Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Queensryche pay homage to their idols with "Take Cover":

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-31-07, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(source - melodicrock.com)

Queensryche looks to be the latest band to jump on the cover album bandwagon. "Take Cover" will be released November 13 with a MSRP of $13.98.

The eclectic list of songs reflects the members' divergent tastes and includes a few surprising selections such as "Heaven On Their Minds" from the hit musical Jesus Christ Superstar, the O'Jays R&B classic "For Love Of Money" and an operatic epic originally performed by the Italian duo of Carlo Marrale and Cheope, "Odissea." Recognized as an accomplished vocalist, Tate says he enjoyed the song's demanding arrangement. "I really like this song because there is a lot for a singer to sink his teeth into, plus I got a chance to sing in Italian, which was interesting considering I don't speak a word of it."
The full tracklist:
1. "Innuendo" (Queen)
2. "Bullet The Blue Sky" -- Live (U2)
3. "Synchronicity II" (Police)
4. "For What It's Worth" (Buffalo Springfield)
5. "Welcome To The Machine" (Pink Floyd)
6. "Red Rain" (Peter Gabriel)
7. "Neon Knights" (Black Sabbath)
8. "Almost Cut My Hair" (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
9. "Heaven On Their Minds" (Jesus Christ Superstar)
10. "For The Love Of Money" (The O'Jays)
11. "Odissea" (Carlo Marrale & Cheope)

I'm sort of disappointed that they didn't choose to do Comfortably Numb as their Pink Floyd selection, as they did a great version of it when they toured with Dream Theater. I also wish we would have finally gotten a complete cover of "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World" instead of the brief goof MP3 that has been floating around for years.

All in all, though, it looks like a solid release. I'm particularly looking forward to hearing their take on Synchronicity II and For What it's Worth.
Old 08-31-07, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Surprised they didn't include Scarborough Fair.

Interesting mix of songs, I'll have to check this one out.
Old 08-31-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I posted this in the Tesla/Poison cover thread. Figured it fit right in.
Old 08-31-07, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Ugh. This is usually the sign of a washed up band, but I think Scarborough Fair is awesome, so I'll give it a try. Pretty interesting tracklist except for For What It's Worth. I hate that song so much.
Old 08-31-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Seems strange that they didn't choose an Iron Maiden song since that was clearly their biggest influence on their EP and first album (which is not a bad thing at all).
Old 08-31-07, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
They would have been smarter to cover better known songs. Feels forced to me.
Old 08-31-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I posted this in the Tesla/Poison cover thread. Figured it fit right in.
Bah, sorry. I did a forum search for Queensryche and didn't notice a posting, so I threw it up there.

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Ugh. This is usually the sign of a washed up band, but I think Scarborough Fair is awesome, so I'll give it a try. Pretty interesting tracklist except for For What It's Worth. I hate that song so much.
Well, to be honest many people were saying Queensryche was washed up with Hear in the Now Frontier, and then it really got bad when Chris DeGarmo (a primary songwriter) left the group and Q2K fell flat. Then they went back to the Mindcrime well... and revisiting a biggest success is usually taken as a sign of distress.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if this and the "Mindcrime at the Moore" live release were contractual obligation releases and the band calls it quits.

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
They would have been smarter to cover better known songs. Feels forced to me.
I dunno... I see where you're coming from, but I also think that covering better known songs would feel forced, as it would feel more like a "make a quick buck" album instead of a "here's the songs we like" album.
Old 08-31-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange

Well, to be honest many people were saying Queensryche was washed up with Hear in the Now Frontier, and then it really got bad when Chris DeGarmo (a primary songwriter) left the group and Q2K fell flat. Then they went back to the Mindcrime well... and revisiting a biggest success is usually taken as a sign of distress.
Yeah, Mindcrime II was the only half-decent thing they have done since Promised Land. And it is because of shitty songwriting, not because they band can't play anymore. Maybe this covers album will actually be good because at least the songwriting is good. And maybe it will somehow kickstart them again and they can write some better songs.
Old 08-31-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I could swear I saw them do that U2 Bullet song live.
Old 08-31-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Yeah, Mindcrime II was the only half-decent thing they have done since Promised Land. And it is because of shitty songwriting, not because they band can't play anymore. Maybe this covers album will actually be good because at least the songwriting is good. And maybe it will somehow kickstart them again and they can write some better songs.
To add fuel to the fire of "contractual obligations" talk, they also released a "best of" this week. There's a 1-disc and 2-disc version, by the way, and the 2-disc version has "rarities" (rarity determined by how fanatic a collector you are) and one of the tracks is their cover of Scarborough Fair.

