Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Led Zeppelin to reunite with Bonham's son

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/tha...-taxeszeppelin

"...according to NME.com, frontman Robert Plant is in talks this week with fellow Led Zep legends Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones about a Zeppelin tour that'll hopefully kick off in London this November. Presumably late drummer John Bonham's son, Jason Bonham (last seen banging skins for celebreality band Damnocracy on VH1's Supergroup), will fill in behind the drumkit for the Zep trek."

Saw this linked on the front page of Yahoo just now. Damn. 10 or 15 years ago I would have scoffed at this, but since I am aiming to see all my old fart rockers before they die I have to go to this one. And I'd enjoy the hell out of it if it sounds remotely like 1974. (is that possible?)
Old 09-08-07, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
If they tour, I'd sell my mother for a ticket.
Old 09-08-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah. I'll be there as well.
Old 09-08-07, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I hears this is a rumor based on Robert Plant's conversation with someone getting an autograph from him. The guy said they were just doing a one off gig.
Old 09-08-07, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/tha...-taxeszeppelin

"...according to NME.com, frontman Robert Plant is in talks this week with fellow Led Zep legends Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones about a Zeppelin tour that'll hopefully kick off in London this November. Presumably late drummer John Bonham's son, Jason Bonham (last seen banging skins for celebreality band Damnocracy on VH1's Supergroup), will fill in behind the drumkit for the Zep trek."
It's not a tour, it's a one-time-only charity show. Here's a direct quote from your link, bolded for your enjoyment:
Incredibly, according to NME.com, frontman Robert Plant is in talks this week with fellow Led Zep legends Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones about a one-off Zeppelin gig that'll hopefully take place in London this November.
Here's the original NME story, with confirmation by Robert Plant:
Originally Posted by NME.com
Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant has confirmed that the legendary rock band will be reuniting later this year.

A reunion has been strongly rumoured for the last week or so and today (September 5) the singer confirmed it's definitely on.

A fan who met Plant in London today contacted NME.COM explaining that the singer said he was on his way to meet bandmates Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones.

"How did you find out about this?" asked Plant when asked about the prospects of a reunion show by the autograph hunter. "Well we've got a band meeting about it this afternoon about it. There's not a lot to work out as it's only going to be one-off gig."

NME.COM has also learned from a music industry source that the show, possibly to take place in November at the 02 in London, will be a charity gig organised by promoter Harvey Goldsmith.

What do you think about the band getting back together? Have your say on MyNME below and the best comments will appear throughout the day, so keep checking.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 09-08-07 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-08-07, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One can wish!
Old 09-08-07, 09:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Didn't Zeppelin reunite for Live Aid or something? If I recall, they were underehearsed and sounded it.
Old 09-08-07, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Oh, yeah - Zep played Live Aid and were embarassingly bad.

So bad that when the Live Aid DVD was put together they requested NOT to be included (and the DVD producers went along and left them out).

But I saw it live in all its glory. Plant badly missing high notes, Page sloppily playing an out of tune guitar - it was a glorious disaster of train wreck proportions (musically, of course).
Old 09-08-07, 10:58 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I first saw this on Yahoo's front page, I got pretty excited...then read it was just going to be 1 show, and cried in my beer for a few minutes.

I'm too young to really remember, but Page & Plant toured in like the early 90s, right? How was that? I think I've got the CD somewhere.
Old 09-09-07, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They also reunited at the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary party in 1988.
Old 09-09-07, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubya
They also reunited at the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary party in 1988.
And the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and 1990 Knebworth festival.

They did donate a hefty chunk of change to the Live Aid charity in exchange for being left out of the DVD.
Old 09-09-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully Robert Plant and Alison Krauss will tour to support their new duets CD.
Old 09-09-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
If Led Zeppelin would reunite and tour... that would be the biggest thing next to John Lennon and George Harrison coming back to life and doing a Beatles reunion.
Old 09-09-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My dream bill is Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. I would love to see these guys pull something together, but stuck here in South Georgia that's not going to happen.
Old 09-09-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
NME isn't exactly the most reliable source. They guaranteed a Pink Floyd reunion tour after Live Aid or whatever that charity show was last year.
Old 09-09-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

could care less.they copied their music.......(there has to be one person who says that!!! )
Old 09-09-07, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
could care less.they copied their music.......(there has to be one person who says that!!! )
Right, all they did was the same old blues music over and over and over.
Old 09-12-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.nme.com/news/led-zeppelin/31079

Led Zeppelin reunion: full details here

Find out where, when AND how to get tickets for the band's reformation
-41 minutes ago

Led Zeppelin will reform for a one of show at the O2 arena in London
it was confirmed today (September 12).

