DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   New Radiohead Album - In Rainbows (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/513137-new-radiohead-album-rainbows.html)

yojimbo44 09-28-07 01:54 PM

New Radiohead Album?

according to this website...

http://www.radioheadlp7.com/007788/lp7.cfm

...there will be news on a new album in just over an hour. Interesting.

astrochimp 09-28-07 02:59 PM

Id love a new Radiohead album but im not holding my breath.

Hollowgen 09-28-07 03:35 PM

it says 3.5 hours...

Matt 09-28-07 04:04 PM

It's up now!

Go, go, go!!!

Liver&Onions 09-28-07 04:11 PM

lame as hell. Don't bother going to the site.

I did hear some new radiohead on the radio a couple weeks ago however....

auto 09-28-07 04:12 PM

lame...

1/5

They get a point because I bought it.

yojimbo44 09-29-07 07:44 PM

D'OH ! my bad...sorry.

Metrodub 09-30-07 08:10 PM

According to Pitchfork, the new album will be released in 10 days...http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/n...bum-aaaaaaahhh

FrozenMetalHead 09-30-07 08:23 PM

So...I can get the super-deluxe CD + Vinyl + Bonus CD & Vinyl + Book + Download for about $80? Any confirmation that this will be available on CD (and bonus CD) only? I really don't want to start wading into Radiohead vinyl. My OCD will require me to acquire the entire back catalog on vinyl.

Regardless....Can't wait!!!!!1!!!

CloverClover 09-30-07 08:28 PM

awesome! I thought this was delayed until '08, just ordered the box, seems they'll make a fortune off this!

fiver 09-30-07 09:45 PM

I really love the fact that Radiohead is attempting to market their new material themselves via their web site (guess we'll see how much a label distribution will help or hurt them). I'm very disappointed at the options I have though. I really don't want to spend $80 on the discbox as I just want the album (and bonus materials) on CD..I could care less about vinyl and the other extras. I also have little interest in a download only UNLESS it were in a lossless format like FLAC which I imagine it's not.

October is a huge month for me musically (Bruce Springsteen, Marc Cohn, The Cult, Seal, Annie Lennox) that I may have to wait on this one if those are my only options.

Michael

cdollaz 09-30-07 09:50 PM

If they don't make it available on cd only, I'll just download it.

Arpeggi 10-01-07 08:36 AM

Arpeggi!

(nowcalled Weird Fishes/Arpeggi)

Arpeggi 10-01-07 08:36 AM

Site is getting hammered.

auto 10-01-07 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
If they don't make it available on cd only, I'll just download it.

Agreed. I LOVE Radiohead but I'm not paying $80.00 for their new album. I'll download it now and buy it when it is traditionally released.

Hollowgen 10-01-07 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Site is getting hammered.

no joke. all i want to do is read the details.

GoVegan 10-01-07 11:00 AM

Yikes. The most I've ever paid for a 2 LP vinyl set is $30 and the most for a 2 CD release is $20. This looks like a cool package, but I've been spoiled lately by bands like Wilco and Interpol including copies of the CD with the vinyl. I don't think I can justify paying my max for CD and vinyl copies of the same album and then an additional $30 for a book/box.

I'm sure they're not going to make a killing on these, but I wonder if they could have brought costs down slightly by just having a set number on the release, instead of making some indeterminate number of them.

TripWire 10-01-07 11:58 AM

mad respect to Radiohead for doing this...a donation of whatever you want to pay for a digital download is real ballsy, especially without a record label. The price of not having a physical copy is worth such a FU to the big labels out there.

auto 10-01-07 12:14 PM

Radiohead tells fans to pay what they want for album
By Kate Holton

LONDON (Reuters) - Radiohead, one of the world's most influential rock bands, plans to sell its new album from its Web site as a digital download and let fans choose what they want to pay.

With music sales in decline globally for seven successive years, the industry is engaged in a debate over how best to reverse the trend.

Radiohead said its seventh studio album "In Rainbows" would be available from Radiohead.com from October 10 in MP3 format, meaning it can be played on all digital devices. In the latest twist in the move to digital music, fans can choose how much to pay, or can pay nothing if they prefer.