So a live album, a best-of album and a cover album all in one year. Damn.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I could swear I saw them do that U2 Bullet song live.
You probably did. I don't remember it because I can't stand U2 and don't know many of their songs, but my friend assures me that I've heard it before when we saw Queensryche play, and that would have been back in 04 or 05.
Old 08-31-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking forward to hearing their version of " Heaven on their Mind"
Old 08-31-07, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
To add fuel to the fire of "contractual obligations" talk, they also released a "best of" this week. There's a 1-disc and 2-disc version, by the way, and the 2-disc version has "rarities" (rarity determined by how fanatic a collector you are) and one of the tracks is their cover of Scarborough Fair.
It also has a new song with Chris DeGarmo playing guitar.

I don't care for the song very much though. The demos for 'Take Hold The Flame' and 'Walk in the Shadows' are pretty interesting. They sound nothing like the songs with those titles.
Old 08-31-07, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
THought they already covered Pink Floyd on Silent Lucidity
Old 08-31-07, 05:34 PM

Bah, sorry. I did a forum search for Queensryche and didn't notice a posting, so I threw it up there.

That's OK if you hadn't posted it here I would never have seen it, since there is no chance in hell I will be participating in a Poison thread Nor would most Queensr˙che fans, I would guess. Not the same genre.
Old 08-31-07, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
they also released a "best of" this week
...that doesn't even have "Empire"
Old 08-31-07, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho
I only glanced over the track list... that's insane.

Looking over the list... I would have replaced "I Am I" with "Empire," or I would have moved "Real World" to the rarities disc since, like "Last Time In Paris," it's a song that was only available on a soundtrack.
Old 08-31-07, 06:39 PM

And nothing from Rage For Order??? That's one of their best albums.

At least it has stuff from their EP and The Warning.

I could live without any of their post Mindcrime stuff, personally.

Last edited by porieux; 08-31-07 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-31-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by porieux
And nothing from Rage For Order??? That's one of their best albums.

At least it has stuff from their EP and The Warning.

I could live without any of their post Mindcrime stuff, personally.
Walk in the Shadows is on there, that's from Rage.

The problem when doing "best of" releases is that there's a tendency to make sure every album is represented, which leads to a few bad choices and some songs missing out because they were on an album with a lot of great songs.

For example, the song that represents Q2K is actually one of the bonus tracks from the remastered version. Also, as GuessWho mentioned, it's a crime that "Empire" isn't on there.

At least there wasn't anything from Tribe. Easily their worst release. Of course what's sad about that is it's the album that DeGarmo returned to record with them. Apparently the songwriting spark between him and Tate is no longer there.
Old 08-31-07, 07:02 PM

Oh good point. For some reason I was remembering that song as being on The Warning.

Too bad they lost it. Hopefully they can get it back.
Old 09-01-07, 08:32 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
Queensryche is an album band and simply cannot be represented well on any best-of compilation. For some artists this works well. Others not so much.
Old 09-01-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JAA
Queensryche is an album band and simply cannot be represented well on any best-of compilation. For some artists this works well. Others not so much.
That's why my friends and I make our own "best of" compilations. Of course when it gets to a group we really like, such as Queensryche, they turn into multi-disc sets. For Queensryche, we usually left Mindcrime off completely because (a) it's really meant to be listened to as a whole and (b) the whole damned CD would end up on the compilation, so what's the use?
Old 09-02-07, 07:35 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
. . . For Queensryche, we usually left Mindcrime off completely because (a) it's really meant to be listened to as a whole and (b) the whole damned CD would end up on the compilation, so what's the use?
Exactly!