DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   It goes on and on and on - It's Heaven and Hell! NEW ALBUM!!!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/515558-goes-its-heaven-hell-new-album.html)

B5Erik 10-27-07 12:30 AM

It goes on and on and on - It's Heaven and Hell! NEW ALBUM!!!!

From Black-Sabbath.com:

For Immediate Release -
There's been much speculation of a forthcoming Black Sabbath reunion with the original line-up with Ozzy Osbourne at the helm, but founding member Geezer Butler has adamantly denied such rumors.

"Heaven and Hell are currently in discussions with various record labels about recording a brand new studio album in 2008," says Butler.

Black Sabbath's recent incarnation as Heaven & Hell- fronted by Ronnie James Dio on lead vocals, sees the seminal heavy metal band undertaking a major UK arena tour this November. The band's moniker is taken after Black Sabbath's critically acclaimed 1980 studio album "Heaven and Hell" featuring the title track and the breakout hit "Neon Nights". Ronnie James Dio replaced Ozzy Osbourne in Black Sabbath in 1980 and the band went on to release four albums including 1980's "Heaven & Hell", 1981's "Mob Rules", and the 1982 live album "Live Evil", as well as the highly under rated "Dehumanizer" in June 1992.
I knew it - dammit I just knew it! When you saw what a great time these guys were having working together again, and knowing just how decrepit Ozzy has become, Tony and Geezer HAD to do a new album with Dio if they wanted to do a new album at all.

Is anyone surprised? It was pretty clear that Tony and Geezer love working with Ronnie, and I think age has helped them get over issues that got in the way in the past. Ronnie's still got it, Tony and Geezer still have it, and Vinnie still kicks ass on the drums!

My prediction is that once the album comes out the general consensus will be that the album is as good as Mob Rules, and a little better than Dehumanizer, while not quite reaching the level of Heaven and Hell (the album). Just a gut feeling, but it's based on how well this tour has gone for them, and just how talented they all are.

I can't wait! (New Priest AND new Dio-era Sabbath in the same year? Are you kidding me? Give me a new Maiden album and we've got the trifecta!)

Supermallet 10-27-07 05:00 AM

Damn, that's awesome! I would be surprised if it's better than Mob Rules, though. I love that album.

cdollaz 10-27-07 07:12 AM

The 3 new tracks from The Dio Years were all great, so bring it on.

nothingfails 10-30-07 03:15 AM

why are they no longer permitted to use the name Black Sabbath because of Ozzy? I don't get that. Considering the band lasted 20 years without him, it seems kind of strange and petty that they have to be "Heaven And Hell" instead of Black Sabbath when Iommi should own the name, not Ozzy (or more specifically, $haron).

B5Erik 10-30-07 07:56 AM

From what I've read Tony DOES own the Black Sabbath name.

He just wanted to sever ties with the Ozzy-era material for this lineup. The first time around (1979) Iommi wanted to start a new band with Dio, but Warner Brothers told him it was Sabbath or nothing, so he used the Sabbath name and brought Butler and Ward in.

This time Iommi is doing what he wanted to do in 1979 - use a new name. No big deal. This way no one's calling for "Paranoid," or "Iron Man," and they can play more Dio era stuff.

I'm just glad we're getting a new album!

cactusoly 10-30-07 02:15 PM

I think that there is more to the name than let on. In every interview I've seen they say they just want to play songs from that era, they don't want to confuse people and this and that, but everytime they say it you can hear that tone in there voice and almost see there eyes rolling. Regardless its still Black Sabbath.

as a side bar, if Sammy Hagar can be inducted into Rock N Roll Hall Of (sh)ame with Van Halen, Dio has every right to be inducted with Sabbath.

nothingfails 10-30-07 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik
From what I've read Tony DOES own the Black Sabbath name.

He just wanted to sever ties with the Ozzy-era material for this lineup. The first time around (1979) Iommi wanted to start a new band with Dio, but Warner Brothers told him it was Sabbath or nothing, so he used the Sabbath name and brought Butler and Ward in.

This time Iommi is doing what he wanted to do in 1979 - use a new name. No big deal. This way no one's calling for "Paranoid," or "Iron Man," and they can play more Dio era stuff.

I'm just glad we're getting a new album!

thanks for clarifying that. A friend who is a huge metalhead is who told me about "Ozzy and Sharon bought the rights to the name Black Sabbath, so Iommi can't use it without Ozzy", but what you said makes more sense. It's good to try to distance themselves from "Black Sabbath" so people will see them as their own entity and not hoping to hear Paranoid, etc...

The Cow 10-30-07 04:39 PM

I'd love to see it.

But that just sounds like a "definite maybe".

B5Erik 11-07-07 08:19 AM

November 1, 2007
New album with Dio Part II
A quick follow up. An interview surfaced on Komodo today where Ronnie Dio was asked about the new studio album with Black Sabbath Heaven & Hell. Ronnie confirms it too in the interview with this:

Q: There has been talk of maybe a new studio album from Heaven & Hell next year. Is that something that could happen?
Dio: Yes, we have decided to do that. When it would be, I couldn’t tell you. This is the last part of the tour after about 9 months on the road. It’s time for us to take a little breather. When the time is right we will get together and start writing for the next album, but as far as the release date goes it will probably be later next year.

There you have it, lads. It's looking promising for the 13 year overdue (when released) followup to Forbidden! :)

There's a lot of other stuff in that interview too about how the tour has been going, crowds, what Dio thinks of the shows, and all that. It's a good read; thanks to Blabbermouth for the link.
"Definite maybe," just turned into, "Yes, we have decided to do that."

cdollaz 11-07-07 09:17 AM

Dehumanizer