Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Saul Williams 'NiggyTardust' (Produced by Trent Reznor)-Nov1st Free Digital Download

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Saul Williams 'NiggyTardust' (Produced by Trent Reznor)-Nov1st Free Digital Download

Old 10-25-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saul Williams new album "The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust!" comes out November 1, online only. And guess what, you can pay a small $5 charge that goes directly to the artists that created it and not to any smelly fat-cat record companies and get a variety of high quality audio formats (192, 320, or FLAC Lossless), or get a lower quality (Which is still high quality 192) version for FREE.

Trent Reznor had this to say:

As many of you know, I've been working closely with Saul Williams on his new record. We've spent many hours together in hotel rooms, buses, backstages and studios around the world working on something we knew was great. This is the most involved I've been with any project outside NIN since Antichrist Superstar, and I've been impatiently waiting for the chance for you to hear it. A word on the way we've chosen to release this.

There are obvious similarities in how Radiohead just released their new record and the way we've chosen to. After thinking about this way too much, I feel we've improved upon their idea in a few profound ways that benefit you,the consumer. You obviously will be the judge of this in the end. One thing that IS very different in our situation is that Saul's not the household name (yet!) that Radiohead is, and that means we need your support on this more than ever. If you like what you hear, spread the word.

I hope you enjoy the music,

TR
Saul Williams had this to say:

My Dearest Friends and Fans,

It is my greatest honor to present to you The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust!,
my new album produced by Trent Reznor and mixed by Alan Moulder. The wall of sound that we've created is tagged with such graffiti that a passerby would seek out doors and ways to ENTER. Once inside a world defined by dreams come true they'd find aligned with the simplest act of sharing what we treasure. Most people aren't aware of the world of art and commerce where exploitation strips each artist down to ******.Each label, like apartheid, multiplies us by our divide and whips us 'til we conform to lesser figures. What falls between the cracks is a pile of records stacked to the heights of talents hidden from the sun.Yet the energy they put into popularizing smut makes a star of a shiny polished gun. The ballot or the bullet for Mohawk or the mullet is a choice between new times and dying days. And the only way to choose is to jump ship from old truths and trust dolphins as we swim through changing ways. The ways of middlemen proves to be just a passing trend.We need no priests to talk to God. No phone to call her. And when you click the link below, i think it fair that you should know that your purchase will make middlemen much poorer...

NiggyTardust!

love,

Saul
http://www.niggytardust.com/

Wanna hear some of his work? Check out his MySpace

Last edited by CKMorpheus; 10-26-07 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-25-07, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just put in for my free download, if it's bad ass enough, i'll donate $5
Old 10-25-07, 05:20 PM

I paid $5 straight up. Saul Williams is awesome, and he ain't rollin' in the dough like Radiohead. Plus I like that they told you the audio quality details beforehand, and let you choose your preference. Can't wait for next week!
Old 10-25-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Paid my $5. Can't wait to listen to the new album.
Old 10-26-07, 07:28 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never heard of Saul Williams. What type of music is this? I like Reznor; is this similar in nature?

Though I must say, I think the title is offensive. It's not even funny, in any way. Hell, I'm offended simply because of the Bowie disrespect, let alone the stupid racial/drug reference.
Old 10-26-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Never heard of Saul Williams. What type of music is this? I like Reznor; is this similar in nature?

Though I must say, I think the title is offensive. It's not even funny, in any way. Hell, I'm offended simply because of the Bowie disrespect, let alone the stupid racial/drug reference.
saul is an african american genuis of hip/hop. its often almost spoken word, but he has amazing talent. you won't find pop/hop here though, it is all very intelligent and poetic. The way he worded his statement is reflective of his vibe.

its not NIN ish at all in origin, though often the music behind it is very much so.

saul and trent are GINORMOUS bowie fans, and this title is in homage to that great album.
Old 10-26-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like to support artists directly rather than giving money to the labels, plus I like everything Trent Reznor has ever been involved with, so I threw down my five bucks.
Old 10-26-07, 11:18 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 528 Likes on 378 Posts
FYI,
I made a poll to vote for which option you chose. It's not my intention to take discussion away from this thread, though.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=515497

I'm really excited for this album. Trent the Producer is almost as great as Trent the Artist. Saul's pretty awesome too
Old 10-26-07, 11:37 AM

I will try it out. I hadnt heard of Saul before, but he sold me on his love for Public Enemy. I'll give it a listen and if I like it I will buy the 320Kbs version or CD. The music on his Myspace was good.
Old 10-26-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"a mysterious link" has appeared on thepiratebay
http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3858980

...this is not news, but it IS part of our sharing is caring motto, and Trent also posted it on the spiral, so it qualifies!

