Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Have your musical tastes drastically changed?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Have your musical tastes drastically changed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slop101
While I like certain artists from pretty much every type of music (always have), the core of my preferred taste has always been Rock. But even my taste in Rock has always evolved, which I feel is necessary for any fan of music - as much you might like something, you just can't keep listening to the same shit over and over, year after year.

I mean, you have to move on. And if you're a true music fan, you do so because you're well-listened enough to have already memorized Zeppelin and Beatles, to love Dylan and Cash, to have grown up on U2, REM, and the Cure, to know Motown, to know Public Enemy and Metallica - you just want something new. Once you've gone through the classics, you move on. You start listening to indie rock, underground hip-hop, obscure metal, avant-garde jazz, regional folk - whatever. If you're a music fan, that's just what you do. Just like when you've seen enough Scorsese and Spielberg, you move on to Cassavetes or Melville. Otherwise, you've just stopped caring.
I also agree with this. And I could specify that my core listening now is Indie Rock, whereas 5 years ago (98-2002) it was classic rock and early/mid 90's rock. Before that (92-98) it was about 50/50 ska/alternative. Prior to that (85-92) it was mainstream radio.
Old 07-27-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't get seriously into music until relatively late (age 15, 16), and for me that was the early 80's, new wave and postpunk. Those bands and styles are still 80% of what I listen to, but those artists led me to other things. The Clash and others led led me to reggae and ska (and some world beat), which I now like immensely, and bands like X and the Stray Cats led me back to traditional country, rockabilly and some folk---I'm a Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan fan, and love Dwight Yoakam and a lot of other country artists. The one thing I did seem to permanently internalize from my postpunk roots though is that contempt for both 70's soft rock, and 70's prog rock---I've never really gone there, and don't suppose I ever will.
Old 07-27-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
My taste has not changed, it's expanded.

Song I liked when I was 15, I still like now. it's still the same song, it doesn't go bad like eggs. Just because I like something new, doesn't mean old faves get pushed out.

But I have opened myself up to new styles and genres since then.
Old 07-27-07, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
Song I liked when I was 15, I still like now. it's still the same song, it doesn't go bad like eggs. Just because I like something new, doesn't mean old faves get pushed out.
I'm not saying the songs go bad, they just get old, or I get tired of them. I mean, love The Who, but I swear, I'll do just fine if I never have to hear Baba O'Riley ever again - and I love that song. But something less canonized, say something off of Quadrophenia, I'm fine with because it's not as ingrained into my psyche.
Old 07-27-07, 08:17 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I'm not saying the songs go bad, they just get old, or I get tired of them. I mean, love The Who, but I swear, I'll do just fine if I never have to hear Baba O'Riley ever again - and I love that song. But something less canonized, say something off of Quadrophenia, I'm fine with because it's not as ingrained into my psyche.
Every year is the same
And I feel it again,
I'm a loser - no chance to win.
Leaves start falling,
Come down is calling,
Loneliness starts sinking in.

But I'm one.
I am one.
And I can see
That this is me,
And I will be,
You'll all see
I'm the one.

Where do you get
Those blue blue jeans?
Faded patched secret so tight.
Where do you get
That walk oh so lean?
Your shoes and your shirts
All just right.
But I'm one etc.

I got a Gibson
Without a case
But I can't get that even tanned look on my face.
Ill fitting clothes
I blend in the crowd,
Fingers so clumsy
Voice too loud.

But I'm one.
Old 07-27-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Shit, that's just as ingrained into me as anything! hmm... how about something off of "It's Hard"... er, scratch that.
Old 07-27-07, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
My taste has not changed, it's expanded.

But I have opened myself up to new styles and genres since then.
Exactly. I'm the same way.
Old 07-27-07, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went from Limp Bizkit being my favorite band, I loved them and it was pretty much all I listened to to later being into just rap and lots of it. Then moved down on to more underground rap and finally being introduced to Nine Inch Nails and almost completely leaving rap until eventually getting back into the underground stuff somewhat but mostly rock now. I now think Limp Bizkit is one of the worst groups out there and am embarrassed admitting I was a fan. Now I'm mostly into NIN, KMFDM, Ministry, Queens Of The Stone Age, and Primus.
Old 07-27-07, 11:01 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Shit, that's just as ingrained into me as anything! hmm... how about something off of "It's Hard"... er, scratch that.
"Eminence Front"'s a great song, but the lyrics don't read well.
Old 07-27-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I still listen to just about everything I listened to 30 years ago, 20 years ago, and 10 years ago.

If it's good, it's good. It's always good. Trends, fashions, none of that matters. What matters is what is good.

I LOVE KISS, Dio, Iron Maiden, Armored Saint, Galactic Cowboys, Thin Lizzy, UFO, Queen, etc, etc, etc...

But I also love Glenn Miller, Buddy Rich, Woody Herman, etc. I grew up listening to that stuff, and got to see several legendary Jazz Big Band leaders with their newer younger bands in the 70's and 80's - and they were fantastic. Totally different from a Rock concert, but still brilliant and entertaining.

I'm not someone who goes with a trend, who sticks a wet finger in the air to see which way the wind is blowing to figure out what is "cool." I go with what I like and I stick with it.
Old 07-27-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
"Eminence Front"'s a great song, but the lyrics don't read well.
I hear it's a put-on...
Old 07-28-07, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Imail724
I went from Limp Bizkit being my favorite band, I loved them and it was pretty much all I listened to to later being into just rap and lots of it. Then moved down on to more underground rap and finally being introduced to Nine Inch Nails and almost completely leaving rap until eventually getting back into the underground stuff somewhat but mostly rock now. I now think Limp Bizkit is one of the worst groups out there and am embarrassed admitting I was a fan. Now I'm mostly into NIN, KMFDM, Ministry, Queens Of The Stone Age, and Primus.
Don't feel too bad about it, I'm pretty sure everybody has dug a crap group like that sometimes. Quite an eye opener to go from that to the stuff you're listening now.
Old 07-28-07, 07:05 PM

The transition from high school (during which I mostly listened to classic rock) to college in the A.T.L. made me go from hating hip-hop to listening to it all the time, dancing to it at parties/bars, etc.
Old 07-30-07, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll one-up you and admit that I used to own Britney Spear's first CD!

As for my music tastes, they've pretty much stayed the same over the last 10 years or so. I listen to metal, hard rock, alt rock, classic rock, punk, R&B, classical and jazz. The majority of my CD collection is CDs from the mid-1990's. Over the past few years, I've been moving towards soundtracks.
Old 07-30-07, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You have redeemed yourself three times over for liking KMFDM.

But are you into the pre-breakup stuff or the post millennium & reformation stuff?

My cousin went through a musical change in her life. She once liked 90's alternative that evolved into liking late 90's hip-hop/rap , that turned into listening to country music. I'm not sure how that really ended up happening.

I myself spent the 80's and part of the 90's listening to pop music and never really thinking much of it. I hardly owned any CD's, I never owned more than 10 until sometime in 1997. I don't really think much of those "pop" years, except that the early 90's house/dance music I listened to eventually lead me to liking electronic music as much as I do.

I honestly don't remember what made me say "Hey, its time to take the music you listen to seriously." but I do credit that decision as having a huge impact on me.
Old 07-30-07, 08:17 AM

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I was going to say my tastes have gotten "lighter" by going from Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, NIN, and KMFDM to the opposite spectrum with Of Montreal, Zero 7, and Al Green. But then again, Pearl Jam is still my favorite band, I picked up the new Smashing Pumpkins, and I pick up every new KMFDM (new one coming out soon), so whatever, I guess.