Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Top 10 Rap Songs White People Love

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Top 10 Rap Songs White People Love

Old 10-15-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I remember having my co-worker at a previous job listen to "The Humpty Dance"....he thought it was the most hilarious thing he had ever heard.
Old 10-15-07, 03:11 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Was this list written in 1995? Seriously, I wasn't aware Positive K was even played anywhere anymore other than on a retro station. This list might as well be called "mainstream hip hop from the late 80s/early 90s".
Old 10-15-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UAIOE
I'm going to agree that most of those aren't "rap".

The only thing I will contest is the Vanilla Ice song. I've haven't met a person who liked that since 1991.
What are you talking about. Vanilla Ice is the best rapper on that list. Did you see the behind the music where he tried to explain the difference between his hook and Preasure Drop. "You see, their song goes 'da da da da da da da' and my song goes 'da da da da . da da da'. Totally different"
Old 10-15-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow every single one of those songs is played at the bar i work at on Tuesday quarter beer night. And when the DJ plays each song the crowd of white college students collectively goes apeshit.
Old 10-15-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
No "Tipsy"???
Old 10-15-07, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
Was this list written in 1995? Seriously, I wasn't aware Positive K was even played anywhere anymore other than on a retro station. This list might as well be called "mainstream hip hop from the late 80s/early 90s".
well, the old school stuff is the stuff a lot of "I hate rap" white people actually like. I am white, in my late 20's, haven't cared for rap since 91 or 92 (I liked it when I was in fifth/sixth grade, but once gangsta rap blew up, I lost interest for good) but if I was to make a list of rap songs I could tolerate and would probably enjoy for old times sake, most of those songs would be on said list, along with some DJ Jazzy Jeff, MC Hammer and Tone Loc and maybe some mid-90's stuff like Coolio, Bone Thugs N' Harmony and Skee-Lo. Definately nothing post 2Pac's death though. I don't like anything gangsta, I don't really fit in with anything that stands for, but the party type stuff from the 80's and early 90's was fun.

Last edited by nothingfails; 10-15-07 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-16-07, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am a bit appalled at their lack of Heavy D. He's not really "rap", but then neither is most of what is on that list.

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
What are you talking about. Vanilla Ice is the best rapper on that list. Did you see the behind the music where he tried to explain the difference between his hook and Preasure Drop. "You see, their song goes 'da da da da da da da' and my song goes 'da da da da . da da da'. Totally different"
I'll take "Under Pressure" over "Ice Ice Baby" any day.
Old 10-16-07, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I'll take "Under Pressure" over "Ice Ice Baby" any day.

YOU are a rebel!
Old 10-16-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, what was rap 15 years ago and what is rap today are different things. I mean, a lot of what people considered rock music 30-35 years ago would be laughed at today if they were played on rock stations. For a lot of us who grew up and remember when rap music was fun and rappers weren't all about living a violent lifestyle, who has been shot the most times and are still alive, etc..., we remember when all the aforementioned artists were played on Yo MTV Raps. Vanilla Ice should be removed from the list and replaced by Run DMC or something like that, VI was a joke then and he is still one now.

What hip hop morphed into is something I just don't identify with. As a white man, I already know I'm considered unwelcome (yea, I know of Eminem, but look how much The Source has tried to destroy his standing in the community because they hate whites so badly and it hurts them to see a white rapper who isn't a novelty and a joke), and the fact that I am gay seals the deal, outside of Kanye West, how many pro-gay rappers are there? I generally dislike the image a lot of rap music represents. You guys are millionaires, now that you're out of "the hood", why not try to stay out of it and enjoy your new life instead of trying to slum and keep the violent lifestyle you had beforehand. There is enough music out there that is inclusive and accepting of types like myself that I don't see any point in wasting my time listening to a genre of music that represents things I don't agree with and where I have two strikes against me because of the skin color I am and the sex I prefer.

