Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

KMFDM - Tohuvabohu (Aug 21st)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-10-07, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm always psyched about a new KMFDM album, here is some info..

KMFDM, now in their 23rd year, remain a musical entity to be reckoned with. Through relentless experimentation and reinvention they have continued to unleash a barrage of songs that allow their fans to dance with abandon, bang their heads or dissect the band’s cuttingly cunning lyrics – sometimes all at once!

KMFDM’s new album, Tohuvabohu is no exception. ‘Tohuvabohu’, an Old Testament word meaning “wild and chaotic”, perfectly captures the spirit and energy behind the tracks contained therein. Sascha Konietzko, the band’s founder and leader, conducts his army of analog synths and wields his razor sharp lyrics and vocals. Chanteuse Lucia infuses her tracks with a fiercely powered urgency alternating with soft beauty. The KMFDM core remains solid as ever with Jules Hodgson, Andy Selway and Steve White providing the cranking guitars and forceful beats that KMFDM is known for.

While staying true to the Ultra Heavy Beat, Tohuvabohu also dares to venture into new territory, ultimately destroying everything in its path. The album offers up servings of dance (“Looking For Strange”), metal (“Saft Und Kraft”) and industrial (“Spit Or Swallow”), along with the somewhat unexpected elements of darkwave (“Tohuvabohu”), sweeping epic (“Bumaye”) and even rock/pop (“Fait Accompli”).

Tohuvabohu adds to the growing list of languages sung in the KMFDM catalog – Latin, Hebrew, Lingala (an African language) and Spanish can all be found within. The Spanish language cover of Liaisons Dangereuses’ dancefloor favorite “Los Niños Del Parque” provides a perfectly retro/electronic departure as one of the album’s most memorable tracks.

Continuing the band’s one of a kind relationship with their followers, Sascha K. invited the fans to participate in the creative process via the Fan Phone. For a couple of weeks fans from all over the world called in and recorded stories of what KMFDM means to them. Kapt’n K., as he is known to the devoted horde, wove their voices throughout the album’s opening track, “Superpower”, demonstrating once again that KMFDM belongs to the people (and vice-versa).

KMFDM invites you to celebrate chaos with Tohuvabohu. “Get ready, set, all systems go!”

Tohuvabohu is joint release between KMFDM Records and Metropolis Records.
Old 08-10-07, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Awesome. I loved Hau Ruck and WWIII, so I'm really looking forward to this.
Old 08-10-07, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Until Hau Ruck came out I had been disappointed with every KMFDM album since Nihil. But Hau Ruck was completely kick ass so I'm pumped about this one
Old 08-10-07, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love KMFDM and this new album is really good. The only problem I have with it, which is the same problem I had with the last couple of albums and that is it has too much of Lucia. There were some great songs on all of the recent albums but I am just not fan of her singing. Otherwise, it is classic KMFDM and it is also very electronic, like older stuff.
Old 08-11-07, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have not really cared for much KMFDM stuff post-reformation...but I have hopes for this more electronic effort.

I do agree that there needs to be less Lucia on albums.

I also wish I could afford to buy the album.
Old 08-11-07, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I haven't listened to KMFDM since Angst. Nihil I heard a couple of times but it seemed too poppy.
Old 08-11-07, 12:09 PM

IMO Naive, Angst, and Nihil are their best albums followed pretty closely by Hau Ruck. That being said I love Lucia for some reason. I am actually listening to the album right now and I think she's the highlight of the album, the songs where she's the primary singer are the best on the album. I'm ordering the album today
Old 08-11-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have mixed feelings about KMFDM since the reformation. Attak was kind of blah but I honestly think WWIII is among their best albums right behind Nihil, Xtort, Angst and perhaps Naive. Not sure what it was about that album. Maybe because Tim Skold finally left it was a breath of fresh air. Hau Ruck was ok but it doesn't live up to the classics for me. Tohuvabohu sounds similar to Hau Ruck from what I've heard. I ordered the album but I'll check it out now.

Either way, I agree with most of you that Lucia has to go. She's not a bad singer by any means but there's just something uninteresting about her offerings in KMFDM.
Old 08-11-07, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I loved just about every album from Naive through the breakup (Adios is shaky, but there is some good stuff on there). I even liked the MDFMK release. Nothing since the reformation has been nearly as good as any of the stuff, in my opinion.

However, I love the song Attak. Lucia's voice on that track makes my dick hard.

Last edited by jdodd; 08-12-07 at 08:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-12-07, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Then you'd probably like the DVD with her in that skin tight outfit.

Originally Posted by DarthMarino
Maybe because Tim Skold finally left it was a breath of fresh air.
Oh thank you! Tim Skold was fine in small amounts but when he was everywhere on Adios and MDFMK I started to realize I can't stand him singing.

"Sycophant" on Adios is probably the only song that I actually enjoy him singing.

Hau Ruck...I dunno where that album went south for me. Part of the problem is that the only song that stood out for me was "The Real Thing" and the only reason was because it reminded me of Garbage.

