Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Tell me about the Foo Fighters

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Tell me about the Foo Fighters

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-08, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is pretty cool. Just goes to show, it can happen to anyone.
Old 01-21-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by hippie68
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic, but I read an interview in Maxim magazine that he hasn't done a show sober in fifteen years.
No, I wasn't being sarcastic.

There's difference between "having a couple drinks" and being completely wasted though.

I have quite a few Foo Fighter live shows on audio and video and nothing suggests to me that he was "wasted" on any of the shows.
Old 01-21-08, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got to see them in Birmingham on the 19th, great show. Sounded like Grohl had a cold though.
Old 01-28-08, 06:53 PM

I am stoked, I am going to the March 2nd show in Az. This is my first FF concert...so I can't wait! I wanted to see Nirvana when they did the state fair circuit YEARS ago, before they hit it big, and of course Cobain offed himself, but never got around it...Definitely kicking myself for that...Who's gone so far to the concert...How is the opening band? I heard it's supposed to be Serg ? from System of a Down, and Against Me. Any answers appreciated, thanks.
Old 01-28-08, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by spammied
I am stoked, I am going to the March 2nd show in Az. This is my first FF concert...so I can't wait! I wanted to see Nirvana when they did the state fair circuit YEARS ago, before they hit it big, and of course Cobain offed himself, but never got around it...Definitely kicking myself for that...Who's gone so far to the concert...How is the opening band? I heard it's supposed to be Serg ? from System of a Down, and Against Me. Any answers appreciated, thanks.
When I saw them it was Against me (who were terrible), and Jimmy Eat World (who were great).
Old 01-28-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
No, I wasn't being sarcastic.

There's difference between "having a couple drinks" and being completely wasted though.

I have quite a few Foo Fighter live shows on audio and video and nothing suggests to me that he was "wasted" on any of the shows.
Yeah but you can be wasted and still play very well. Pretty much all musicians do it. The act of playing the music is second nature to them so they can get wasted and still play and you'd never know the difference.

I guess its not alcoholism if you're a rock star.
Old 01-28-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Yeah but you can be wasted and still play very well. Pretty much all musicians do it. The act of playing the music is second nature to them so they can get wasted and still play and you'd never know the difference.

I guess its not alcoholism if you're a rock star.
He does smoke a lot of pot. That's not being "sober". It's not being "wasted" either.
Old 02-08-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
I won tickets to see them at the Grammys!*

They are playing outside Staples Center in a pavilion at the Nokia Theater!
Old 02-08-08, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I won tickets to see them at the Grammys!*

They are playing outside Staples Center in a pavilion at the Nokia Theater!
That's awesome. You will be able to see them play with the winner of "My Grammy moment" I have been checking out the contestants and the final three are all great and one will have the chance to play with them.
Old 02-09-08, 12:25 AM
Banned

The Foo Fighters are the epitome of boring plain vanilla rock.
Old 02-09-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
No that would be Radiohead...Oh wait, I didn't go into a thread about a band you like and threadcrap...
Old 02-09-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
random fact:

Dave Grohl holds the record for most Saturday Night Live musical guest episodes

He was the drummer for Nirvana in their two episodes, was a drummer for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers on one episode, was a drummer for Tenacious D on one episode, and performed with his most recent band, Foo Fighters, five episodes.
Old 02-09-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's official! You now hold the forum record for single sentence thread craps that bring absolutely nothing to the table. Congratulations!
Old 02-09-08, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
No that would be Radiohead...Oh wait, I didn't go into a thread about a band you like and threadcrap...

How am I threadcrapping? The OP asks "Tell me about Foo Fighters" so I told him.
Old 02-14-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How am I threadcrapping? The OP asks "Tell me about Foo Fighters" so I told him.
Originally Posted by hippie68
My husband got me listening to their newest cd and I love it.
Are all their cd's this good?
I am thinking about listening to them.

It's not like this is the first time. Obviously you are here to dump on the band that the original poster wanted more info on, in a positive way.

Could I go in the "Radiohead - 2008 North American Tour" and say, Don't buy tickets because it doesn't say...I love Radiohead in the title.
Old 02-14-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Friend of mine sent me this. Its a set list from a show in houston last week. Can't wait to go on the 27th

Foo Fighters Set List:
Let It Die
Pretender
Times Like These
Breakout
Learn to Fly
Cheer Up Boys, Your Makeup's Running
This Is a Call
The One
Stacked Actors with a long drum solo from Taylor Hawkins
(Start Acoustic Set on Small Stage)
Skin & Bones
Marigold
My Hero
Cold Day in the Sun (ft. Taylor Hawkins on drums & vocals)
But, Honestly
Everlong
(End Acoustic Set)
Monkey Wrench
All My Life
(Encore)
Cover Song of the Rolling Stones - Shattered
Long Road to Ruin
Best of You
Old 02-14-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea, that as definatley a thread crap. Thanks Arpeggi.

