Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Smashing Pumpkins : Are they really THAT Great?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Smashing Pumpkins : Are they really THAT Great?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-07, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I'd actually like this band had Corgan sounded differently. I like my share of weird or gruff sounding vocalists, but his truly grates on me. Seeing them live did nothing to diminish my feelings. I think the only song I never turn off if it comes on the radio is "1979".
Old 09-28-07, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Buckleyesque
Hmm, well The Smashing Pumpkins are sort of like a poor mans' Pearl Jam (to me anyway) - at least thats what listening to portions of Adore makes me think. What exactly is good about that album is beyond me, seriously. If rock music is to be perceived as a bunch of weird dumb noises thrown together, then Adore would win hands down.

Well heres the thing, Incubus and Lifehouse are not rock in the true sense, but they could be classifed as accessible rock - a few pop elements are there, but Im a sucker for power arena rock, and these bands do it fine.

I will say this in the nicest way I can muster: you have very bad taste in music if you think Lifehouse is better than Adore. Period.

I am going to assume you haven't listened to Siamese Dream or MCIS. You need to listen to those albums before you can begin to see what Adore is.

I love Pearl Jam, but they have 1/10th the range of catalog that SP has. You can put all their albums on shuffle and it sounds like one big album. SP's albums are very very different and immediately recognizable.

And I would drop the Lifehouse/Incubus comparisons entirely, because comparing pop bands to rock bands with serious musical integrity is a joke.
Old 09-28-07, 07:59 AM

I really dont understand when Incubus and Lifehouse became pop bands. LOL. Seriously?
Old 09-28-07, 08:33 AM
sk8r1189

I would have to say that I like some of there songs. Though its a bit rediculous around here (Northern Jersey), everyone is either a fan, and hates the new stuff; or a poseur and "loves all the albums they are my fav band." Its like the whole Nirvana thing all over again. In my opinion, I find them to be a bit over-rated. I would have to go with bands like Incubus, Disturbed, Pantera, Helmet, Queens of the Stone Age, etc.

Last edited by sk8r1189; 09-28-07 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-28-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Really? You can trim MC to one disc? What would you cut out :P
I don't agree that you should, but before I had a MP3 stereo in my car, I did make a one disc mix. I love the album as is, but for academic purposes, it had:

1. "Tonight, Tonight" – 4:14
2. "Zero" – 2:41
3. "Here Is No Why" – 3:45
4. "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" – 4:18
5. "To Forgive" – 4:17
6. "Fuck You (An Ode To No One)" – 4:51
7. "Galapogos" – 4:47
8. "Muzzle" – 3:44
9. "Where Boys Fear to Tread" – 4:22
10. "Bodies" – 4:12
11. "Thirty-Three" – 4:10
12. "1979" – 4:25
13. "Thru the Eyes of Ruby" – 7:38
14. "By Starlight"
15. "X.Y.U." – 7:07 (purposely out of order)

I may be off by one or two, this was a long time ago. But the above is probably pretty close.
Old 09-28-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by UAIOE
The one album I don't own (anymore) and refuse to buy ever again is "Machina". Over-processed to hell. I have to admit that the songs from this album are much better live and stripped of that studio processing.

There are some really good songs/variations on Machina 2....things that should have been on Machina instead.
I had the chance to speak to Billy after an Adore era show. I told him I loved the live versions of the Adore songs and what did he think about fan reaction to the album versions. I then asked him to respond to the challenge that if Adore had the live versions instead of the album versions it would have sold better and he damn near tore my head off. I love him anyway.
Old 09-28-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In a word....no.
Old 09-28-07, 02:19 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Melon Collie and earlier - Awesome, feature some of my favorite songs ever.
Adore and after - Ranges from so-so to barely listenable... a huge dropoff in quality.

