Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Radiohead Album - In Rainbows

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Radiohead Album - In Rainbows

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluesix
Anybody who has posted a review after one listen should be disregarded. Go listen to Britney Spears or some other disposable pop crap.

Radiohead albums need to be listened to all the way through, preferably loud and in the dark and you shouldnt even think about posting any meaningfully negative album review until you've listened to it for a few days.

For those dilletantes who feel they must share their unjustified negative opinions, I believe J.lo has a new album out worthy of your audiophile skills....
sorry buddy, but i don't think you're being "persuasive" enough to change anyone's mind...
Old 10-11-07, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't stop listening to Reckoner. Insanely good stuff.
Old 10-11-07, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody who has posted a review after one listen should be disregarded. Go listen to Britney Spears or some other disposable pop crap.

Radiohead albums need to be listened to all the way through, preferably loud and in the dark and you shouldnt even think about posting any meaningfully negative album review until you've listened to it for a few days.

For those dilletantes who feel they must share their unjustified negative opinions, I believe J.lo has a new album out worthy of your audiophile skills....
However, if I have a positive review after one listen, it's okay for me to post it?

Radiohead is my favorite band and I like this album, but everybody has the right to their opinion, whether it's after one listen or one hundred...

-ringding-
Old 10-11-07, 07:36 AM

OK, so after fighting with the download for a while - I didn't pre-order as I was awaiting more technical information on it and the site was having major overload problems yesterday, as expected - I finally got it to go through.

I was going in expecting to be unimpressed at best. I must say it's better than I thought it would be. While it was never one of my favorite unreleased tracks, it's nice to have 'Nude' out there, especially since they didn't foul it up completely like they did with 'Motion Picture Soundtrack', 'Life in a Glass House', and 'True Love Waits'. On the other hand, 'Reckoner' is abysmal. I'm not entirely sure how it's the same song that's been floating around since the tent tour. Even passed that, it's not great.

That's kind of my issue with the whole thing. It's not great. Not terrible, but not really anything to get excited about either. It is, however, a step up from the wreck that was "Hail To The Thief", so I'll give them that.

If I hadn't yet, "In Rainbows" helped me fully accept that a new Radiohead album is never going to mean anything to me anymore. Which is sad, really, because they used to mean so much, but we just grew apart.
Old 10-11-07, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by brokenhanger
OK, so after fighting with the download for a while - I didn't pre-order as I was awaiting more technical information on it and the site was having major overload problems yesterday, as expected - I finally got it to go through.

I was going in expecting to be unimpressed at best. I must say it's better than I thought it would be. While it was never one of my favorite unreleased tracks, it's nice to have 'Nude' out there, especially since they didn't foul it up completely like they did with 'Motion Picture Soundtrack', 'Life in a Glass House', and 'True Love Waits'. On the other hand, 'Reckoner' is abysmal. I'm not entirely sure how it's the same song that's been floating around since the tent tour. Even passed that, it's not great.

That's kind of my issue with the whole thing. It's not great. Not terrible, but not really anything to get excited about either. It is, however, a step up from the wreck that was "Hail To The Thief", so I'll give them that.

If I hadn't yet, "In Rainbows" helped me fully accept that a new Radiohead album is never going to mean anything to me anymore. Which is sad, really, because they used to mean so much, but we just grew apart.
What percentage of the songs on this album are old tour songs? That is to say, which of these are new since Hail to the Thief? I know Nude has been around longer...
Old 10-11-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Well Nude has been played on tour for several years under the title "Big Ideas". A song with the title Reckoner was played as well, but was a completely different song (floating around it's called "Feeling Pulled Apart By Horses". Also, a different version of the song "Arpeggi" opened most of the HttT tour shows. Besides that everything else was played on the tour last year.
Old 10-11-07, 10:03 AM

everybody knows that it will grow on you with more listens, that's what always happens with these later radiohead albums. but there is also something to be said for albums that did capture you right away..like Ok Computer and The Bends.
Some of us miss that, it's not that we are idiots who can only appreciate simple pop music.

I feel as though they simplify their recordings a bit now to perform their songs in a more layered way live.
Old 10-11-07, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by zoomgirl
How the *bleep* do you get this on your Ipod? I bought the box set, so I got the download today, it went to my Itunes but won't go on my Ipod! GRRRRRRR
BTW, I love the album....
Not really an answer but it went to my Ipod just fine.
Old 10-11-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I simply clicked "Add to Library", and it went into my library easily. It's just a set of MP3s, so there should be no compatibility issues.
Old 10-11-07, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by MWB
Because from that angle, he can see Radiohead playing in that apartment up there.
I must be missing some hardcore Radiohead fan bit of information, 'cause that doesn't help.
Old 10-11-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by C-Mart
I must be missing some hardcore Radiohead fan bit of information, 'cause that doesn't help.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R5X7HKxpiQA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R5X7HKxpiQA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

It's from the music video for "Just" from The Bends.

Last edited by Randy Miller III; 10-11-07 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-11-07, 12:43 PM

Cool... thanks... great song btw. So I have Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief, In Rainbows, and just Paranoid Android from OK Computer... if I were to get one more album - what would be the quintescential album to get? (I like the older song... Creep - which album is that from?) Dang... iTunes doesn't have any Radiohead.
Old 10-11-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Creep is on Pablo Honey, not a bad album, but just okay.

