Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

GARTH BROOKS: Ultimate Hits 2CD -11/6/07

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-20-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Garth Brooks Is Back With 'Ultimate Hits'

Garth Brooks on Saturday confirmed what Billboard.com first reported on Aug. 10 -- that he will release "The Ultimate Hits," a 34-track, two-CD greatest hits retrospective with four new songs, and a DVD with videos on Nov. 6.

The album will be self-distributed via his Pearl Records to all retailers. "We're doing deals one-on-one with retail," Brooks' said. His two-year exclusive deal with Wal-Mart expired on July 7.

Brooks, who confirmed that longtime marketing partner Joe Mansfield will head sales efforts, said the package will likely be sold for a retail price of $11-14. Interestingly, Brooks' release will not be available via iTunes since the artist does not want songs to be sold individually, only as a package.

The collection will sport two different album covers, one of which will be a limited edition.

Big Machine Records, which will handle promotion of the new cuts, will deliver power ballad "More Than a Memory" to radio on Aug. 27. The song, about the singer's inability to move on from a broken relationship, was written by Lee Brice, Kyle Jacobs and Billy Montana.

Big Machine is the new label home of Brooks' wife Trisha Yearwood, but he joked that he didn't turn to the label for promotional support because "my wife told me to."

The announcements came at a press conference in Nashville during which Brooks and Big Machine president Scott Borchetta addressed the media. Radio programmers were flown in for a two-day event during which they heard the new music and attended a seminar that provided a retrospective of Brooks' career.

Brooks, who retired in 2001, is maintaining his stance that he'll be a stay-at-home-dad until his daughters are grown. His youngest daughter should graduate high school in 2015.

Still, some sort of live component to the project's release seems imminent. "If we're going to do something on that scale, we're going to find a way to bring it locally into your town," he said, noting that country radio would somehow be involved. While Brooks wouldn't give details on what is rumored to be an extended run in a single market, he did allow that he would be doing a "thank you" concert for Wal-mart.

He also said he would actively promote the album via television, radio and other media venues. "You're going to see us everywhere," Brooks said at the press conference. "It's my job to let people know it's out there. And then after February, I'm going to go back to whatever I was doing before this."

The other new cuts on the release include "Midnight Sun," a song Brooks co-wrote with Jerrod Niemann and Richie Brown, and "Leave the Light On," which was penned by Randy Goodrum and Tommy Sims. Also included is a duet on Huey Lewis' "Workin' For a Livin'."

In an interesting twist, songwriters who penned the included hits have agreed to a reduced royalty rate. Meanwhile, the songwriters who wrote the collection's new songs will be paid at a normal rate.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 08-20-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I'll definitely get this.
Old 08-20-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Garth will suck me into this one too. Damn him.
Old 08-20-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveWadding
Garth will suck me into this one too. Damn him.
Im in......
Old 08-20-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hate country. But I love Garth Brooks. Thanks for the info. Can't wait to see a track list.
Old 08-21-07, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DISC 1:
1. Ain't Going Down ('Til The Sun Comes Up)
2. Friends In Low Places
3. Shameless
4. Two Of A Kind, Workin' On A Full House
5. The Beaches Of Cheyenne
6. If Tomorrow Never Comes
7. Papa Loved Mama
8. More Than A Memory
9. Good Ride Cowboy (Tribute to Chris Ledoux)
10. In Another's Eyes (with Trisha Yearwood)
11. The Fever
12. Midnight Sun
13. Learning To Live Again
14. Longneck Bottle
15. To Make You Feel My Love
16. We Shall Be Free
17. The Dance

DISC 2:
1. Callin' Baton Rouge
2. Two Pina Coladas
3. The Thunder Rolls
4. That Summer
5. The River
6. Beer Run (with George Jones)
7. Unanswered Prayers
8. Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)
9. Workin' For A Livin' (with Huey Lewis)
10. What She's Doing Now
11. When You Come Back To Me Again
12. Standing Outside The Fire
13. American Honky Tonk Bar Association
14. The Change
15. Rodeo
16. Wrapped Up In You
17. Leave The Light On
The first cover is the limited edition cover. All these songs except Leave A Light On will now have a video.
Been nice if this set would've had Garth's version of Hard Luck Woman & the video had him in KISS makeup.

