DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Between the Buried and Me "Colors" 9/18 - Metal Album of the Year (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/510790-between-buried-me-colors-9-18-metal-album-year.html)

Rypro 525 09-02-07 12:40 AM

Between the Buried and Me "Colors" 9/18 - Metal Album of the Year

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...px-Colors1.jpg
This album leaked about a week ago. Usually if something leaks, i won't buy it, cause i already have it technically, but this is so amazing, that i'll support the band and buy the album. And honestly, i wasn't sure they could top "Alaska" which is one of my favorite albums of the genere. There are only 8 tracks, but it all plays as one long 65 minute song.
Here's an early review of it that gives it a 97 out of 100 overall score. There are also some mp3 samples of 3 of the 8 tracks in the link.
http://www.stereokiller.com/newsrevi...articleid=8095
For those that have never heard of them, I'd say the best comparison of them would be either opeth with a mix between death metal and clean slow singing and maybe the technicallity of Dream Theater, but they're a band of their own.
I know some of you don't like the death metal vocals, but i think that this album is worth checking out. If you can, download "White Walls" from the link, and you'll get a good feeling of what this band brings to the table.

I am seeing them again for the 3rd time (first time headlining though) october 29.

im_ryandick 09-05-07 02:33 AM

best live band ever, i've seen them six times.

when they toured with dillinger, they were incredible.

asianxcore 09-05-07 03:29 AM

One of my favorite bands. I am looking forward to this album.

Rypro 525 09-18-07 09:57 PM

Got to pick up the album today. Sounds better then the leak and there are no breaks or pauses between songs (obviously).
Unfortunatly none of the major retailers have this on sale, Best Buy didn't even have it, and Circuit City according to their website has it for 12.99. I did find it at Record and Tape Traders which is a md chain store for 9.99 with a club card (also picked up the new Black Daliah Murder as well)

Also, anyone familiar with HORSE THE BAND, ANIMOSITY and THE END? i picked up the latest Horse the Band album at bb for 7.99 last week, and its going to take some time getting used to their style.

cerial442 09-19-07 08:44 AM

I like Horse the Band, never heard Animosity, and hate The End. The End use to be similar to bands like Dillinger Escape Plan, but the new stuff has them trying to be Sevendust. I saw them live with Between the Buried and Me and was bored by them. Most of the crowd seemed that way was well.

I could not find the new Between the Buried and Me or Black Dahlia Murder CD's anywhere. I'm seeing BDM in a couple of weeks and can wait to get it at the show, but I was really hoping to get BTBAM. If I can't find them this week looks like I'll be ordering.

im_ryandick 09-19-07 09:14 AM

between the buried and me call themselves "BTBAM," not BBTM.

regardless, its not stocked at best buy?
i find that hard to believe. i was there monday and the store had a whole victory records display, with bury your dead, btbam and aiden.

cerial442 09-19-07 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by im_ryandick
between the buried and me call themselves "BTBAM," not BBTM.

regardless, its not stocked at best buy?
i find that hard to believe. i was there monday and the store had a whole victory records display, with bury your dead, btbam and aiden.

Yeah that was a typo in my post.

I just checked Best Buy's website, and it isn't listed. Circuit City didn't have it, Target didn't have it (no surprise), and even tried Hot Topic with no luck.

Rypro 525 09-28-07 10:51 PM

found this on Blabbermouth
HIM - "Venus Doom": 38,000 (#12)
BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME - "Colors" 12,600 (#57)
THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER - "Nocturnal": 9,600 (#72)
SUICIDE SILENCE - "The Cleansing": 7,100 (#94)
MINISTRY - "The Last Sucker": 5,000 (#130)
HIGH ON FIRE - "Death Is This Communion" 4,500 (#142)
RAMMSTEIN - "Völkerball" DVD/CD: 4,500 (#147 on CD; #4 on Music Video)
HIMSA - "Summon In Thunder": 1,800
A LIFE ONCE LOST - "Iron Gag": 1,500
ALICE IN CHAINS - "MTV Unplugged" (reissue): 600

those seem like really good numbers for a band with no radio (outside of xm and sirus) and mtv support.

bunkaroo 09-30-07 12:00 AM

I tried to get into these guys but it's just not happening.

It's weird because I see bands like BTBAM and Mastodon being referred to as some of the best metal bands out there, but they do nothing for me.

Regarding the new releases mentioned by Rypro, the new Ministry kicks all kinds of ass IMO. Featuring some really cool guest vocals from Burton C. Bell on a few songs and a killer cover of the Doors' "Roadhouse Blues".

Zodiac_Speaking 09-30-07 10:19 AM

Horse the Band is pretty cool. At first listen they seem either gimmicky or an unsuccessful attempt at mixing different musical genres, but listen a few times and you'll see and listening to a very unique band.

BTW, I'm seeing BtBaM and Horse the Band soon.

