DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   CD Collection - What to do? Poll (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/517914-cd-collection-what-do-poll.html)

WintersHolyHand 11-25-07 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by jlmace
1) Does anyone still buy CDs? If so what is your percentage of CDs vs. legal digital downloads?

I definitely still buy CDs probably too many. I have only purchased 20 or so mp3s mostly since Amazon started selling them. Digital downloads I only get if it is exclusively digital or too hard/expensive to get the physical copy.

2) What is the average collection out there?

I wouldn't say my collection is average but I'm nearing 6600 CDs etc.

3) Do you guys catalog your CDs with some software? If so, what would you recommend?

I use Excel for anything I preordered or want to get but for my collection I use Codeaero's Music Label. I tried Collectorz but I don't care that much for the UI even though I have settled on it for keeping track of my books. I have some of my collection at Rate Your Music under the name torso but haven't gotten around to added everything.

-wHH

Hiro11 11-25-07 01:46 PM

1) Does anyone still buy CDs? If so what is your percentage of CDs vs. legal digital downloads?

I haven't bought a CD in years. ...

2) What is the average collection out there?
I've got right around 2200 CDs, I used to be a fanatic.

3) Do you guys catalog your CDs with some software? If so, what would you recommend?
Nope, they sit up in my closet.

MTRodaba2468 11-25-07 03:45 PM

1) I have over 700 store-bought CDs. I occasionally purchase songs via iTunes, but I tend to buy albums much more.

2) Again, I've got over 700 store bought CDs, about 100-or-so burnt CDs from friends, and about 400 live bootlegs/demos that I've downloaded via torrenting, and burning onto CD.

3) I do, but very simply. I just type the albums I purchase into TextEdit, separated into categories (store bought, albums burnt from friends, bootlegs, etc.). My memory is good enough that I know what albums I have, without having to catalogue the UPC numbers and whatnot to prevent repurchasing an album by mistake.

wergo 11-25-07 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
My memory is good enough that I know what albums I have, without having to catalogue the UPC numbers and whatnot to prevent repurchasing an album by mistake.

Well, it's not necessarily about that. I've never re-bought an album by mistake either, but I do like keeping an accurate list of what I have, even if only for insurance purposes.

Plus, lists also contains info on which discs aren't first edition/country of origin pressings, which discs don't have booklets in mint condition or which discs have scuffed or incorrect (not matching country of production) jewel cases or trays, as I occasionally come across slightly better copies. I'll surely never have a collection consisting entirely of perfect copies of each title I want, but it's nice to have a checklist just to see that I'm getting closer.

monkey 11-25-07 05:55 PM

Sell, and keep on mp3

james2025a 11-26-07 11:10 AM

Well i have about 500 cds in my collection, but since iTunes opened i have bought maybe a handful of CDs at the most. I got pissed off with buying albums that had maybe one or two songs that were good and the rest were terrible. I listen to an album first before i buy anything and then i just buy the songs i like. Unlike DVDs i just don't think they are value for money anymore and are still overpriced. At least when i buy a DVD i might get a lot of extra material.

Big Boy Laroux 11-28-07 09:46 AM

I still buy CDs. you can often get new releases for less than what albums cost on iTunes.

I have a little over 1000 CDs.

I just use excel to keep track of the CDs. Not that difficult.

Giles 11-28-07 10:13 AM

I've lost count of how many CD's I own (and they are everywhere in the house - my partner really really hates that). And I still buy them... I am also purchasing vinyl releases that are becoming commonplace, again. from the UK. I also buy the CD's (and the magazines) that accompany 'music' magazines.

edclem 11-28-07 11:22 AM

I have a little over 1000 cds at last count.
I still buy them regularly. We (well, mostly I) have a big storage rack that takes up a wall of the office in our basement that I use for my drums. (i.e. the man room).

I don't do the download thing, either, for the same sound quality reasons.

I've been using just a simple MS Word file to keep the catalog organized, but I'm going to look into the Collectorz software. It sounds interesting.

meglet 12-03-07 06:32 PM

I still buy CDs, as long as I want more than 1 or 2 songs. If it's just one or two songs, I grab them from iTunes, although I need to try the Amazon mp3 store.

I have somewhere around 700 CDs, but I haven't looked at the actual count in a long time. They are scattered across at least 3 shelves, and I'm running out of space again. I really need to pick up another spinning rack similar to what I use for DVDs.

I tried Collectorz, but I really hated the interface. When I got a MacBook a while ago, I found a collection of software at www.bruji.com that has apps for tracking DVDs, CDs, games, and books. I'm not as good about tracking the CDs as I am about the DVDs, but it's pretty close. Helped that the CD software asked to scan iTunes for the initial import, since almost all my CDs are in iTunes.