Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

why is Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" better than what came before it?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

why is Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" better than what came before it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Out of Bounds
Wow. No kidding? You didn't know that? I'm amazed to hear that a Floyd fan wouldn't have come across that story pretty early on. Must have been a sad moment for everyone involved. I've seen interviews with various people who were there and they all say that it was like the spark had gone out of Syd's eyes. Tragic.
Well, I fell on the Roger Waters side of the infamous split and even skipped a chance to go with some friends to see the non-Waters Pink Floyd in concert in the early '90s because I bitterly thought it wasn't the "real" Floyd (yeah, I'm an idiot). So I just listened to the old albums occasionally and didn't watch anything on the band for many years - heck, it wasn't until the DVD release came out that I even watched "The Wall" film version again for the first time in about 15 years. So, yeah, I missed a lot of stuff over the years.
Old 09-28-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
So, it's pot that makes the album good? Okaaay.
Nah that would be Animals
Old 09-28-07, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd peg Meddle as their first great post Barrett album. I enjoy it just as much as DSotM.

It's silly to try and smear Barrett's character by calling him an LSD casualty. As with most people who get that bogus moniker, mental illness was already a part of the picture before they started dosing. LSD doesn't make people crazy, it just exacerbates pre-existing problems. That should be obvious in this particular case since the rest of Floyd took just as much acid as Barrett and they survived (more or less) intact.

Actually, the rest of the band took nowhere near as much LSD as Syd. Syd was reportedly tripping constantly at around the time of his "break". I would say LSD sped things up, but so did being in a successful band. As for the rest of the band, they've stated that their main drug was alcohol and that psychedilics weren't a big part of their lives. Anyway, I think Syds music was great pre and post Floyd.
Old 09-29-07, 02:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wendersfan
FWIW, for me the demarcation point for Pink Floyd is when Syd was kicked out of the band for being an unreliable, lsd-addled, brain-fried distraction.
Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Fixed.

btw, I like "Piper" as much as the next guy, but their greatest works as a band, commercially and critically, came after he was gone.
Why did you "fix" something that wasn't broken and turn it into garbage?
Old 09-29-07, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
A major reason for the, at the time, revolutionary nature of DSOTM was the influence of Alan Parsons and the use of modern recording and synthesized music techniques and the Abbey Road studio, which as anyone could tell you, seems to have a sound of its own. Obscured By Clouds was not recorded there, and only parts of Meddle were.

FWIW, for me the demarcation point for Pink Floyd is when Syd left the band.
Have to agree with all of wendersfan's statements. Alan Parson did an amazing job of engineering on that album, which I'm sure helped transform it from a being a very good album, to one of the greatest of all time. He deserves a ton of credit...
Old 09-29-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Ginwen
Nah that would be Animals
So that's why it's my favorite Floyd album..
Old 09-29-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
Well, I fell on the Roger Waters side of the infamous split and even skipped a chance to go with some friends to see the non-Waters Pink Floyd in concert in the early '90s because I bitterly thought it wasn't the "real" Floyd (yeah, I'm an idiot).
No you're not. Floyd sucked after Water left. David Gilmour may be a brilliant musician but his post-Waters output with Floyd is worthless, commercialized drivel. And the concerts were just overblown light shows with studio musicians.
Old 09-29-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by cungar
No you're not. Floyd sucked after Water left. David Gilmour may be a brilliant musician but his post-Waters output with Floyd is worthless, commercialized drivel. And the concerts were just overblown light shows with studio musicians.
I went to one free around 1994 at the Rose Bowl. It was ok, but I don't really feel like I've seen Pink Floyd.

Originally Posted by Nesbit
So that's why it's my favorite Floyd album..
It's only my second favorite (gotta go with Wish You Were Here in the top spot).
Old 10-01-07, 02:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Snorker
Actually, the rest of the band took nowhere near as much LSD as Syd. Syd was reportedly tripping constantly at around the time of his "break". I would say LSD sped things up, but so did being in a successful band. As for the rest of the band, they've stated that their main drug was alcohol and that psychedilics weren't a big part of their lives. Anyway, I think Syds music was great pre and post Floyd.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. It's fairly well documented that Syd didn't dose nearly as much as was reported at first. It's also a practical certainty that the rest of the band seriously downplayed their dosing habits.
Old 10-02-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard John Lennon tripped non-stop between 1965 and 1969, where he graduated to heroin. It didn't knock him into a "casuality."

I think Syd Barrett probably had mental illness, which had nothing to do with the drugs. Back then, they didn't know too much about mental illness to be able to dianose Barrett properly.