I can say that some of the remixes on "Ruck Zuck" were better than the original versions on "Hau Ruck"....namely "Ready to Blow".
Old 08-12-07, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
How to make a KMFDM album: Pair sexy-girl vocals with a frog-throated male lead spitting angry, Euro-style slow-paced raps (à la Trent Reznor on "Down in It"), synthesize every beat to the max and then cover it all up with iconic Brute! artwork. Stick the group's acronym in a chorus and -- voilà! -- you've got a Sascha Konietzko-stamped industrial masterpiece. And don't forget the follow-up remix record -- that's a given. But let's not be too harsh with Konietzko's musical baby. Despite its cheap parlor tricks, KMFDM has proved that the formula works. The band has the resilience of a post-nuclear-war cockroach, and its brand of dark-wave electronica has been a dance-floor hit since before "goth" was even an acceptable mainstream term. Black has always been the new black for KMFDM, and its legions have been eerily faithful (even during those awful MDFMK days). Keeping the kids amped through two decades of nearly the same material is a secret recipe that this band won't ever give up.
http://www.westword.com/2006-09-28/music/kmfdm/

I haven't picked up a new KMFDM album in years, but I do enjoy seeing them live. They always bring out cool openers.
Old 08-12-07, 10:01 AM

i cannot stand lucia and havent enjoyed any album that she has been involved with. she is absolutely terrible. i will most likely pick this one up though, simply because im always curious as to what sascha is up to (though he never really surprises me anymore). ive picked up everything else theyve put out (aside from kgc), even though the last album i really thought was good was symbols.
Old 08-12-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Obligatory pic for all the Lucia fans here. . .

Old 08-12-07, 05:11 PM

One song on Tohuvabohu that she sings on that I though was EXTREMELY good was I Am What I Am. Bad-Ass. By the way, the picture is really hot. I finally understand why the Kaptain kept her around for so long. You think if they were to get a divorce, the band would end completely or KMFDM would start making really good music again without her?
Old 08-12-07, 06:54 PM

I actually like Lucia too, I think she adds a more melodic dynamic to the band. I really liked "Last Things" off of WWIII..I was also a big fan of the MDFMK album.
Old 08-13-07, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like Dorona Alberti's voice a lot more...especially since she was like 15 when she sang on Money. To have that great of a voice at that age? Wow.

Usually I am all about buying KMFDM side projects (Excessive Force!) but I didn't pick up Lucia's album. The GF has both versions of the album (different covers) so if I wanna hear it I can.
Old 08-14-07, 10:24 AM

No five-letter title this time? Odd. I lost track of them after XTORT, is this the first time for this? (not couting the symbols)
Old 08-14-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by megashock5
No five-letter title this time? Odd. I lost track of them after XTORT, is this the first time for this? (not couting the symbols)
No, the last album was called "Hau Ruck". The original title was "FUBAR" but they decided to break the tradition. Some of the early albums didn't have the five letter titles either.
Old 08-14-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What do you know, Deutchland? & Don't Blow Your Top

They didn't start the five letter thing till the album (and my username) UAIOE.
Old 08-14-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Got this yesterday - pretty good stuff. Metropolis is always good for shipping early.

I love everything they've done since Naive. I also think there's a little too much Lucia, but this one will be a grower.

Also, I thought WWIII was easily as good as some of the early to mid-90's peak stuff.

Either way it's great to see a project have this much longevity and still turn out good material.
Old 08-14-07, 08:37 PM

My God, the first track on this is horrifically bad. It thankfully picks up around track 4...
Old 08-15-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
My God, the first track on this is horrifically bad. It thankfully picks up around track 4...
Yeah I'm not crazy about all the fan voice mail things they used for the track, but I guess they wanted to give something back to the fan base.
Old 08-15-07, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
What do you know, Deutchland? & Don't Blow Your Top

They didn't start the five letter thing till the album (and my username) UAIOE.
Cripes, how could I have forgotten about those?

Oh well, like I said, I sort of lost track of these guys. The Money->Nihil era was fantastic. Xtort was good, but started to decline after that for me.
Old 08-15-07, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Yeah I'm not crazy about all the fan voice mail things they used for the track, but I guess they wanted to give something back to the fan base.
lol dude you should know by now that the rule is there MUST be one track on every KMFDM album where they talk about how they're the greatest thing that's ever happened to music.

Also no love for Tim Skold around here eh? I actually think he's pretty awesome. Give me Tim Skold, Raymond Watts, and Lucia on every KMFDM album and I'd be thrilled.

BTW KMFDM's first album was called Opium, so they did start with a five letter title they just didn't get back to it till UAIOE (I think).
Old 08-15-07, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kakihara1
lol dude you should know by now that the rule is there MUST be one track on every KMFDM album where they talk about how they're the greatest thing that's ever happened to music.
Oh I know that, and I love it. I prefer when Sascha does it himself - somehow it loses its charm when it's gushing fans knowing their audio could be on the record.
Originally Posted by kakihara1

Also no love for Tim Skold around here eh? I actually think he's pretty awesome. Give me Tim Skold, Raymond Watts, and Lucia on every KMFDM album and I'd be thrilled.

BTW KMFDM's first album was called Opium, so they did start with a five letter title they just didn't get back to it till UAIOE (I think).
I liked a lot of what Skold did for KMFDM. "Anarchy" is one of the best KMFDM songs ever IMO. I think he should have been limited to maybe two or three vocals tracks per disc, but his instrumental contributions were really great on every song.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.