Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Idiot quesiton for metal/hardcore fans, give me examples of "Breakdowns"

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-26-07, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what wiki had to say
Central to the bands of the genre, quite a few of which eschew traditional verse-chorus-verse songwriting, is the breakdown.

Stereotypically, a breakdown consists of slowing a song down, usually to half time, giving the guitars room to play a set of rhythmically oriented riffs, usually on open strings so as to achieve the lowest sound for which the guitars are tuned. Breakdowns can also consist of high pitched, often clashing offsets performed by two guitars in the same band: one band member plays the low chug chords while the other plays a higher pitched riff, which is frequently a minor second clash. Breakdown riffs are also typically played on the minor chord of the key, often D Minor due to use of Drop D tuning. These riffs are often accented by the drummer through double bass drums and use of the china cymbal.

Breakdowns are usually responded to by an audience by hardcore dancing. Vocalists also often throw in a single, repeated statement throughout the breakdown, giving those who are not dancing an opportunity to sing along. Many Metalcore bands rely on having memorable breakdowns rather than memorable choruses. Songs with breakdowns have become more common. Some bands have used them far more often than was previously the norm with some songs even resembling one elongated breakdown.
since i'm not the most muscially inclined, for those that are fans of the genre, which songs/bands have really good breakdowns.
Old 07-26-07, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most hardcore songs have breakdowns. Metal not so much, although a lot of metalcore bands do.

To sum up what wikipedia said, a lot of times it is when the band starts playing a slower tempo with no vocals thats a breakdown.

Listen to some Madball, All Out War, Terror, Sick of It All, and you will hear some breakdowns. It is hard to say, thats a breakdown without musical examples.
Old 07-26-07, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by cerial442
Most hardcore songs have breakdowns. Metal not so much, although a lot of metalcore bands do.

To sum up what wikipedia said, a lot of times it is when the band starts playing a slower tempo with no vocals thats a breakdown.

Listen to some Madball, All Out War, Terror, Sick of It All, and you will hear some breakdowns. It is hard to say, thats a breakdown without musical examples.
Actually, when I think of the breakdown, Sick Of It All is the quintessential band that first comes to mind for me.
Old 07-26-07, 04:54 PM
Goz

The above suggestions were all good. For a quick and dirty example, check out Brian Posehn's "Metal By Numbers" video:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...eoid=894305798

There's a couple of breakdowns in there.
Old 07-26-07, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Breakdown at 1:16 (or at 0:50 sec remaining the way youtube counts it down)

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/adR4rqMcGDw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/adR4rqMcGDw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Last edited by Mr. M; 07-26-07 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-27-07, 01:00 AM

Interesting topic; my favorite breakdowns are all in Metal. Think Slayer Angel of Death, Metallica 4 Horsemen, Megadeth Wake up dead, shit, the list is way too long to continue. This is a tried and true metal staple that I hope never goes away.

The latest group I've seen master the metal breakdown is The Showdown.