The band will reunite for the show in November 26, topping a bill that
also includes Pete Townshend, Bill Wyman And The Rhythm Kings,
Foreigner and Paolo Nutini.

The show is being held to raise money for the Ahmet Ertegun Education
Fund, which pays for university scholarships in the UK, US and Turkey.

The fund was created in honour of Atlantic Records founder Ahmet
Ertegun who died last year. He worked helped further the career of a
host of acts including Led Zeppelin.

Tickets for the show cost £125 each and they are limited to two per
person and will be distributed by ballot only.

Those wishing to go must register on www.ahmettribute.com to be in the
ballot.

Led Zeppelin will feature original members Robert Plant, Jimmy Page
and John Paul Jones, while Jason Bonham, the son of their late drummer
John Bonham, will play with the band.

The band will also release a new best of compilation 'Mothership' on
November 13.
Old 09-13-07, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Why am I not surprised by that? I really fail to see the point in all these reunions. Unless they have fresh, new, relevant music to create, I don't appreciate these efforts to artificially reproduce something that passed away many decades ago.
I understand your sentiment somewhat. I think if you realize what you are seeing won't quite be the same as these bands in their prime, then so be it. I saw the Stones last year simply because I never have before. The guitar interplay between Richards and Wood was disgustingly good. Nothing artificial there at all.
Old 09-13-07, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i am a huge zeppelin fan. i was born in 1979, so i obviously never saw them live.

i would never be able to go to one of these shows, and say, "i saw led zeppelin".

and it's not because of jason bonham either. because he's a fantastic drummer, and definitely does justice to what his father did (just listen to the jason bonham band playing zeppelin. it's damn good.).

but let's be honest, robert plant's voice is NOWHERE near where it was 30 years ago. he's the one who i don't think could do the music justice. not at all.

i dunno.. some things are just better off left alone.
Old 09-13-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mkdevo
i am a huge zeppelin fan. i was born in 1979, so i obviously never saw them live.

i would never be able to go to one of these shows, and say, "i saw led zeppelin".

and it's not because of jason bonham either. because he's a fantastic drummer, and definitely does justice to what his father did (just listen to the jason bonham band playing zeppelin. it's damn good.).

but let's be honest, robert plant's voice is NOWHERE near where it was 30 years ago. he's the one who i don't think could do the music justice. not at all.

i dunno.. some things are just better off left alone.

I think the only band that pulled it off was Pink Floyd at Live 8 whose lineup was intact and sounded exactly like they did in the 70's. Of course they're vocals were not as demanding as Zep but still have to give them credit for maintaining their sound after so long.
Old 09-13-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Geez Jimmy's not looking too good these days either

Old 09-13-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
He's not 25, if that's what you mean.
Agreed. He looks fine to me.
Old 09-13-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
He looks like Johnny Cash before he died.
Old 09-14-07, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070913...PGZ8oU4W2s0NUE

LONDON (AFP) - About 20 million fans have tried to get tickets for Led Zeppelin's one-off comeback concert, a spokesman for the gig said Thursday.

The rock legends are reforming for a tribute concert at London's O2 Arena on November 26. The former Millennium Dome venue in Greenwich can hold up to 20,000 people.

The three surviving members of the hard-rocking British band are to play together for the first time in 19 years in tribute to Ahmet Ertegun, the late founder of the Atlantic Records label, who signed the group in 1968.

About 80,000 fans per minute are trying to register for tickets at the www.ahmettribute.com website, said Internet service provider Pipex.

Demand for the 125-pound tickets also crashed the O2 Arena website.

"The message is to be patient. The website will be open until midday on September 17 for anyone wanting to register," said a spokesman for the concert.

"It is not 'first come, first served' and all successful applicants will be entered into the ballot for tickets to be drawn at random."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.