Also looks like the order of the songs has changed. Garth said at the press conference for the CD "the songs were being sequenced 'as they felt good' the songs but the videos would be chronologically...
DVD in Chronological Order:
"Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)"
"If Tomorrow Never Comes"
"The Dance"
"Friends in Low Places"
"Unanswered Prayers"
"Two of a Kind, Workin' on a Full House"
"The Thunder Rolls"
"Rodeo"
"Shameless"
"Papa Loved Mama"
"What She's Doing Now"
"The River"
"We Shall Be Free"
"Learning to Live Again"
"That Summer"
"Standing Outside The Fire"
"Ain't Goin' Down ('Til The Sun Comes Up)"
"Callin' Baton Rouge"
"American Honky-Tonk Bar Association"
"The Fever"
"To Make You Feel My Love"
"The Beaches of Cheyenne"
"The Change"
"Two Piña Coladas"
"Longneck Bottle"
"In Another's Eyes" (original version)
"Wrapped Up In You"
"Beer Run (B Double E Double Are You In?)"
"When You Come Back to Me Again"
"Good Ride Cowboy"
"More Than a Memory"
"Workin' for a Livin'"
"Midnight Sun"
<HR><HR>

Garth Brooks – The Ultimate Hits Exclusive “Pink Edition”!

Garth Brooks has joined forces with Susan G. Komen for the Cure in the promise to end breast cancer forever, with the release of the “Pink Edition” of The Ultimate Hits album. The album is a new 3-disc set, and contains 30 classics, 3 new songs and a bonus track on two CDs. The set also includes a DVD with videos for all 33 songs, including new and never-before-seen footage.

For every “Pink Edition” of The Ultimate Hits album sold, $10 will go to Komen for the Cure. Each CD is packaged with important information to help you protect your breast health, and the health of people you love.

The album is currently available for pre-orders, and will ship on November 5th. This is a Promise Shop exclusive - order now and reserve yours today!

Please note:
* $15.00 each CD
* $6.95 Shipping & handling charge for 1 CD, $8.95 for 2 or more will apply.
* Sales tax will be based on your shipment address.
* If you purchase additional items all items will ship at the same time as the CD.

Last edited by bigjim25; 11-09-07 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-21-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He should title this "Garth Brooks Super Duper Greatest Hits." Seriously, how many times is he going to go to the well. He's the George Lucas of country music.
Old 08-21-07, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by madcougar
He should title this "Garth Brooks Super Duper Greatest Hits." Seriously, how many times is he going to go to the well. He's the George Lucas of country music.

He only had one greatest hits before?
Old 08-23-07, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,316 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveWadding
He only had one greatest hits before?
Yes, and he released two more studio albums after it. But since then he did release a Box set of his first five cds, another Wal-Mart box set of his last three releases with a bonus CD, a 2-disc live cd and a 4-DVD set. So it's pretty safe to say his fans aren't lacking in overlapping material. Still, one thing I've always respected Garth for is being fan-friendly and pricing accordingly. I'll probably get this one. Wonder if Garth was a little pissed at the way Wal-Mart handled his exclusives? That DVD set was cheap, but it really should have been remasted better.
Old 09-10-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Garth songs More Than A Memory Debuts at #1 on the country charts of Billboard and Radio & Records.

http://www.radioandrecords.com/Forma...ntry_Chart.asp

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/chart...+Country+Songs
Old 09-15-07, 01:36 AM

Sweet tracklist, although I'd much rather have extended studio versions of FiLP and Thunder Rolls...and prolly Tearin it Up and Burnin it Down.
Old 09-15-07, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Garth Brooks Is Back With 'Ultimate Hits'