"Just", along with a lot of Radiohead's better songs, are on The Bends - you need to get that ASAP!
Old 10-11-07, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by C-Mart
Cool... thanks... great song btw. So I have Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief, In Rainbows, and just Paranoid Android from OK Computer... if I were to get one more album - what would be the quintescential album to get? (I like the older song... Creep - which album is that from?) Dang... iTunes doesn't have any Radiohead.
You're missing their two best by most everybody's opinion: The Bends and OK Computer, and if you like Hail to the Thief or better yet Amnesiac, Kid A is the best of the bunch. (Kid A is also my favorite album of theirs overall, but it tends to draw more mixed reviews in general.)
Old 10-11-07, 02:55 PM
Cool New Member

I like it, but I might appreciate it more if it were encoded at a higher bit rate. The standout tracks to me are "All I Need" and "Reckoner", as well as "Bodysnatchers". It does seem more similar to Bends or OK Computer that HTTT or Amnesiac/Kid A. I appreciate the durability of Thom's voice for almost 15 years. He still can get that falsetto, unlike other similar singers.

"House of Cards" is a major disappointment compared to the live bootlegs.

I plan on buying the physical CD release and hope that the second CD included in the box set is released as a single disc also.
Old 10-11-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I'm hoping the second disc being released will also come on the CD / vinyl, I like what we have so far but after 5 years I want a little more. HTTT seemed like one step backward after two steps forward, this new IR seems like half a step forward (or maybe 1 and a half?)
Old 10-11-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what are the odds this early release we all have is really the "bonus disc" and the CD included in the box set is the actual new Radiohead? I'm not a rabid fan who knows all the live stuff, but seeing as a fair share of this new stuff is studio versions of the live stuff, who knows
Old 10-11-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like it. Coming from someone who only likes a couple of songs from Pablo Honey and The Bends (they totally shocked me with Ok Computer... didn't know they had that in 'em). I LOVE Kid A and Amnesiac. As long as they keep putting out slightly odd, but pretty sounding songs, I'm in. And In Rainbows is right up my alley.
Old 10-11-07, 07:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
what are the odds this early release we all have is really the "bonus disc" and the CD included in the box set is the actual new Radiohead? I'm not a rabid fan who knows all the live stuff, but seeing as a fair share of this new stuff is studio versions of the live stuff, who knows

Too bad for the stuff on the second disc is also "live" stuff.
Old 10-11-07, 07:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Well Nude has been played on tour for several years under the title "Big Ideas". A song with the title Reckoner was played as well, but was a completely different song (floating around it's called "Feeling Pulled Apart By Horses". Also, a different version of the song "Arpeggi" opened most of the HttT tour shows. Besides that everything else was played on the tour last year.

Arpeggi was first heard at a Thom and Jonny gig after the HTTT tour. The song that opened the HTTT tour was Where Bluebirds Fly, a disposable instrumental that is on the b-side compilation Com Lag.

ARPEGGI!!!!!!
Old 10-11-07, 07:36 PM

This is your opinion, which is fine. But music has a different meaning to everyone, so your comments are just that; strictly an opinion. Who posted a review anyways? Nobody that I recall. I stated my early thoughts of the album after 3 listens. I am not saying there is no possibility of my opinions changing. Is that illegal? "All high and mighty Radiohead are above negative reviews, unless you eat, breath and sleep the album first for 4 months." Get over yourself. I'll say whatever the fuck I want because its my opinion. If you think I am an idiot, and I should go listen to Britney's new album, then so be it. Please don't tell me how I should formulate my opinions.
Old 10-11-07, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by mparysz
Not really an answer but it went to my Ipod just fine.
WAAAAHHHHH!!!!!
grrr
Old 10-12-07, 09:45 AM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by John S.
This is your opinion, which is fine. But music has a different meaning to everyone, so your comments are just that; strictly an opinion. Who posted a review anyways? Nobody that I recall. I stated my early thoughts of the album after 3 listens. I am not saying there is no possibility of my opinions changing. Is that illegal? "All high and mighty Radiohead are above negative reviews, unless you eat, breath and sleep the album first for 4 months." Get over yourself. I'll say whatever the fuck I want because its my opinion. If you think I am an idiot, and I should go listen to Britney's new album, then so be it. Please don't tell me how I should formulate my opinions.
Calm down dumbass. I was merely suggesting it was a bit early for people to be dissing the album 6 hours after it was released as was done on the first 4 pages of this thread.

Albums like this aren't built using catchy hooks that allow you to decide after a few listens whether or not they are worthwhile.

Personally it took me a few DAYS to warm to it. Aside from the first 2 tracks which sounds like they were leftovers from Thom Yorke's solo, the rest of the album is fantastic. At least as good as anything else they've done in the past decade. No, it's not Pablo Honey. Why would you expect it to be since they have sounded like that for four albums?

You gave up on it after 3 listens? Your loss.
Old 10-12-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
You are kinda being a dick.
Old 10-12-07, 10:22 AM

Calm down dumbass. I was merely suggesting it was a bit early for people to be dissing the album 6 hours after it was released as was done on the first 4 pages of this thread.

Albums like this aren't built using catchy hooks that allow you to decide after a few listens whether or not they are worthwhile.

Personally it took me a few DAYS to warm to it. Aside from the first 2 tracks which sounds like they were leftovers from Thom Yorke's solo, the rest of the album is fantastic. At least as good as anything else they've done in the past decade. No, it's not Pablo Honey. Why would you expect it to be since they have sounded like that for four albums?

You gave up on it after 3 listens? Your loss.
He didn't say he gave up on it after three listens. He shared his opinion so far after three listens, and even went out of his way to say they were early thoughts that might change with time, which is blatantly the opposite of giving up on it. Nothing wrong with that. You are correct that Radiohead albums usually take some time to digest, but that doesn't mean people can't talk about the process of digesting it. Get over yourself.

Last edited by wedge; 10-12-07 at 10:27 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.