his drum kit for a triumphant comeback show at Hollywood’s Whisky a Go Go in October last year.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...212727615.html
Old 08-22-20, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Frankie was an interesting guy.

He could be a nice guy sometimes, but when it came to Quiet Riot after Kevin died Frankie really became a bit of a tyrant. He fired a singer when the singer was in a coma fighting for his life. (I know this because that singer was also singing for my brother's band, so my brother saw the termination letter that was mailed while the singer was in the hospital following surgery for a life threatening condition.)

He was VERY protective of Quiet Riot, even though the band was barely able to bring in 200 people a show at the club level. The death of Kevin DuBrow really messed with him, too, because they were good friends and Kevin hid his cocaine addiction from everyone, including Frankie. (DuBrow was such an odd case, too - cocaine is usually a social drug, but he used it secretly, alone in his home.)

I would have to imagine that this finally ends Quiet Riot. I can't imagine Rudy Sarzo and Carlos Cavazo putting together a new line-up without DuBrow and Banali. (Although Sarzo was in the original version of Quiet Riot with Dubrow and Randy Rhoads...)

Banali went through a lot with his pancreatic cancer, and he handled it remarkably well (or appeared to, anyway). Whatever shortcomings and faults he may have had, no one deserves what he went through.