Rypro 525 10-30-07 12:44 AM

Got back from the show. Unreal at how amazing it was. There was no guard rail, so people would jump up onto the stage, try to scream in the mike, and jump off, sometimes feet first (unlike say a dive). Horse the Band was great live, but BTBAM blew them out of the water. They played the new album "colors" in its entirty. Only real break between songs was before "Informal Gluttony". I was amazed they were able to pull it off with no issue (except Paul's guitar died on him in the early part of "white walls" took about a minute to get another one and he picked up flawlessly where ever they were in the song. Only other song they played was "Selkies:The Endless Obsession", but that was cool, i got to finally see the somewhat famous solo up close this time.
For those that havent seen it
<embed width="425" height="355"src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p0cFsu-eI7k&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" </embed>

sergtv 11-04-07 05:00 PM

I had never heard of these guys before i read this post.. picked this up as a bline buy last night at best buy for 12.99.. listned to a few songs on the way home from best buy... sounds like awsome stuff! as for horse the band, i just can't get into them.

asianxcore 11-05-07 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Also, anyone familiar with HORSE THE BAND, ANIMOSITY and THE END?

Horse The Band
is alright. Not really my thing.

Two of my friends are in Animosity. They have come a really long way from their demo CD and even more so from their "Shut It Down" (Tribunal Records) disc. I really hate labeling bands but the label a lot of people throw on this band is "Deathcore". Originally (back on their older material) I would think that would be about right since they mixed a lot of elements of metal (more Death Metal) into some elements of hardcore (more of the sing-alongs, song structures). Nowadays, especially on their newest disc "Animal" they seem to be shedding a lot of the hardcore influence and mixing in a lot of Grind, Death and Various styles of Metal into their music. Oddly enough it almost seems like some songs seem to be toying with the idea of Progressive Metal. If you love hearing the technical abilities of metal performers, the new Animosity disc would be a good pick. Great stuff by a young band.

The End's best disc was definitely "Within Dividia" (IMO). Even though it drew influence (a lot actually) from bands like Cryptopsy and Dillinger Escape Plan, it was still enjoyable for it's pure chaotic (noisy) nature, odd time signatures and pure technical ability. They put out a new CD recently called "Elementary", which was alright. My biggest problem with it was in trying to shed their blatant influences, they ended up trying to sound like another band (TOOL). I am not a Tool fan, so I was definitely disappointed by the changes between this CD and the last.

After listening to BTBAM's "Colors" even more, I have to say I don't like it as much as "Alaska". It isn't an extreme change as say "S/T" was to "Silent Circus" or even "Silent Circus" was to "Alaska". Where as an album like "Alaska" had it's random moments, they made sense. With "Colors" I feel that BTBAM is trying a little too hard to throw their listeners off with parts in songs that really feel odd to be odd (banjo/blues guitar). They almost seem to be beating me over the head with their influences too. Any BTBAM fan or anyone who listened to their CD of covers, knows where this band draws influences from. There were too many times where I wanted to say out loud, "Geez guys I know you like Mike Patton (or Queen), quit it already". I guess I have come to the point with this band I want to hear even more originality rather than hero worship. Also I felt that the first half of the CD was really strong and it just drops from there. For an album that was to be played in one giant whole and definitely went for a theme, it does a so-so job in keeping my attention for the entire second half of the album.

Rypro 525 07-15-08 02:24 AM

for those interested

Finnish heavy metal band CHILDREN OF BODOM has announced a U.S. headlining tour in support of its critically acclaimed new album "Blooddrunk". The scheduled four-week, 25-city CHILDREN OF BODOM tour will kick off on September 11 in Baltimore, MD and criss-cross the U.S., closing with a bang on October 10 in Worcester, MA.

The CHILDREN OF BODOM U.S. headlining tour will feature support from BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME as well as a "very special guest to be announced" (believed to be THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER). The major market trek will represent the influential metal band’s first U.S. headlining jaunt in support of "Blooddrunk" and follows the quintet's red hot summer North American Gigantour live dates as hand-picked support for heavy music legends MEGADETH.

Advance ticket pre-sales for the CHILDREN OF BODOM tour will begin on July 16 via Nokia Ticket Rush (www.ticketrush.com) with general public on-sales slated to start on July 18 and 19 via www.livenation.com.

Sep. 11 - Baltimore, MD - Rams Head Live!
Sep. 12 - Norfolk, VA - The NorVa
Sep. 13 - Atlanta, GA - Masquerade
Sep. 14 - Orlando, FL - Hard Rock Live
Sep. 16 - Dallas, TX - House of Blues
Sep. 18 - Tucson, AZ - Rialto Theatre
Sep. 19 - Los Angeles, CA - Wiltern
Sep. 20 - Las Vegas, NV - House of Blues
Sep. 21 - San Francisco, CA - The Warfield
Sep. 22 - Portland, OR - Roseland Theater
Sep. 23 - Seattle, WA - Showbox Market
Sep. 25 - Salt Lake City, UT - The Great Salt Air
Sep. 26 - Denver, CO - Gothic Theatre
Sep. 27 - Kansas City, MO - Beaumont Club
Sep. 28 - St. Louis, MO - Pop's
Sep. 30 - Minneapolis, MN - Myth
Oct. 01 - Chicago, IL - House of Blues
Oct. 02 - Milwaukee, WI - The Rave
Oct. 03 - Columbus, OH - Newport Music Hall
Oct. 04 - Detroit, MI - Clutch's Cargo
Oct. 06 - Cleveland, OH - House of Blues
Oct. 07 - Rochester, NY - Water Street Music Hall
Oct. 08 - Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory
Oct. 09 - New York, NY - Hammerstein Ballroom
Oct. 10 - Worcester, MA - Palladium
5th time seeing BTBAM and second seeing Bodom.