Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Coheed & Cambria: Good Apollo IV: Volume II: No World For Tomorrow (10/23/07)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Coheed & Cambria: Good Apollo IV: Volume II: No World For Tomorrow (10/23/07)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-07, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DoomsDave
Great deal at Best Buy.

This album follows the same C&C pattern for me: underwhelming at 1st listen, but gets better the more you play it. So far, I like it!

The previous album impacted me upon pressing play, and I was like woah!

This one is outstanding as well, but like you say took me to the second listen to grasp it and give it attention it deserved.

Loving it!
Old 10-23-07, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I've been meaning to get into Coheed and Cambria. But can somebody explain why their first album was #2 in the story? That's always kind of confused me...
The 'story' of Coheed and Cambria only starts with Second Stage Turbine Blade and follows their children up to the new album. Volume I is essentially a prequel. Claudio Sanchez has said there IS a prequel, which is Volume I. I guess it is because Volume II introduces C&C's children, where the bulk of the story is. I'm pretty sure that Claudio said he will do the prequel album.

BTW, bought the album today (after listening to the leak). This album is TRULY magnificent. Never, ever, has this band sounded so clean, polished, and 'real.' You can tell there was more money dropped into recording this album, but it is NOT a sell-out effort. In fact, most Coheed fans, including myself, firmly believe this is far-and-away the best 'sounding' album. As musicians, no one in the band has sounded better. BTW, there are some great 'homage' tunes as well, with some tributes to Zeppelin and Iron Maiden.

Best tracks for me, so far, are 'No World for Tomorrow,' 'Feathers,' 'Mother Superior,' and 'The End Complete.' Not sure why anyone ever branded them emo, but they certainly aren't.

Progressive rock and metal at it's finest. Pure Gold. 9/10

BTW, bought the deluxe edition, dvd is really cool, nice 'making of' featurette.

Okay, fanboy rave over.

Last edited by StephenX; 10-23-07 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-23-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

agreed they couldn't be further from emo, and lots of tracks really do have that 700 and 80s prog rock vibe. Def some floyd elements in some of the guitar work.
Old 10-23-07, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by db27
agreed they couldn't be further from emo, and lots of tracks really do have that 700 and 80s prog rock vibe. Def some floyd elements in some of the guitar work.
Yeah, and the heavier stuff oozes Iron Maiden, I LOVE IT!
Old 10-23-07, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I've been meaning to get into Coheed and Cambria. But can somebody explain why their first album was #2 in the story? That's always kind of confused me...
Here is a quick synopsis from Evil Ink Comics
The concept behind the Coheed and Cambria albums is fully entitled: “The Bag.On.Line Adventures” and is made up of 5 stories: “the Second Stage Turbine Blade”, “In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3”; “Good Apollo, I’m Burning Star IV, Vol 1 and 2”, and “The Bag.on.line Adventures of Coheed and Cambria” (the prequel).
Each story represents one album of the same name.

The story centers around the Kilgannon Family: Mother and Father Coheed and Cambria Kilgannon, their four children - Matthew, Maria, Josephine and Claudio, and Coheed’s brother, Jesse (aka, Inferno).

The ruling party of Heaven’s Fence have convinced Coheed and Cambria that they were previously implanted with a deadly virus (the Monstar) that, if is released, the entire energy force (The Keywork) for civilization will be destroyed. Even worse, they are led to believe that they genetically passed the virus off to their children, where it mutated into an even more powerful viral stream (the Sinstar), that has no antidote and even graver consequences for the Fence.
There is a further breakdown of each album at the link above.
Old 10-24-07, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked this up yesterday, and listened to it once. I liked it, but not as much as the others. Then again it has only been one listen. I wonder why they dropped the Good Apollo IV: Vol. II from the title.
Old 10-24-07, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by cerial442
I wonder why they dropped the Good Apollo IV: Vol. II from the title.
I noticed that as well. It's still in the linear notes though.