Garth Brooks on Saturday confirmed what Billboard.com first reported on Aug. 10 -- that he will release "The Ultimate Hits," a 34-track, two-CD greatest hits retrospective with four new songs, and a DVD with videos on Nov. 6.
.... the package will likely be sold for a retail price of $11-14. Interestingly, Brooks' release will not be available via iTunes since the artist does not want songs to be sold individually, only as a package.....
It's listed at $19.99 at Amazon. I hope it's selling for less in stores or I may not bite on this.
Old 09-15-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can still get that MEGA set of his from Wal-Mart they have ton's of them still!
Old 09-15-07, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cranberries fan
You can still get that MEGA set of his from Wal-Mart they have ton's of them still!
Some fans, me included, will buy this for 4 new songs plus the DVD with unreleased videos. I have all Garth's CDs except The Hits (no new songs) which I recently sold 2 copies I had because I got enough to buy 2 of these sets when WalMart has it for around $12-15.
Old 09-16-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts
I have always been a fan, but I only had his albums on cassette when they were released, so I guess I will get this.
Old 09-17-07, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My copy of he first GH CD is munched, so this comes in the nick of time.
Old 10-03-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
It's listed at $19.99 at Amazon. I hope it's selling for less in stores or I may not bite on this.
Now $12.99 at Amazon.

ALSO: Updated the new order of the track list at post #6 (same songs, different order).
Old 10-20-07, 01:58 AM

Nice sentiment. Great cause. UGLY cover! = pass.
Old 11-05-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard an interview with Garth Brooks on Xm today (it's been replayed a number of times over the last few weeks), and they mentioned that there was one number one and a handful of top fives not included (but The Fever was, even though it didn't break top twenty).

The XM guy also said that Garth doesn't want any of the previously unreleased tracks to be played fully on the radio before the CD hits the stores. Seriously, Prince gets a bad rap for being controlling, but I don't think he is as bad as Garth (and I am a big fan of both).
Old 11-05-07, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm curious to see what type of price a B&M Wal-Mart is gonna have on this one. I'd like to grab the 3-disc version and am wondering if they're gonna beat out Amazon's price.
Old 11-05-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieking
I heard an interview with Garth Brooks on Xm today (it's been replayed a number of times over the last few weeks), and they mentioned that there was one number one and a handful of top fives not included (but The Fever was, even though it didn't break top twenty).
Singles missing are:
1990 "Not Counting You" #2
1992 "Whatcha Gonna Do with a Cowboy?" (w/Chris LeDoux) #7
1993 "Somewhere Other Than the Night" #1
1994 "One Night a Day" #7 - - -
1994 "Hard Luck Woman" #67 Country, #45 Hot 100, #28 AC
1994 "The Red Strokes" #49
1995 "She's Every Woman" #1
1996 "It's Midnight Cinderella" #5
1996 "That Ol' Wind" #4
1998 "She's Gonna Make It" #2
1998 "Burnin' the Roadhouse Down" (w/Steve Wariner) #28
1998 "Where Your Road Leads" (w/Trisha Yearwood) #18
1998 "You Move Me" #3
1998 "It's Your Song" #9
1999 "Lost in You" (credited to Chris Gaines) #62 Country, #5 Hot 100
1999 "It Don't Matter to the Sun" (credited to Chris Gaines) #24 Country
2000 "Do What You Gotta Do" #13
2000 "Katie Wants a Fast One" (w/Steve Wariner) #22
2001 "Wild Horses" #7
2001 "Thicker Than Blood" #18
2002 "Squeeze Me In" (w/Trisha Yearwood) #16
2002 "Why Ain't I Running" #24
2006 "Love Will Always Win" (w/Trisha Yearwood) #23
2006 "That Girl Is a Cowboy" #34

Last edited by bigjim25; 11-06-07 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-05-07, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by bigjim25
Singles missing are:
1990 "Not Counting You" #2
1992 "Whatcha Gonna Do with a Cowboy?" (w/Chris LeDoux) #7
Those are two of my favorite tracks by him. Very disappointed they weren't included.
Old 11-06-07, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FrozenMetalHead
Those are two of my favorite tracks by him. Very disappointed they weren't included.
I remember Garth saying he just wasn't a fan of "Not Counting You", which is why it didn't make The Hits either & "Whatcha Gonna Do with a Cowboy?" is on many Chris LeDoux CDs. Garth probably didn't put it on his CD to take away sells from Chris LeDoux CDs.
Old 11-06-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My local Wal-Mart had this for $11.88 today. Great deal for two cds and a dvd.
Old 11-06-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am fine with most of the songs left off, but I really like Red Strokes. She's Gonna Make It is probably left off because of his ex wife, since he always said that the song was basically about what would happen if they broke up (which they did).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.