DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   You know when you're in need of musical intervention (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/509753-you-know-when-youre-need-musical-intervention.html)

TheAllPurposeNothing 08-21-07 10:37 AM

You know when you're in need of musical intervention

..when the song you've become addicted to hearing shows up on the latest Kidz Bop collection.

I rarely, if ever, listen to the radio...esp. Contemporary Hits radio...but I was in the car with my wife about a week ago, she turned on the local Top 40 station and I heard something I really liked. Took a week or so to figure out what it was (the wife kept saying it was Nelly Furtado, but it ended up being Gwen Stefani's "The Sweet Escape.")

So last night, I load up the song and start playing it on the computer. Which prompts my seven-year-old to say, "I know that song! Do you have Kidz Bop 12 dad??"

I think middle age is destroying any semblance of musical taste I once had. Between this and the new Rhianna song, I'm just turning myself in and pleading on the mercy of the musical court.

nateman 08-21-07 01:24 PM

I feel your pain. I have enjoyed both of the new Rhianna songs & Kanye West has some ‘catchy’ songs out currently as well & this is coming from a Canadian who listens too Stompin’ Tom Connors, Johnny Cash, Otis Redding, Patsy Cline & various other country/folk musicians.

I also listen too a lot of 50’s & 60’s music & listen too the likes of Dean Martin & Frank Sinatra. I also find myself dancing while Elvis tunes are on as well & yet I find this ‘new generation’ sh*t ‘catchy’?

Oh, the humanity!!!

TheAllPurposeNothing 08-21-07 01:30 PM

I guess I have the consolation of knowing that I haven't fallen under the spell of the "light jazz" (aka modern muzak) station yet.

rw2516 08-21-07 04:35 PM

Smoke two joints, drink six beers, put on Ted Nugent-Double Live Gonzo cranked to the max. Doctor Johnny Fever swears by it. If that don't rehab ya nothing will.

Groucho 08-21-07 04:43 PM

My wife walked in on me singing along to "Girlfriend" by Avril Lavigne. No intervention was necessary, she jumped straight to divorce papers. :(

DRG 08-21-07 04:58 PM

Speaking of the Rhianna song, if it's "Umbrella" then you might want to check out Mandy Moore's cover of it. I think it's just a video floating around right now, but I was impressed with her low key take on it.

TheAllPurposeNothing 08-21-07 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
Speaking of the Rhianna song, if it's "Umbrella" then you might want to check out Mandy Moore's cover of it. I think it's just a video floating around right now, but I was impressed with her low key take on it.

No, I was actually talking about "Shut Up and Drive." Not sure I've even heard "Umbrella."

John S. 08-21-07 07:31 PM

Hey, don't worry, Gwen is awesome! Much more of an artist than most in current Top 40. As long as you are not listening to the 'Kidz Bop' cover of it, you'll be alright. :)

uncle-frank 08-21-07 07:40 PM

its ok, i mean ive got my guilty pleasure artists that very few no that i listen to, avril, rihanna, stefani, recently timberlake.

as long as ur not listening to that shitty snap rap from the south than your in no need of an intervention:)

polietilen 08-21-07 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
My wife walked in on me singing along to "Girlfriend" by Avril Lavigne. No intervention was necessary, she jumped straight to divorce papers. :(

:lol:

mndtrp 08-21-07 11:26 PM

Pop isn't always bad, and it can do a good job of putting you in a good mood. I'm more of an 80's pop kind of guy, but it serves the same purpose.

nateman 08-22-07 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho

:lol: She made the right move.

“Hey! Hey! You! You! I don’t like your girlfriend! No way! No way! I think you need a new one” :blush: I mean, "Fly me too the moon".