Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Song Remains The Same" reissue 11/20/07

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-27-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Billboard.com....

Led Zeppelin fans will have a lot to celebrate this fall thanks to the release of three new titles in multiple configurations. First up on Nov. 13 via Atlantic/Rhino is a two-disc, 24-track best-of, "Mothership." A deluxe reissue of the soundtrack to the 1976 concert film "The Song Remains the Same" with previously unreleased material and a new DVD edition of that movie will arrive Nov. 20 via Atlantic/Rhino and Warner Home Video, respectively.

"Mothership," tracks for which were chosen by surviving members Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, represents all eight of the band's studio albums. In addition to a two-disc set, the album will also be available in both "deluxe" and "collector's" editions with a DVD featuring varied live content from the previously released "Led Zeppelin DVD." A 4-LP vinyl package will also be sold.

As for the "The Song Remains the Same" soundtrack, it now sports six songs not included on the original album: "Black Dog," "Over the Hills and Far Away," "Misty Mountain Hop," "Since I've Been Loving You," "The Ocean" and "Heartbreaker." The album and film were recorded during a July 1973 stand at New York's Madison Square Garden.

"The Song Remains the Same" DVD includes all 14 songs from the original concert for the first time plus previously unreleased performances of "Over the Hills and Far Away," "Celebration Day," "The Ocean" and "Misty Mountain Hop." Rounding out the bonus items are a 1976 BBC interview with Plant and band manager Peter Grant and contemporary footage from the robbery at New York's Drake Hotel during the MSG run.

Beyond a standard DVD, the film will be sold in both HD DVD and Blu-ray formats, as well as a limited collector's edition that includes the soundtrack, a T-shirt with the original album art and reproductions of memorabilia from the era.

All the catalog activity gives further heft to rumors Plant, Page and Jones will reunite to perform at a proposed Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert this fall in London. Although no details have been announced, the group is also said to be mulling offers to tour under the Led Zeppelin name in 2008 with the late John Bonham's son Jason filling in on drums.

Here is the track list for "Mothership:

Disc One:
"Good Times Bad Times"
"Communication Breakdown"
"Dazed and Confused"
"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"
"Whole Lotta Love"
"Ramble On"
"Heartbreaker"
"Immigrant Song"
"Since I've Been Loving You"
"Rock and Roll"
"Black Dog"
"When the Levee Breaks"
"Stairway to Heaven"

Disc Two:
"The Song Remains the Same"
"Over the Hills and Far Away"
"D'Yer Maker"
"No Quarter"
"Trampled Under Foot"
"Houses of the Holy"
"Kashmir"
"Nobody's Fault But Mine"
"Achilles Last Stand"
"In the Evening"
"All My Love"

Here is the track list for "The Song Remains the Same":

Disc One:
"Rock and Roll"
"Celebration Day"
"Black Dog"
"Over the Hills and Far Away"
"Misty Mountain Hop"
"Since I've Been Loving You"
"No Quarter"
"The Song Remains the Same"
"The Rain Song"
"The Ocean"

Disc Two:
"Dazed and Confused"
"Stairway to Heaven"
"Moby Dick"
"Heartbreaker"
"Whole Lotta Love"
Old 07-27-07, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sounds cool

it will be nice to get that on DVD.

as for the "best of".. is that really needed? heck, the DVD that comes with that sounds like a ripoff. recycled content is never that exciting.
Old 07-27-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all the extra "The Song Remains The Same" songs already on the Led Zeppelin DVD from a couple years ago?

(But then again, I really can't complain about another Zeppelin release one way or the other)
Old 07-28-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dhmac
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all the extra "The Song Remains The Same" songs already on the Led Zeppelin DVD from a couple years ago?

(But then again, I really can't complain about another Zeppelin release one way or the other)
yup
Old 07-29-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dhmac

Over the hills and far away and Heartbreak are not on the DVD from a few years ago.
Old 07-29-07, 12:18 PM

The version of "No Quarter" on TSRTS is probably the best Led Zeppelin performance (studio or live) that I've ever heard. JPJ on the keyboards is a

I'll probably ask for this for Christmas.
Old 07-29-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by tcoursen
Over the hills and far away and Heartbreak are not on the DVD from a few years ago.
Heartbreaker is in the actual film but has never been on the cd. The songs on the dvd set from few years ago are unused from the film. Over The Hills And Far Away from the '73 MSG shows is the only song not in the film, on the cd, or on the dvd set from few years ago.
Old 07-30-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Beyond a standard DVD, the film will be sold in both HD DVD and Blu-ray formats
Old 07-30-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dubya
"Mothership," tracks for which were chosen by surviving members Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, represents all eight of the band's studio albums. In addition to a two-disc set, the album will also be available in both "deluxe" and "collector's" editions with a DVD featuring varied live content from the previously released "Led Zeppelin DVD." A 4-LP vinyl package will also be sold.
Most Zeppelin fans will already own the entire discography or the Boxed Set, I don't see how this is necessary. Also, no new stuff on the DVD either? Lame, if you ask me.

As for the "The Song Remains the Same" soundtrack, it now sports six songs not included on the original album: "Black Dog," "Over the Hills and Far Away," "Misty Mountain Hop," "Since I've Been Loving You," "The Ocean" and "Heartbreaker." The album and film were recorded during a July 1973 stand at New York's Madison Square Garden.
...all of which was already on the DVD. Add the live stuff on "How the West was Won" and "The BBC Sessions" and I don;t see why this is essential either.

"The Song Remains the Same" DVD includes all 14 songs from the original concert for the first time plus previously unreleased performances of "Over the Hills and Far Away," "Celebration Day," "The Ocean" and "Misty Mountain Hop." Rounding out the bonus items are a 1976 BBC interview with Plant and band manager Peter Grant and contemporary footage from the robbery at New York's Drake Hotel during the MSG run.
All already on the DVD (right?).

Beyond a standard DVD, the film will be sold in both HD DVD and Blu-ray formats, as well as a limited collector's edition that includes the soundtrack, a T-shirt with the original album art and reproductions of memorabilia from the era.
They had to put the original films through some fairly serious fixes to make them look even passably good. I'd say the DVD was at the source material's limit. I'm not sure what adding HD will do, you can't polish a... you get the picture.

Reading the track list, I'd say the Mothership comp is a nicely selected package for a newcomer, but not for anyone else.
Old 07-30-07, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Reading the track list, I'd say the Mothership comp is a nicely selected package for a newcomer, but not for anyone else.
good gift for a 21 year old brother
Old 08-03-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm kinda surprised (pleasantly so) to see "When the Levee Breaks", "Achilles Last Stand", & "In the Evening" on the greatest hits. Those are 3 of my favs but figured "Going to California, Black Mountainside, and a few others would have made it instead. This is a really good compilation for introducing someone to Zep. I won't be getting it but will get the new version of TSRTS.
Old 08-03-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
That compilation is imcomplete without Rain Song.
Old 08-03-07, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Last year I had a ton of trade-ins I took to Ameoba and while browsing the shelves, I came across a mint-condition used copy of the complete recordings boxed set. Easily one of the best purchases I've made. It doesn't matter what mood I'm in, I can always find an era of Zeppelin that works.
Old 08-04-07, 07:13 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdollaz
That compilation is imcomplete without Rain Song.
Quite frankly, there isn't a compilation that could be made of LZ that would be considered complete . . . this is an album-band.
Old 08-07-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by wilky61
The version of "No Quarter" on TSRTS is probably the best Led Zeppelin performance (studio or live) that I've ever heard. JPJ on the keyboards is a

I'll probably ask for this for Christmas.
Or performances (plural) as the case may be. Mr Page did some very inventive editing of the two performances they recorded for TSRTS. Call me stupid, but this is the first time I really think that there may be something to the reunion rumour which happens every 18 months or so.
Old 11-15-07, 02:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
So, the only difference between the 2 disc DVD and the 3 disc DVD is a t-shirt ?
If that's the case, I'll be getting the 2 disc set.
Old 11-15-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the super deluxe edition that has the shirt is supposed to have the 2 cds as well. Can anyone confirm?
Old 11-15-07, 03:03 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Can I just say this band puts a smile on my face every time I hear them. Does any band do that for you?
Old 11-15-07, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnysd
Or performances (plural) as the case may be. Mr Page did some very inventive editing of the two performances they recorded for TSRTS. Call me stupid, but this is the first time I really think that there may be something to the reunion rumour which happens every 18 months or so.
also weren't they pissed at the way the show turned out that some of the show is actually in front of a black curtain and no audience? Also i heard a rumor once that one of the band members (john paul jones i think) that refused to wear the same shirt twice for the reshoots, making continuity a pain.
Old 11-15-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarah8
Can I just say this band puts a smile on my face every time I hear them. Does any band do that for you?
The Beatles
Old 11-16-07, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sarah8
Agreed 100%.

Even the song "Hot Dog" makes me smile.
Old 11-16-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought the super deluxe edition that has the shirt is supposed to have the 2 cds as well. Can anyone confirm?
i thought so too, but the website (http://www.warnervideo.com/ledzeppelin) seems to only say it's 2-discs, with a T-shirt inside.

still, unless the price on the collector's edition is ridiculous, this seems like a nice package to add to any zep collection.
Old 11-16-07, 12:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thin Lizzy
Old 11-16-07, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
i thought so too, but the website (http://www.warnervideo.com/ledzeppelin) seems to only say it's 2-discs, with a T-shirt inside.
Interesting. Every description I have read of this product said that it included the soundtrack. I wonder what that could be if not the 2-disc cd set.
Old 11-17-07, 09:40 PM

Interesting. Every description I have read of this product said that it included the soundtrack. I wonder what that could be if not the 2-disc cd set.
I kinda had the same impression of the Collector's Edition, but I noticed there were no CDs in any images associated with the package. Then after some careful reading, it hit me that the "remastered soundtrack" referred to the DVD audio. Admittedly, Warner Bros. could have made that clearer. I ended up canceling my Amazon order for the CE and decided to settle for the regular edition.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.