DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Good news! 50 Cent to Quit if Outsold by Kanye West! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/508841-good-news-50-cent-quit-if-outsold-kanye-west.html)

Rogue588 08-11-07 12:33 AM

Good news! 50 Cent to Quit if Outsold by Kanye West!

Haven't we suffered enough on September 11th?

50 Cent to Quit if Outsold by Kanye West

NEW YORK (Aug. 10) - 50 Cent believes his new album will outsell Kanye West's upcoming disc, and he's betting his solo career on it. Both 50 Cent and West have albums due out Sept. 11. 50 Cent, who has sold better than West, has been riled by forecasts that sales of West's "Graduation" could rival those for his "Curtis" CD.

"Let's raise the stakes," the 31-year-old rapper told hip-hop Web site SOHH.com in an interview posted Friday. "If Kanye West sells more records than 50 Cent on September 11, I'll no longer write music. I'll write music and work with my other artists, but I won't put out anymore solo albums."

An e-mail sent to West's publicist wasn't immediately returned Friday.

50 Cent, whose real name is Curtis James Jackson, has been publicly disparaging of West before. In 2005, he suggested the 29-year-old rapper's popularity was only possible because of 50's own success.

But they recently collaborated in the studio. Their work, though, isn't scheduled to appear on either new album.

50 Cent's last full-length solo album, "The Massacre," was the best-selling disc of 2005 and sold more than 1.14 million copies in its first week of release. The same year, West's "Late Registration" opened by selling more than 860,000 copies in its first week.

Tscott 08-11-07 01:56 AM

Will they both quit if the new Kenny Chesney album outsells both of them?

Spiderbite 08-11-07 02:06 AM

50 Cent's last full-length solo album, "The Massacre," was the best-selling disc of 2005...
I was more surprised by this fact than anything else in the article.

Al Padrino 08-11-07 02:06 AM

Why?

astrochimp 08-11-07 07:37 AM

What is he 5 years old? Is this wrestling? Anyway if it'll help i'll go buy Kanye's new cd and then i will have myself a nice shiny new $10 coaster.

cdollaz 08-11-07 07:57 AM

I may help stuff the ballot box on this one. He'll probably just come back some with some other stupid-ass name.

wendersfan 08-11-07 08:19 AM

Blur and Oasis went through shit like this a decade ago. Sometimes it feels we are supporting the work of children.

kurupt 08-11-07 08:51 AM

It is very childish. WWE-type antics to sell records. That said, I'll probably buy a copy of Kanye's album.

nateman 08-11-07 09:07 AM

Althrough I do find some of 50 cents songs "Catchy" I definitely hope Kanye's album outsell's 50 cents disc so we don't need to hear or see Mr. Cent again. Maybe if we are really lucky, we won't have to see all of G-Unit ever again!

I very rarely ever buy CDs anymore but I will definitely support 50 Cents early retirement by picking up Kanye's new album, "Graduation".

Dignam 08-11-07 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by nateman241
Althrough I do find some of 50 cents songs "Catchy" I definitely hope Kanye's album outsell's 50 cents disc so we don't need to hear or see Mr. Cent again. Maybe if we are really lucky, we won't have to see all of G-Unit ever again!

He can still put out a dozen G-Unit CDs and not break his word, it's not a solo project. He could even start a new group, anything not strictly solo falls under that. I don't understand this quote, though:

"If Kanye West sells more records than 50 Cent on September 11, I'll no longer write music. I'll write music and work with my other artists, but I won't put out anymore solo albums."

Writing is writing, Curtis. CURRRRTISSSS! :lol:

mdc3000 08-11-07 09:43 AM

Wow... I'll download 50 and buy Kanye now if that's how this is going to go down :P I don't even really hate his music, but 50's attitude pisses me off...wait, so does Kanye's....oh well.

zombiezilla 08-11-07 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by astrochimp
What is he 5 years old? Is this wrestling? Anyway if it'll help i'll go buy Kanye's new cd and then i will have myself a nice shiny new $10 coaster.

Nah, it's not wrestling, they're just livin' the thug-life, y'know? With guns, dope, bitches & hos....just like they want all of you (& especially your children) to buy into. I've said it before and I'll say it again; we need to have a contest where every rapper on Earth is given a gun (as if they didn't already have one---silly me!) and told that if they are the last surviving rapper, he or she will be crowned "King Of The Earth". And then we kill the last one. Problem solved.

Rap is just people with low IQs trying to sing.

Smithers 08-11-07 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Nah, it's not wrestling, they're just livin' the thug-life, y'know? With guns, dope, bitches & hos....just like they want all of you (& especially your children) to buy into. I've said it before and I'll say it again; we need to have a contest where every rapper on Earth is given a gun (as if they didn't already have one---silly me!) and told that if they are the last surviving rapper, he or she will be crowned "King Of The Earth". And then we kill the last one. Problem solved.

Hey cleetus, the country music thread is a few threads down.

acubfaninmd 08-11-07 09:55 AM

I am praying that Kayne cd outsells 50 cent. The music industry will be better off without 50 cent making solo albums.

The Bus 08-11-07 10:30 AM

Nah, it's not wrestling, they're just livin' the thug-life, y'know? With guns, dope, bitches & hos....

You've clearly never heard a single Kanye West song.

wildcatlh 08-11-07 11:25 AM

Considering how much money 50 Cent has now (from Vitamin Water, not from music), he could just be looking for a way out of the business... not like he has to do anything anymore.

Ronnie Dobbs 08-11-07 11:35 AM

you can't really quit being a musician.

Al Padrino 08-11-07 12:02 PM

I thought I was reading a wm lopez post at first. Both of you are quite well at laying down the blanket statements when it comes to rap.

Tarantino 08-11-07 01:22 PM

They're also great at threadcrapping.

= J

nothingfails 08-11-07 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd

actually, I follow Soundscan sales closely. 50 Cent's album was the #1 album of 2005 at the end of the calendar year, but has since been outsold by Mariah Carey, Carrie Underwood and Nickelback

uncle-frank 08-11-07 01:37 PM

publicity stunt/10

islandclaws 08-11-07 01:39 PM

I wish it were the other way around. I can't stand either of these two, but Kanye annoys me FAR worse than 50. He has this whole holier-than-thou image which annoys the living fuck out of me.

ScissorPuppy 08-11-07 02:10 PM

Jay Z retired, he didn't stick to his word.

Sean " Puffy, P. Diddy, Puff Daddy, Diddy " Combs ( did I miss any?) ran the Vote Or Die campaign, It was proven a good number of celebs that were apart of that didn't vote, much less even register to vote, As far as I know. None of them are dead. So they lied.

Basicly, 50 can say whatever he wants, chances are he won't stick to it. this doesn't only go for rappers, How many times has kiss, Cher, Rolling stones and others "retired"?

Matt 08-11-07 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I wish it were the other way around. I can't stand either of these two, but Kanye annoys me FAR worse than 50. He has this whole holier-than-thou image which annoys the living fuck out of me.

I don't see it.

chris_sc77 08-11-07 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd

I was more surprised by the fact that Mr. Cent (?) can actually write at all.

But seriously, who believes a word that comes out of these rappers' mouths?