The stuff on this list is fun, there's no doubt about it. May be tacky and old but give me "Bust A Move" or "U Can't Touch This" over anything 50 Cent has recorded, at least the earlier songs were fun and charismatic.
Old 10-16-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would probably replace the Pos K song with Cypress Hill's Insane in the Brain, but the list seems pretty accurate. I can remember many of my friends who were not even that into rap listening to a good portion of these tracks back in the early 90's.
Old 10-16-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nothingfails
The stuff on this list is fun, there's no doubt about it. May be tacky and old but give me "Bust A Move" or "U Can't Touch This" over anything 50 Cent has recorded, at least the earlier songs were fun and charismatic.
I think thats where the problem is, newer songs just aren't fun anymore.
Old 10-16-07, 02:56 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
I agree "Wild Thing" should have been in the top ten. Also the list is missing L.L. Cool J's "Mama Said Knock You Out", loved the song and the video, even though I generally hate all rap. L.L. definitely channels Mike Tyson during the song.
Old 10-16-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PerryD
I agree "Wild Thing" should have been in the top ten. Also the list is missing L.L. Cool J's "Mama Said Knock You Out", loved the song and the video, even though I generally hate all rap. L.L. definitely channels Mike Tyson during the song.
I agree with that. I remember even the metal loving kids in my class who didn't care for anything rap loved Mama Said Knock You Out. It was a hard rock song disguised as rap.
Old 10-16-07, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

jump around is still a kick ass song.
shit...the whole cds is great.
Old 10-19-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 370 Likes on 264 Posts
Hip Hop Horray over OPP?
Old 10-19-07, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Last edited by inri222; 10-19-07 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-19-07, 09:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nothingfails
well, what was rap 15 years ago and what is rap today are different things. I mean, a lot of what people considered rock music 30-35 years ago would be laughed at today if they were played on rock stations. For a lot of us who grew up and remember when rap music was fun and rappers weren't all about living a violent lifestyle, who has been shot the most times and are still alive, etc..., we remember when all the aforementioned artists were played on Yo MTV Raps. Vanilla Ice should be removed from the list and replaced by Run DMC or something like that, VI was a joke then and he is still one now.

What hip hop morphed into is something I just don't identify with. As a white man, I already know I'm considered unwelcome (yea, I know of Eminem, but look how much The Source has tried to destroy his standing in the community because they hate whites so badly and it hurts them to see a white rapper who isn't a novelty and a joke), and the fact that I am gay seals the deal, outside of Kanye West, how many pro-gay rappers are there? I generally dislike the image a lot of rap music represents. You guys are millionaires, now that you're out of "the hood", why not try to stay out of it and enjoy your new life instead of trying to slum and keep the violent lifestyle you had beforehand. There is enough music out there that is inclusive and accepting of types like myself that I don't see any point in wasting my time listening to a genre of music that represents things I don't agree with and where I have two strikes against me because of the skin color I am and the sex I prefer.

Extremely well-said. From a white boy who grew up in the streets of Detroit, I completely agree.
Old 10-20-07, 12:26 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Wow...white people are lame!
Comedian: Yo, check this out: black guys drive a car like this.
[Leans back, as though his elbow were on the windowsill]
Do, do, ch. Do-be-do, do-be-do-be-do.
Yeah, but white guys, see, they drive a car like this.
[Hunches forward, talks nasally]
Dee-da-dee, a-dee-da-dee-da-dee-da-dee.
[Audience howls with laughter]
Homer: Ah ha ha, it's true, it's true! We're so lame!
Old 10-20-07, 12:38 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
This list should really be called "The Top 10 Rap Songs that had Mainstream Success prior to 1995." Or, even more accurately, "10 Randomly Slected Rap Songs that had Mainstream Success prior to 1995."

Speaking of which, here's one they forgot and that nobody else mentioned:

Honorable mention to this one (at least they had a different Naughty by Nature song on the list):

And, of course:

Anyway, they sure pegged this white boy wrong. I don't listen to much rap, but to the extent I do, the stuff I like didn't make the list. My top 10 would be mostly Public Enemy and the Beasties, with some NWA and Jay-Z.
Old 10-20-07, 07:27 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
All the white people I know (including myself) love "Fight the Power." I guess my friends are just cooler than the friends of people who write for Cats and Beer...