Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Paul Kelly (Australian w/ great new album)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-24-07, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul Kelly has never gotten his due in the U.S. He's been pumping out album after album of wonderful songs since the 80's. His new album Stolen Apples is as good as anything he's released before, which is amazing after all this time. While I would describe his songs as singer-songwriter, they aren't close to boring coffee house acoustic tunes. He's dabbled in electronica and bluegrass but mostly sticks to "normal" rock songs and has worked with masters like Nick Cave. Voice sounds a little like Dylan in "Lay Lady Lay".

Anyway, if you are in the mood to learn about a fantastic talent Down Under then check this guy out. His new album is a great place to start. But any will do.

Old 07-24-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow he's still around. I remember loving "Under the Sun" and "Too Much Water Too close to home" back in the 90's. I'll have to check it out.
Old 07-24-07, 12:58 PM
Mod Emeritus

Off-topic

I must admit that I'd not heard of Kelly.

According to Amazon there is a link to the guy I'm going to mention because of what people who bought "Songs from the South: The Best of Paul Kelly" also bought!

Yep, the other Aussie vocalist I'd not encountered prior to Bob Daisley's Living Loud project was the AC/DC-esque* former Cold Chisel frontman Jimmy Barnes.

* If you go to the Living Loud site and select audio and then play track one - assuming you are blessed with the sense of hearing - you'll see what I mean! The whole album grows on you, incidentally. And in a good way.
Old 07-24-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by benedict
Jimmy Barnes.
Isn't he that guy who did the Call song on the Lost Boys sndtrk and filled in as an INXS singer for a tour? Maybe I'm totally wrong. I'd have to listen to his stuff to get a better idea. Guessing he's in a totally different arena than Paul Kelly.
Old 07-24-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cungar
Wow he's still around. I remember loving "Under the Sun" and "Too Much Water Too close to home" back in the 90's. I'll have to check it out.
Yeah, he's quietly released albums pretty much nonstop all the way through. I don't think he has a bum album in his whole catalogue.