It's good, you can definitely hear Trent's influence, in fact barring the vocals it could be Trent! (imho)
Old 10-26-07, 04:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would have to agree with the other post about the title being offensive and disrespectful.

And it's not clever either. It sounds like an episode title of Boondocks or something.

Never heard of him before, and definitely not going to listen to his music now.
Old 10-26-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wahlers
I would have to agree with the other post about the title being offensive and disrespectful.

And it's not clever either. It sounds like an episode title of Boondocks or something.

Never heard of him before, and definitely not going to listen to his music now.
I'm sure Bowie doesn't care. He is friends with Reznor, and Saul Williams is making a statement with the title and I'm sure he wants to shock people with it.

Perpetrating ignorance is never a good thing, give it a chance you never know what you'll like.
Old 10-26-07, 05:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm trying out the free 192 version to find out what it's like. I've never heard Saul Williams before, but this has definitely piqued my interest.
Old 10-26-07, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 522 Likes on 399 Posts
Wow, I got an email about this morning in my Yahoo account and just marked it as spam and deleted it.

So never heard of the guy, but I have to admit this format will be the savior of music.

But calling Radiohead a "household name" seems a little funny to me for some reason.
Old 10-28-07, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts
I'll try it out for free, simply because Reznor is involved. If I like it, I'll donate the $5. Otherwise, I'll get rid of it. The little bit of William's work I've heard, I didn't care for it.
Old 10-28-07, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I agree.
Old 10-30-07, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As part of the sharing is caring philosophy, this megaupload link http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BHXQZPFX showed up on ETS. It's got the lyrics, the mp3, and cover art.
Old 10-31-07, 03:51 PM

New leaked track, I know how some people on this forum feel about leaks so I'll just post a link to nin.com. Good stuff!
Old 11-01-07, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just received the email... downloading now! =-D
Old 11-01-07, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

About a quarter way through and I must say you can definitely hear Trent Reznor's influence in this. It's quite good. 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' is my fave so far.
Old 11-01-07, 03:25 PM

This is an absolutely fantastic album. Better than Year Zero, in my opinion.

And to the people who are offended by the title: congratulations, the point flew over your head.
Old 11-01-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sethsez
This is an absolutely fantastic album. Better than Year Zero, in my opinion.

And to the people who are offended by the title: congratulations, the point flew over your head.
Absolutely, and they are missing out on one of the best albums of the year... Year Zero and this are tied for my #1 spot.
Old 11-01-07, 04:47 PM

Definitely one of the best albums to come out in the last few years.
Old 11-01-07, 06:28 PM

Yeah I am sold. He will be getting my $5
Old 11-02-07, 10:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sometimes it's not about the point going over our heads. Speaking for myself, sometimes it's about having the point shoved down my throat. And sometimes it's about tack and respect.

And, I'm not 100% against listening to the album, but I'm not going to take the time and effort to find a copy of it, when the title of the album combined with the statement that he posted about the album beforehand (the one that sounded beyond elitist and looked like someone vomiting up a thesaurus) makes me think that I won't like it. I also don't like rap and hate spoken word and poetry readings. So, call me crazy to assume from what I've read about him would make me think this would not appeal to me.

If a friend has it and wants to play it for me, I'll give it a listen. If it's good, I'll admit it. I'm quick to form opinions, but with the right information, I'm also quick to alter or change it, if I was wrong the first time around.

I'm just fed up with the musical kleptomaniacy that's been rampant in music over the past decade or more and it's made me touchy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.