DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Debbie Gibson Vs. Tiffany : Who is Better? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/512496-debbie-gibson-vs-tiffany-who-better.html)

Buckleyesque 09-21-07 03:10 AM

Debbie Gibson Vs. Tiffany : Who is Better?

A store near my house has Debbie Gibson and Tiffany CDs (some in longboxes even) for a dollar each.

I used to listen to some Tiffany growing up (not my fault), but wasn't sure if this music is any good. Was thinking of getting these CDs as the entire discography seems to be available and I'm told most of them are OOP.

What do you guys recommend? Which albums of theirs? And if I had to go with one, who would it be.

bigjim25 09-21-07 06:27 AM

Heck I'd buy them all for $1 each. Esp. Tiffany's Tiffany and Debbie's Out of the Blue & Electric Youth

yojimbo44 09-21-07 08:08 AM

if i recall at the time, i think the edge was given to debbie gibson in terms of having a bit more musical ability...but of course what was really cool was that we had two teenage pop stars who both behaved relatively well...and we had to wait more than a decade before we saw them nekkid--fulfilling the dirtiest dreams of us pervs back in the late 80s who were thinking "if only...". in terms of this head to head match up, i think i'd go with tiff, if only because she seems to be a real redhead...

http://a692.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...5ddd9d492b.jpg

http://a877.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...8e914a07cc.jpg

but really, we're all winners in this battle.

Lastblade 09-21-07 08:24 AM

I would go with Debbie for the songs, Shake your love is still very catchy.

Spiderbite 09-21-07 08:51 AM

Debbie wrote her own stuff, so Debbie, no question.

If you want to go by hits:
Debbie had 9 Top 40 hits with 5 being Top 10s and 2 of those hitting the #1 spot.

Tiffany had 5 Top 40 hits with 4 of those being Top 10s and 2 of those hitting the #1 spot.

Demerits to Tiffany for 2 of her biggest hits being an awful cover of I Think We're Alone Now (Tommy James & The Shondells) and the hideous I Saw Him Standing There (I Saw Her Standing There by The Beatles).

Jmhouse 09-21-07 12:30 PM

Debbie (Goes by Deborah now) hands down for creativity. I believe she still holds the record for yougest artist to write/record/produce a number 1 single for Lost in your eyes.

I highly recommend "think with your heart" and "Deborah" the latter deserving a grammy nod, IMO.

What CD's are available, any chance you could pick up a set for me?

Lastblade 09-21-07 12:41 PM

Yah I would love to get some Debbie Gibson CDs if there are any extra (after yourself and Jmhouse, obviously).

nothingfails 09-21-07 02:57 PM

Debbie has more talent, but Tiffany was more fun IMO.

Out of Bounds 09-21-07 04:17 PM

Wow. Battle of the vapid mall girls. Which one is better? it's a fools choice from my POV. They're both hot but both of their songs suck. Ultimately I give the edge, when forced to choose, to Debbie Gibson for the reasons stated above: primarily that she wrote her own material. I respect that, even if I don't like any of the songs.

cactusoly 09-21-07 04:40 PM

Tiffany had a better Playboy pictorial so I gotta go with her :)

Kal-El 09-21-07 06:01 PM

Always liked Debbie all around. Both as a singer and songwriter.

LorenzoL 09-21-07 06:22 PM

You have to go with Debbie Gibson.

Amel 09-21-07 07:26 PM

another vote for DG. Full-circle talented.

TimeandTide 09-21-07 07:32 PM

This is a tough one. Yes, Gibson is the more talented of the two, and had more hits, but Tiffany's ballad "Could've Been" is better than ""Lost In Your Eyes," and the re-make of "I Think We're Alone Now" is catchier than anything DG did.

My advice: At $1 each, you can't go wrong buying everything by both artists. That might set you back, what, $5? $6?

ETA: Why isn't this a poll?!

bigjim25 09-22-07 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
ETA: Why isn't this a poll?!

Added a poll over in Adult Talk with pics. :D

Buckleyesque 09-22-07 04:10 PM

Re:

Wow, thanks for the responses guys. I have ta say though, I dont see ALL their albums listed. The Tiffany ones are - "Tiffany", "Hold an old friends Hand", "New Inside" and "Color of silence". The Debbie ones are "Electric Youth", "Deborah", "Body Mind soul" and "Anything is possible. For some reason the last two Debbie ones are at 5 bucks each but whatever. Im getting them all.