Regardless. The Fighters of Foo are definately in my playlist although I usually don;t go out and buy their newest CD when it comes out. I usually pick them up when I find them used and I have yet to be disappointed. Can;t say that about MOST if not ALL of the bands out their. They aren't a ground breaking band but then again they'll be here years after all of the "ground breaking" bands have come and gone.
Old 02-14-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
My Hero should not be played acoustically at a Foo Fighters concert.
Old 02-14-08, 11:05 PM
Cool New Member

The Foos are an impressive live band. I've seen them once in 2005, when they were touring with Weezer. Their live set then was a mix of newer material off In Your Honor and their previous albums, unlike Weezer's set where 80% of their set was from the Blue Album and Pinkerton.

I was shocked with Echoes got nominated from album of the year. I have thought that One by One was their last studio album that you could listen to without skipping through more than one in a row. Most of their albums have significant amounts of filler material, especially the last two.
Old 02-15-08, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cdollaz
My Hero should not be played acoustically at a Foo Fighters concert.
Ah, I think it would work. The version they played on Howard Stern (I believe it was the first time they did it acoustically anywhere) was amazing.

I also would prefer to hear "Times Like These" in the acoustic set. Sounds amazing. (for an acoustic song).
Old 02-15-08, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Ah, I think it would work. The version they played on Howard Stern (I believe it was the first time they did it acoustically anywhere) was amazing.

I also would prefer to hear "Times Like These" in the acoustic set. Sounds amazing. (for an acoustic song).
It's not that they can't do it or that it doesn't sound good. It's that it is one of their most kick-ass hard rock songs and it shouldn't be used up during the acoustic portion but instead used to blow the audience away in it's original form.
Old 02-15-08, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i feel the same way about acoustic Everlong.

going to worcester on monday with fantastic seats i just picked up from ticketmaster last week. can't wait!
Old 02-15-08, 01:59 PM
Mod Emeritus

Correct.

The post is within the bounds of the general rules because of the way the thread title was worded.

No more off-topic discussion of this point by you or others, please.

This being said, where I notice a pattern of making unhelpful/trolling contributions, here is my ruling:
  • posts of that ilk in the wrong thread - as determined by me - will earn a 14 day suspension without further warning;
  • anyone tempted to make technically "ok" but clearly annoying one-liners (reasoned, constructive criticism is fine) should consider why they are here i.e. are they actually adding something useful to the thread/forum?
  • if anyone really wants to waste my time arbitrating disputes about what is or isn't a thread crap I should point out another policy that exists regarding posters that frequently skirt the rules and take up an undue amount of moderating time: they also find themselves suspended from posting.
I post this notice publicly for the benefit of anyone who wants to be a "smart-arse" and try to see what they can get away with.

No correspondence will be entered into. Back to the topic at hand, please.
Old 02-15-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just heard a live performance of Everlong on Stern the other day (I'm not sure when it was recorded, it was during the replay right before his show starts), I'd forgotten how much I like them....I remember that it was their cover of Baker Street that got me listening to them, very cool
Old 02-16-08, 03:16 AM

The Foo Fighters are one of my favorite bands and have been since their existence~!

I'm proud to say I've been a fan since the beginning with the debut album and have been folllowing them since the beginning~

I've been to many many live shows and never been dissappointed; even when the foo fighters weren't the headline attraction--they absolutely rocked whatever venue they were contained in -- leaving the audience, almost forgetting about the "headline" acts that followed...

I've been to countless foo shows and have never once left dissappointed~which is quite a feat~~Foo Fighters are one of the few bands that I feel that I could see every show in a tour and not ever become bored~ David Grohl feeds off
the energy and he never seems bored or disenchanted during any show of even an extensive tour...!

I've had some of my favorite concerts moments at Foo shows--and here
are a couple:

01. During a festival show -- the Foos came on absolutely drunk; during the height of the Backstreet Boys--and did their own version of "Larger than Life"

02. The MTV $2 Bill show -- a completely amazing performance in a intimate venue~The Electric Factory~they did a 9:00 rendition of "Aurora" from Nothing Left To Lose

03. Acoustic tour -- hearing the explanations of the song; beautiful and intimate venue; seeing Pat back and Petra..unbelievable..."February Stars"
is beautiful---I couldn't believe they hadn't forgotten about it and included in the set list

04. Favorite moment! During a Red Hot Chili Peppers/ Foo Fighters tour-- Dave came out to crowd singing a track---and I walked up to him--and he made this expression of horror at seeing my Woodstock99 Chili Peppers Shirt--I turned behind me and grabbed my newly purchased Foo shirt and quickly put it on over the RHCP shirt--he smiled and laughed and gave me a shake of a hand and a quick MAN hug--it was hilarious and absolutely awesome

I love Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters--Dave seems like one of the nicest, most down-to-earth celebrities around~and while I kinda miss seeing them
in the smaller venues--I'm glad their talent is being appreciated~

Additionally, they have tons of excellent B-sides/cover songs released through foreign singles, exclusive online tracks, etc ---

off the top of my head---

"Life of Illusion", "Walking A Line", "Normal", "The Sign", "Darling Nikki",
"Danny Says", "Baker Street", "Fraternity", and a solo track that David Grohl
did for the Touch soundtrack -- "How Do You Do"

there's also an acoustic AT&T performance that used to be online that is worth tracking down if you're a fan---it's a bit dated---it was around the
Nothing to Lose record; regardless, a stunning peformance...

LONG LIVE THE FOO!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.