DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Recommend me a good rock band... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/509476-recommend-me-good-rock-band.html)

thegame370 08-17-07 11:11 PM

Recommend me a good rock band...

Ok, i listen to some pretty good music but it seems like lately nobody has been releasing anything that i can listen to completely. So, i find myself now listening to my older stuff. The last album i bought and thoroughly enjoyed was Light Grenades by Incubus (my fav band).
So someone recommend me a good rock band. Could be an obscure band, just have to be listenable, as in i can hear what the hell they are saying if they kick it up a notch. I wanna hear something dark but with catchy melodies to it. Thanx ahead.

Anubis2005X 08-17-07 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by thegame370
Ok, i listen to some pretty good music but it seems like lately nobody has been releasing anything that i can listen to completely. So, i find myself now listening to my older stuff. The last album i bought and thoroughly enjoyed was Light Grenades by Incubus (my fav band).
So someone recommend me a good rock band. Could be an obscure band, just have to be listenable, as in i can hear what the hell they are saying if they kick it up a notch. I wanna hear something dark but with catchy melodies to it. Thanx ahead.

Looks like that crosses hardcore/metalcore off the list... How about "City of Evil" by Avenged Sevenfold? If I remember correctly, that album is more rock focused and less metalcore than they were previously...

project86 08-18-07 12:13 AM

Thornley

paulringodaman 08-18-07 02:24 AM

Kaiser Chiefs

Spiderbite 08-18-07 03:36 AM

I guess this may be older than what you are looking for but Buckcherry meets your listening requirements. All 3 of their albums kick ass.

Ozzy's Bat Head 08-18-07 03:39 AM

I'm going with Tragically Hip; start with Up To Here and don't look back. Thank me later

Anubis2005X 08-18-07 08:30 AM

I don't think Muse counts as "dark but catchy"...

TGM 08-18-07 09:01 AM

Bad Religion
Stereophonics
Mike Doughty
The Black Keys
The Cult

nodeerforamonth 08-18-07 09:10 AM

Supersuckers
Wildhearts
Hellacopters
Backyard Babies
Mustang
Devilrock Four
Asteroid B612
Turbonegro

TripWire 08-18-07 10:55 AM

yeah Muse Origin of Symmetry is a completely dark and catchy album

Try H.I.M. , Failure , Placebo

Lateralus 08-18-07 11:02 AM

Rush: Moving Pictures and Grace Under Pressure (Grace is an especially dark album)

The Cult: Sonic Temple Also Google "Dirtly Little Rock Star" their new single.

Anubis2005X 08-18-07 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Adrian
Goodness, have you listened to Apocalypse Please? Thoughts of A Dying Atheist? Assassin? Just few popular examples (They may not be pure all though and through rock songs. Fury - go even to the extent on their B-sides catalogue) where there's dark and prevailing theme & lyrics about conspiracy, rebellion, aliens in all their albums and if their recent or very mainstream songs like Knights of Cydonia and Time Is Running Out (even Hysteria, Stockholm Syndrome). If those are not catchy, I'm really at a loss on why I'm in here again.

I must confess, I'm pretty ignorant regarding Muse. The only song I've really heard is "Starlight." Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to check these guys out...

EDIT: By the way, I second HIM. Awesome stuff...

paulringodaman 08-18-07 02:30 PM

I also recommend Weezer

JPRaup 08-18-07 03:20 PM

The Hold Steady

bunkaroo 08-18-07 03:48 PM

Definitely try some later Porcupine Tree: In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear Of A Blank Planet are all great places to start.

Ghostface180 08-18-07 04:56 PM

Queens of the Stone Age. Before this summer I only listened to the three or four singles that occasionally played on rock radio. Since hearing their newest album I've been hooked and immediately bought all of their CDs.

Rypro 525 08-19-07 01:20 AM

Try out Clutch
Their vid for "Electric Worry"
<embed width="425" height="350"src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ab6lr2b66Ig" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" </embed>
Also for some heavier darker stuff, Trivium (about 98% of their newest album "the Crusade" has clean singing) "Entrence of the Confagration"
<embed swidth="425" height="350"src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oeZGGBLpbsM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" </embed>

thegame370 08-19-07 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ghostface180
Queens of the Stone Age. Before this summer I only listened to the three or four singles that occasionally played on rock radio. Since hearing their newest album I've been hooked and immediately bought all of their CDs.

Ive always enjoyed some of thier singles, might look into how thier full albums are, which should i start with first?

And for the person who mentioned Placebo, they are awesome!

Rival11 08-19-07 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by thegame370
Ive always enjoyed some of thier singles, might look into how thier full albums are, which should i start with first?

And for the person who mentioned Placebo, they are awesome!

I too was going to mention Queens of the Stone Age - It seems they should be a good fit for you.

As far as full listenings go, I would start out with Era Vulgaris (their newest) and not just because it's the newest but because it's prob their strangest sounding album to date and the one with the most variety. I've owned for a couple of months now and it's just now fully grown on me - the first 9 songs are all solid.

As for the rest of their albums to listen in full. I recommend this order:

Lullabies to Paralyze - second best album for great sound variety
self titled - all songs sound similiar but a solid album - you don't really find these gems too much
R - a "fun" cd to say the least but has great riffs and songs you can listen to over and over again
Songs for the Deaf - my least favoirte but not why I'm putting it last. It's a depature from their true style and doesn't work in all places (and in other areas it bombs big time) but it does have some originality to it. You may be turned off by wife beater Nick's scremaing vocals after a while though.

Ky-Fi 08-19-07 02:56 PM

X--Greatest American band ever:

<embed width="425" height="350"src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HxOzY7BNs54" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" </embed>

cdollaz 08-19-07 04:42 PM

I was gonna mention X as well. The first 4 albums at least.

Arpeggi 08-20-07 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I don't think Muse counts as "dark but catchy"...

I don't think Muse counts as "good"

turborobb 08-20-07 01:44 AM

KISS--Greatest American band ever:

db27 08-20-07 08:34 AM

Sevendust and Tool

whaaat 08-20-07 10:57 AM

Anyone mention Porcupine Tree yet?