The band will also offer a special edition boxed set for 40 pounds ($82) which will be available later and will include two vinyl albums, a CD version of the new album and a second CD with additional new songs, artwork and photographs of the band.

Music observers said the British five-piece, which is no longer signed to a record label, is able to sell directly to its fans because it has such an established support base.

"They are the first band to put their money where their mouth is," Gareth Grundy, deputy editor of Q music magazine, told Reuters. "I think other bands that have been similarly successful will look and, if it is deemed to have worked, will do the same."

The traditional music business model has been under pressure as piracy and the move to digital sales has cut into album revenues. A strong area of growth, however, is live music and any subsequent tour by Radiohead would be boosted by the interest generated by the album.

"The traditional business model had been ruined by the Internet," said Grundy. "The industry is still trying to work out what on earth the new model or models should be and this is just one option."

Radiohead's digital or boxed set versions could be pre-ordered from the group's Web site from Monday and a spokesman said the box set had so far proved the more popular.

The group is planning a traditional CD release of the album in early 2008.

A decision by U.S. music star artist Prince to give his latest album away free with a British newspaper was met with fury by retailers and the industry who said it undermined the value of recorded music.

starseed1981 10-01-07 12:33 PM

This is phenomenal. Kudos to Radiohead for doing what everybody knows and the music industry is failing to admit; that the physical media business model is fooked. I'm buying the digital and boxed release.

DVD Josh 10-01-07 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I'm buying the digital and boxed release.

Why are you buying the digital release when it comes free with the boxed set?

starseed1981 10-01-07 01:04 PM

Just to support the band for something sticking it to the music industry.

Phuzbox 10-01-07 01:09 PM

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/n...regular-cd-too

Okay people! Take a couple deep breaths, count to 10, switch the caps lock off, clean up the triple espresso you just spit all over the computer screen, and check this: that new Radiohead album, In Rainbows? The one that the world knew practically zilch about 24 hours ago? The one that drops digitally (DRM-free, no less!) in nine days, for a price of your own choosing? The one that's also coming out in a deluxe "discbox" in December? Well, it's also coming out in good, old fashioned CD format early next year.

No word on when exactly or through which label-- if any label at all-- but that's the news thus far from the band's publicist.

So, let's sort this whole mess out, shall we? You will eventually have three ways to pick up the seventh Radiohead LP, the Nigel Godrich-produced In Rainbows. It all depends how much you want to pay, which goodies you'd like, and how soon you want the tunes. Observe:

1. As a DRM-free mp3 download, beginning October 10 (and available for preorder now), via www.inrainbows.com (interestingly enough, last week's RickRoll, www.radioheadlp7.com, now directs here as well). This version contains the 10 tracks that comprise In Rainbows, and you can pay whatever the hell you want for it. This is basically the band leaking the album and asking you for a donation to access it.

2. As part of a deluxe "discbox", available for preorder now and shipping in December. In addition to the 10-track In Rainbows on CD, you also get the release on LP and as a digital download, plus an enhanced bonus CD packed with eight more tracks, photos, and artwork (and an LP of the bonus tracks), plus art and lyrics booklets and some nifty looking packaging. This thing costs £40.00/$81.00.

3. As a traditional CD, available in early 2008. This will presumably cost as much as traditional CDs tend to cost.

What Radiohead's doing here is actually pretty cool. Rather than preface their new album's release with the usual three months of press ballyhoo, only to have it leak at some random time before it comes out, they've kept it completely under wraps, then essentially gone and leaked it themselves. What's more, they've turned this into a moral question of sorts, by giving us the freedom to pay actual money for what amounts to an album leak.

Only a band in Radiohead's position could pull a trick like this. Well played, gentlemen.

UncleGramps 10-01-07 01:18 PM

I'll be picking up the downloadable version and making a donation since I want to support this sort of thing. Very cool. :up:

mdc3000 10-01-07 01:40 PM

I'm trying to figure out how much I'm going to 'buy' this for... I think somewhere around $5-7 is a fair price... how about you guys?