Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Madonna, John Mellencamp, Beastie Boys top Rock Hall of Fame nominations

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Madonna nominated for Rock Hall of Fame

NEW YORK - Here's something Madonna can really celebrate: a nomination to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Madge joins heartland rocker John Mellencamp, the puckish rappers Beastie Boys and premier dance acts Donna Summer and Chic among the nine nominees for the hall. The five leading vote-getters will be inducted in the annual ceremony March 10, 2008, at New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

The other nominees are rap pioneer Afrika Bambaataa, literate songwriter Leonard Cohen, the original British Invasion combo The Dave Clark Five and surf rock instrumentalists The Ventures.

The nominations illustrate how far the Hall of Fame has stretched its definition of rock 'n' roll to incorporate a variety of musical styles.

It's certainly the case with Madonna, the Detroit-area native who burst out of New York dance clubs in the early 1980s with "Holiday" and soon became a pop culture icon. She scored 17 Top 10 hits in the 1980s alone and is due to put out an album next year, working with the likes of Timbaland and Justin Timberlake.

The Beastie Boys molded punk rock and rap into the goofy hit "(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right to Party." They became critical favorites and are still together, releasing an instrumental album this year.

Indiana's own Mellencamp can fill a barrel with rock hits like "Hurts So Good," "Pink Houses" and "R.O.C.K. in the USA." Like Chic and the Dave Clark Five, he's been nominated before without getting into the hall.

Some 500 musicians, industry professionals and journalists vote on the inductions.

digi would be so happy! Discuss...

Old 09-28-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
They need to just change the name to the Music Hall Of Fame as not to confuse anyone.
Old 09-28-07, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No RUSH, no sale !
not that the RRHOF ever had that much credibility, but really? CHIC? The Dave Clark Five ? - haven't they already passed over Alice Cooper, KISS, Genesis, Iron Maiden, Roxy Music, The Cars, Cheap Trick, Joe Cocker, Warren Zevon for chrissakes ! and Wolfman Jack - and they re-nominate Chic ?!?!?!
Old 09-29-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where is Joy Division?
Old 09-29-07, 03:52 PM
Banned

I agree with the last two posts, for sure.

But I like seeing the Ventures getting in, though that should have happened long ago.
Old 09-29-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

in the famous words of Cartman............."WEAK!!!!...LAME!!!"
Old 09-29-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Yea, I've been a "defender" of the Rock Hall for a long time, but there are just too many great bands getting passed up. I have no issue with the 3 in the title of thread, but as the "missing" bands get bigger, it's becoming more of a joke.
Old 09-29-07, 10:18 PM

beastie boys better get in
Old 09-29-07, 11:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by uncle-frank
Beastie Boys better get in, but not until after Cheap Trick, The Cars, and KISS, to name a few.
FIXED!
Old 09-30-07, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I guess it's time for my yearly post

RUSH!!!!!!
Old 09-30-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by sauce07
I guess it's time for my yearly post

RUSH!!!!!!
Second.
Old 09-30-07, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Hate to tell you folks but it's gonna be slim pickens from here on in. 90% of the true greats of rock are already in and the other 10% are underground artists who don't have a chance.
Old 09-30-07, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by yojimbo44
No RUSH, no sale !
not that the RRHOF ever had that much credibility, but really? CHIC? The Dave Clark Five ? - haven't they already passed over Alice Cooper, KISS, Genesis, Iron Maiden, Roxy Music, The Cars, Cheap Trick, Joe Cocker, Warren Zevon for chrissakes ! and Wolfman Jack - and they re-nominate Chic ?!?!?!
dude, get over the "disco sucks" mentality. Chic were definately very important in shaping dance and r&b music which followed. Nile Rodgers was a very successful producer working with everyone from David Bowie and Duran Duran to Carly Simon and Madonna. That sound was very influencial to an era and a lot of bands have sampled and tried to duplicate it.

Disco is classic, and it's okay to like the hair bands again too, as well as new wave. The late 90's teen pop stuff is the new "disco/new wave/hair bands suck" scapegoat, and at least that is deserved
Old 09-30-07, 07:10 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by nothingfails
dude, get over the "disco sucks" mentality. Chic were definately very important in shaping dance and r&b music which followed. Nile Rodgers was a very successful producer working with everyone from David Bowie and Duran Duran to Carly Simon and Madonna. That sound was very influencial to an era and a lot of bands have sampled and tried to duplicate it.
But wasn't his point that this is the Rock Hall of Fame?

However influential Chic might have been, I don't whether they could be termed "rock".
Old 09-30-07, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts
So, Chic, with their 15 minutes of fame Disco career gets a nomination, DONNA FREAKING SUMMER gets a nomination, but KISS, Rush, Genesis, Iron Maiden, etc don't?

And MADONNA? Has she ever done a "Rock and Roll" song? Why not just rename the thing the Popular Music Hall of Fame, and we can all stop caring about them snubbing great bands who clearly deserve to be in a "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame."