Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Song Remains The Same" reissue 11/20/07

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

"The Song Remains The Same" reissue 11/20/07

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Well I think there is no question anymore that there is a full scale reunion:

1. The release of these albums

2. The benfit show

3. The Page "genie out of the bottle" comment

4. The launch of an official Led Zeppelin page

Have to say I am incredibly psyched. I hope they do new music too. It may suck, but I doubt it. And I will definitely seem them at least once when they tour.
Old 11-21-07, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnysd
Well I think there is no question anymore that there is a full scale reunion:

1. The release of these albums

2. The benfit show

3. The Page "genie out of the bottle" comment

4. The launch of an official Led Zeppelin page

Have to say I am incredibly psyched. I hope they do new music too. It may suck, but I doubt it. And I will definitely seem them at least once when they tour.
everyone thought the same thing when the Led Zeppelin DVD came out. they actually launched an official website then. i think pigs may fly before robert plant can sing the same way he did when with Zep.
Old 11-21-07, 11:09 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollowgen
everyone thought the same thing when the Led Zeppelin DVD came out. they actually launched an official website then. i think pigs may fly before robert plant can sing the same way he did when with Zep.
I think it is different this time. Plus, they ARE doing an entire show. Too much smoke. Of course, Plant could flake AGAIN at the last moment but I don't think so. As for Plant singing like he did with Zep, I think he will be fine. Even at his prime he really did not sing often with the falsetto used on the albums.
Old 11-22-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
They were just talking on the radio that Ian Ashbury (The Cult) said they were going to be the opening band for a tour with a band that had a L and a Z in the name. The DJ is assuming it's Zeppelin.

edit: found a link

http://www.star-ecentral.com/music/s...ate=11/22/2007

Led Zeppelin might embark on a world tour in 2008, according to supposed supporting act The Cult.

"We'll be back next year. Because we're opening for a band you may have heard of ... the name starts with an 'L' and has a 'Z' in it," Cult frontman Ian Astbury told fans at a Cult concert last Saturday.

The recently reformed Led Zeppelin are scheduled to play the O2 Arena in London next month.

Last edited by TheGuy; 11-22-07 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-26-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, I bought the new version of the CD and I really like it. Sounds great and having more songs is always a nice plus.

But, am I crazy or is No Quarter edited down and shortened? I don't have the original CD to compare to. I have the albums somewhere, but no turntable anyway. Also, is it me or is the guitar mixed louder than JPJ's organ? Are they dissing JPJ again?
Old 11-26-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by tcoursen
OK, I bought the new version of the CD and I really like it. Sounds great and having more songs is always a nice plus.

But, am I crazy or is No Quarter edited down and shortened? I don't have the original CD to compare to. I have the albums somewhere, but no turntable anyway. Also, is it me or is the guitar mixed louder than JPJ's organ? Are they dissing JPJ again?
No Quarter is 2 minutes shorter on the new cd. Dazed and Confused is 3 minutes longer. I'll have to check the others. I've only listened to the first few tracks of side one but Rock and Roll sounds slightly different in spots. I'm thinking they are using performances from a different night on the some of the tracks than what was used on the original issue.
Old 11-26-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info.

I guess I am used to the really long versions of No Quarter that are on some of the boots I have from the 1975 tour.
Old 11-30-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Why did they butcher Heartbreaker on the DVD? The song starts out great but then they cut out to some footage of them being robbed at their hotel, then goes back to the song and then back to more footage of the hotel again. Disapointing, I was hoping for a full scale jam fest with this song.

No Quarter is one of the best cuts on the DVD, really sounds great.( Although they cut away from the concert footage on this song also, but they don't cut the music to it.

Last edited by JOE29; 11-30-07 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-30-07, 04:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I think there was some talk that they weren't allowed to edit the film in any way (due to a rights issue). They were only allowed to enhance the audio. The cut to Peter Grant in the movie always takes me right out of their performance.
Old 01-02-08, 08:35 PM

So, if we already have the DVD from 2003, and I can't think of a reason not to have it, is it necessary to purchase the two disc set other than being a completist?
Old 01-03-08, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by duse
So, if we already have the DVD from 2003, and I can't think of a reason not to have it, is it necessary to purchase the two disc set other than being a completist?
The Song Remains The Same is not included in the 2003 dvd set. If that's all you have you don't have this. Curious that DVD Planet lists it as discontinued already and it does not showup in search results at Deep Discount. Amazon lists it as out of stock.
If you have the old snapcase version of dvd you need this for the inproved picture and awesome 5.1 DTS sound. Even if you could care less about features on disc 2.
As for the cd version. Every song from the original cd version has been replaced with a different version from a different night. So hang on to your old cd versions.
Old 01-06-08, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rw2516
As for the cd version. Every song from the original cd version has been replaced with a different version from a different night. So hang on to your old cd versions.
Before I run out and buy the new CDs, can someone else confirm this as well.
Old 01-16-08, 08:00 PM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Is this DVD already out of print? Neither the 2 disc version or the Limited Collector's Edition is in stock at any online retailers. Seems like it was only released a few months ago.
Old 01-16-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Is this DVD already out of print? Neither the 2 disc version or the Limited Collector's Edition is in stock at any online retailers. Seems like it was only released a few months ago.
still in-stock at BN.com
Old 01-16-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees

A friend of mine who owns a CD store told me they were recalled because of a licensing issue with some of the content.
Old 01-19-08, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheGuy
A friend of mine who owns a CD store told me they were recalled because of a licensing issue with some of the content.
any word of a re-release?