But I strongly dislike Incubus and Lifehouse... "Drive" is one of my least favorite songs ever. And "You and Me" makes me want to punch someone.
Old 09-28-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I had the chance to speak to Billy after an Adore era show. I told him I loved the live versions of the Adore songs and what did he think about fan reaction to the album versions. I then asked him to respond to the challenge that if Adore had the live versions instead of the album versions it would have sold better and he damn near tore my head off. I love him anyway.
There are a few songs I like on Adore (not "Perfect" or "Ava Adore"), but it dropped off my "most disliked" list after that pile of over-processing called "Machina". I don't hate "Adore", I did revisit it later and find a few songs I really liked.

P.S. The only Incubus song I really like is "Wish You Were Here".
Old 09-28-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you looked at the entire SP history i would say they are not great but from Gish to Mellon Collie they are,or were great.
Old 09-28-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The pumpkins are one of the few bands that explore its musical boundries. None of the albums sound like another. Even SD and MCIS are different.
Old 09-28-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by abrg923
In a word....no.
In two words... never were.
Old 09-28-07, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
In two words... never were.
In three words: Hollowgen is wrong.
Old 09-28-07, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
In three words: Hollowgen is wrong.
in four words....dvd josh is right.
Old 09-28-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
In five words...I can't count.
Old 10-08-07, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by chino77
gish? i would assume most would say siamese dream. ive never known gish to be popular.
Eh, that's what I meant. I'm not sure why I typed Gish.
Old 10-08-07, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Siamese Dream was cream of the crop for me. I discovered them when Gish came out and instantly fell in love. They totally meshed the boundaries between the mellower "alternative" music at the time, and hard shredding rock/metal. They caught me with those killer riffs & and jazzy fills, but kept me with the soaring choruses. Then when SD came out, like a freight train out of distortionville, they completely destroyed me. The one CD that never left my side, in the car or the house, headphones on, eyes closed, that CD took me places I've never been since. I've yet to hear anything quite as thunderously anthemic as the tracks on that classic-IMHO of course. :-) and they delivered the goods on that tour as well-fo sho.
Old 10-08-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chino77
gish? i would assume most would say siamese dream. ive never known gish to be popular.
I love gish and it's their only CD I still own.
Old 10-08-07, 07:38 PM
Banned

Siamese Dream is their only great album and it's only great because Billy did a good job of ripping off My Bloody Valentine.

Their other albums have some good songs, that's about it.
Old 10-09-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Siamese Dream is their only great album and it's only great because Billy did a good job of ripping off My Bloody Valentine.
He didn't do a good job, he did a GREAT job.
Old 10-09-07, 01:50 PM

If the Smashing Pumpkins are "not really THAT Great?", what is everyones opinions on new bands that have come out after the Pumpkins? IMO The amount of quality "rock" music as of late seems to be very very low. Sure there are some good ones(Queen of the stone age,Mars Volta , System of a Down,Symphony X). But almost all of the post Grunge era rock music - pop-punk-nuMetal-emo is pretty crappy IMO.

And Lifehouse is a rockband? Don't get me wrong there not bad ..but just like The Goo Goo Dolls or Matchbox 20 ..I don't think you would consider them "rock".
Old 10-09-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi

Their other albums have some good songs, that's about it.

Mellin Collie was pure genius.
Old 10-09-07, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Pumpkins are fantastic. How else can you explain a lead singer that sounds like THAT making it? Their shoe-gaze/goth/metal was unlike any other music on the radio at the time, and didn't fit in with all the grunge wannabes who churned out song after forgettable song once Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden dropped the gauntlet.

Corgan's ear for melody, harmonics and FUZZ is unmatched, and their first three albums are masterpieces.
Old 10-10-07, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Y2J850
And Lifehouse is a rockband? Don't get me wrong there not bad ..but just like The Goo Goo Dolls or Matchbox 20 ..I don't think you would consider them "rock".
You could argue that Goo Goo Dolls were rock prior to the style change they did after "Name" hit it big.
Old 10-10-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by UAIOE
You could argue that Goo Goo Dolls were rock prior to the style change they did after "Name" hit it big.
Much closer to punk.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.