The only extra copies are for Tiffanys' "Tiffany" and all of Debbie's (Im guessing this means Tiffany sold better than Debbie?? At the time at least.)

I think I appreciate a good pop song when I hear it even when its 'unfashionable' to like something. Im mostly an Incubus/Lifehouse sorta guy so this sort of music is beyond my demographic. Still theres something kinda goofy and charming about these two and my cousin tells me that back in the day theirs was a kind of Britney/Christina comparison thing.

I think Tiffanys cuter. But you never really told me who has the better voice.

Spiderbite 09-23-07 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Buckleyesque
I think Tiffanys cuter. But you never really told me who has the better voice.

Neither has an outstanding or distinguishing singing voice. Tiffany's is pretty nasal & whiny while Debbie's is kinda flat/thin. The voice wasn't really the appeal of these two.

movieguru 09-25-07 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by cactusoly
Tiffany had a better Playboy pictorial so I gotta go with her :)

I just saw Tiffany in one of those tabloid mags. It had current picture of her and the article was about how she gained like 30 to 40 pounds. You wouldn't even recognize her from the Playboy pictorial. she looked like your average lazy 30 something housewife with 2 kids.

tommy28 09-26-07 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Buckleyesque
A store near my house has Debbie Gibson and Tiffany CDs (some in longboxes even) for a dollar each.

I used to listen to some Tiffany growing up (not my fault), but wasn't sure if this music is any good. Was thinking of getting these CDs as the entire discography seems to be available and I'm told most of them are OOP.

What do you guys recommend? Which albums of theirs? And if I had to go with one, who would it be.

any defranco family ?

nothingfails 09-26-07 05:19 AM

for $1, Tiffany's debut and Debbie's Out Of The Blue would be fun to get for old times sake. Tiffany's flame burned out very quickly, "I Think We're Alone Now" and "Could've Been" was a great 1-2 punch that she never could live up to afterwards. I do remember liking "Hold An Old Friend's Hand" as well, Tiffany actually tried a more rock direction there from what I recall.

I find it odd how long Britney, Jessica and Christina's careers lasted considering Debbie and Tiffany both broke onto the scene in late 1987 and were already practically washed up in 1990 (that was when Tiffany's New Inside failed to chart and Debbie's Anything Is Possible was a huge dropoff from Electric Youth). Yet the 1999 teen tarts all lasted until the mid-00's, with Christina's career still going on. Kind of surprising how times have changed.

Darth Maher 09-26-07 12:51 PM

I like both but if I HAD to choose:

Musically: Debbie (Deborah) Gibson
Playboy Pictoral: Tiffany

... for the reasons that you all have described above.

salamander2 10-24-07 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by tommy28
any defranco family ?

LOL! Or Marie Osmond?

salamander2 10-24-07 12:21 PM

I always liked Debbie, her singing, her songs overall production, energy, I vote Debbie.

Tiffany was blah to me. In fact, with Debbie dancing with dancers and all, I would say she had some influence in Britney and Christina. Tiffany, she didnt know how to dance.

DRG 10-24-07 01:26 PM

I have to admit I listened to both of them a lot back in the day. I'd have to give the edge to Tiffany because as a whole her albums had more depth. Sure, the poppier songs got released as single but generally the album cuts had a nicer sound, like Stevie Nicks-lite. (Granted I'm talking 'Talk to Me'-era Nicks, but still.) She gets a nice rasp going in some of her tracks, which makes me wonder how she'd do as a country artist.

Debbie's non-ballads pretty much all had the same synth pop sound. They were certainly catchy and fun, and I'd take "Shake Your Love" or "Out of the Blue" over "I Saw Him Standing There" anyday. But the albums as a whole just didn't stray far from that sound, and the album tracks generally sounded like more of the same, or worse.

Keep in mind I'm going by their first two albums, not any subsequent work I haven't followed.

Heat 10-25-07 12:02 AM

I was exposed to them because a friend had their cassettes and listened to them *all* the time in his car, but I was never a big fan of theirs. That being said, I'd go with Tiffany because I liked her cover "I think we're alone now".

Speaking of which, when she was given that song by her producer (handler?) she thought it was a horrible song, but it was the song that made her famous. And yes, I'm very familiar with the original.