Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Saul Williams 'NiggyTardust' (Produced by Trent Reznor)-Nov1st Free Digital Download

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Saul Williams 'NiggyTardust' (Produced by Trent Reznor)-Nov1st Free Digital Download

Old 11-02-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like this definition of contemporary art by John Waters, "At first makes me angry, and then appeals to my sense of humor, and then I love to live with it cause it makes me see that thing differently for the rest of my life".

I think this album has had a similar effect on me. Being a giant Bowie fan I found it somewhat enraging that he'd play on that album like this, but then I laughed because it's silly in a way, and now that I've listened to the album I see what he's going for and I have a new understanding of the title.

I'm liking it more than Year Zero.
Old 11-02-07, 11:19 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,206 Likes on 855 Posts
Originally Posted by Drop
I'm liking it more than Year Zero.
I told my girlfriend the same thing this morning.
Niggy Tardust is a great album (aside from the 'chorus', the title track is fantastic)
Old 11-02-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wahlers
Sometimes it's not about the point going over our heads. Speaking for myself, sometimes it's about having the point shoved down my throat. And sometimes it's about tack and respect.

And, I'm not 100% against listening to the album, but I'm not going to take the time and effort to find a copy of it, when the title of the album combined with the statement that he posted about the album beforehand (the one that sounded beyond elitist and looked like someone vomiting up a thesaurus) makes me think that I won't like it. I also don't like rap and hate spoken word and poetry readings. So, call me crazy to assume from what I've read about him would make me think this would not appeal to me.

If a friend has it and wants to play it for me, I'll give it a listen. If it's good, I'll admit it. I'm quick to form opinions, but with the right information, I'm also quick to alter or change it, if I was wrong the first time around.

I'm just fed up with the musical kleptomaniacy that's been rampant in music over the past decade or more and it's made me touchy.
Effort? Give me your email address and I'll sign you up for the free download in less than a minute.
Old 11-02-07, 02:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have dial-up.

I'll probably just take my memory stick over to a friend's house next week when I'm there for dinner and get it then. He's got some kind of hi-speed.
Old 11-02-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 499 Likes on 294 Posts
I'll definitely check out the free download later on tonight when I get home.
Old 11-02-07, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sometimes it's about tack and respect.
I agree it's tactless, but that's the point, and I don't really see how it's disrespectful given who made the album. The title doesn't exist in a vacuum, it has a context and a purpose that you're ignoring.

I can understand why you wouldn't want to listen to the album, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the title given its intentions and context.
Old 11-02-07, 03:46 PM

It's derivative.

I could accept it as a song title. But to have it as the title of the album, so it'll be all over posters, ads, etc. and as part of an album catalog forever is something I just can't even comprehend. Even "Weird Al" doesn't resort to parodying existing album titles with his albums.

Something like this strikes me as either stupid or elitist.

One question though. After listening to the album does it even make sense why he named the album this?

And, for the record, I'm not as bothered as I am with the album title because it offends me that much. It's not like Bowie himself hasn't used a bad pun before (Aladdin Sane). Granted, he wasn't making a pun of somebody else's work, but still.

I have more of a problem with the kind of person who would chose to do it. A person's actions should define them, and if this defines Saul Williams, then I really doubt I'm going to enjoy the rest of what he's giving.

But, like I said, I'll try to give it a listen later next week.
Old 11-02-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

this is quite a rockin' good album, because it's hip hop based it's hard to compare to Year Zero IMO but it is top notch goodness, and I'm quite pleased I paid the $5 for it.

anyone know when the Year Zero remix is due out?
Old 11-02-07, 04:22 PM

November 20
Old 11-03-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well maybe I am crazy (crazy for opening this can of worms again on here) but I like the 320kbs even better. Makes me feel better about ripping my CDs that way.
Old 11-03-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Well maybe I am crazy (crazy for opening this can of worms again on here) but I like the 320kbs even better. Makes me feel better about ripping my CDs that way.
Yeah I got the free 192 first and loved the album. So I bought the 320 version and I notice it's a lot louder, and everything is much more full and clear. The bass is much heavier too.
Old 11-04-07, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 181 Posts
I could accept it as a song title. But to have it as the title of the album, so it'll be all over posters, ads, etc. and as part of an album catalog forever is something I just can't even comprehend. Even "Weird Al" doesn't resort to parodying existing album titles with his albums.
Ministry has been doing it for a while, how do you feel about them?
Old 11-05-07, 10:45 AM

I don't really know much about them aside from knowing they exist and other very general info about them.
Old 11-05-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He has my $5 (I'm from the UK so it's like £2 for me!)
I saw Saul at a NIN concert a few years ago and was amazing.
Old 11-05-07, 01:51 PM

I don't really know much about them aside from knowing they exist and other very general info about them.
Houses of the Molé
Dark Side of the Spoon
Old 11-05-07, 04:07 PM

Oh, I looked them up on wikipedia and saw the album titles. I find it juvenile there too.
Old 11-05-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone care to discuss the music? I haven't had a chance to listen to this yet but the little I have heard seems great.
Old 11-05-07, 04:43 PM

Here is one fan's review. http://www.theninhotline.net/archive...cle.php?id=444
Old 11-05-07, 04:54 PM

Well, I started the free download before I got to the part about it being rap... well, I'll burn it to a disk and give it a listen on the way home. The U2 cover should be interesting.
Old 11-06-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Imail724
Definitely one of the best albums to come out in the last few years.
wow- does music suck so much lately that this can be considered one of he best albums in the last few YEARS?

I downloaded it, being a huge NIN fan. To me, it just sounds like some rap group decided to sample a bunch of NIN for their record. Nothing really new or groundbreaking, and certainly nothing I'd listen to repeatedly.

(confused at all the praise)

-jason
Old 11-06-07, 10:33 AM

i dont get the love either. it sounds like a mix of wanna be marilyn manson and wanna be tv on the radio.
Old 11-06-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
wow- does music suck so much lately that this can be considered one of he best albums in the last few YEARS?

I downloaded it, being a huge NIN fan. To me, it just sounds like some rap group decided to sample a bunch of NIN for their record. Nothing really new or groundbreaking, and certainly nothing I'd listen to repeatedly.

(confused at all the praise)

-jason
Yea, who would've thought people had different taste in things. I mean we all think exactly the same, who are few that decided to diverge?

I'm surprised NIN fans don't like it, it's got some outtake music from The Fragile and Saul sounds a lot like Reznor, plus Reznor vocally appears on a few tracks. It's beat poetry meets industrial. There's not even that much rapping on the album.

The standout tracks for me are No One Ever Does, Niggy Tardust, and The Ritual. Sunday Bloody Sunday is a good cover song, excellent choice.
Old 11-06-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Drop
Yea, who would've thought people had different taste in things. I mean we all think exactly the same, who are few that decided to diverge?

I'm surprised NIN fans don't like it, it's got some outtake music from The Fragile and Saul sounds a lot like Reznor, plus Reznor vocally appears on a few tracks. It's beat poetry meets industrial. There's not even that much rapping on the album.

The standout tracks for me are No One Ever Does, Niggy Tardust, and The Ritual. Sunday Bloody Sunday is a good cover song, excellent choice.
Old 11-07-07, 11:00 AM

I'm surprised that I actually liked some of this. The U2 cover was pretty good, as well as maybe 4 of the other tracks. I need to give it another listen to nail down exactly the tracks I like. Being that I didn't like the whole thing I don't particularly feel the need to spend the cash on it.
Old 01-05-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

from nme.com:

Trent Reznor 'disheartened' by state of music industry
Radiohead-like business model has disappointing results for record he produced

Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor admitted that he is "disheartened" by the results of a new music business model he attempted.

As producer of rapper Saul Williams' new album 'The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust', Reznor decided to employ a similar business model to that of Radiohead, which gave listeners the option of paying nothing for a download of the album, or $5 for higher-quality MP3s.

In a posting yesterday (January 3) on Nine Inch Nails' website, Reznor revealed the sales figures, saying, "Perhaps by revealing of all our data -- our 'dirty laundry' -- we can contribute to a better solution."

Giving the background that Williams' 2004 self-titled album sold 33,897 copies, Reznor revealed the following data.

"As of 1/2/08, 154,449 people chose to download Saul's new record. 28,322 of those people chose to pay $5 for it, meaning: 18.3% chose to pay."

Reznor added: "Is it good news that less than one in five feel it was worth $5? I'm not sure what I was expecting but that percentage -- primarily from fans -- seems disheartening."

On the positive side, Reznor pointed out that they hardly spent any money marketing the album, adding, "Saul's music is in more peoples' iPods than ever before and people are interested in him. He'll be touring throughout the year and we will continue to get the word out however we can."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.