DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Sum 41 new album - Underclass hero: Anyone getting this? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/507205-sum-41-new-album-underclass-hero-anyone-getting.html)

firteen88 07-23-07 09:23 PM

Sum 41 new album - Underclass hero: Anyone getting this?

Anyone picking up the new Sum 41 album that comes out tomorrow (07/24/07)? Has anyone heard it yet (I think it was on MTV leaked)? Anygood?

gunpowder 07-24-07 02:43 AM

I have been a Sum 41 fan from right around when Half Hour of Power came out. I even enjoyed most of All Killer No Filler. They have been going downhill from then but this new cd is very very bad. They tried to make their own American Idiot (which is not a good idea by anyone). This comes off as a wannabe American Idiot and fails at that. One "punk rock opera/concept" album is more than we need.

Joeboo835 07-24-07 07:15 PM

I couldn't agree more with Gunpowder. Horrible horrible disc and I'm actually a huge fan of theirs. I even liked their last one, even though its not as good as the rest.

I was excited too because Underclass Hero is a pretty good song. Its kinda interesting how they went from a fun "punk" (if thats what you want to call it) band to a wannabe serious metal band, and now i have no idea what they are. The songs are all VERY melow and if you go that route, you have to be believeable and they're just not. I think this will probably finish off what could have been a pretty decent run.

uncle-frank 07-24-07 09:36 PM

im gunna pass on this one, their first 2 were good, after that i stopped.

sergtv 07-25-07 12:55 PM

I saw them on Leno last night.. when did they get a new guitarest? and what happened to the other guitarest? the song they sang sounded to much like green day.

JPRaup 07-25-07 01:04 PM

Its really generic, and uninteresting album.

firteen88 07-26-07 11:46 AM

Underclass hero is a good song but sounds EXACTLY like fat lip.
The guitarist left the band after their last album ( i believe) they got a new one.
I got the CD and I don't hate it. It's probably my least fav album of theirs but I don't think it's horrible. It def rips of Green day/blink 182 though.

TripWire 07-26-07 12:45 PM

i caught them on Leno also, is it just me or was the singing the whole time horribly flat and sounded like a wannabe blink 182 song?

mdc3000 07-26-07 04:36 PM

bought it, hate it. With the exception of one or two songs that I like, the rest sounds like rehashing of their own songs, mixed with 'american idiot' tracks... and sum 41 is no green day... just a huge disappointment... if their next record is like this, they're done IMO.

MTRodaba2468 07-30-07 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by gunpowder
They tried to make their own American Idiot (which is not a good idea by anyone). This comes off as a wannabe American Idiot and fails at that. One "punk rock opera/concept" album is more than we need.

Not to try and come across like an elitist or anything, but American Idiot isn't the only (or the first, for that matter) "punk rock opera/concept" album.

Anyway, I was never a huge Sum 41 fan, but I found them listenable, especially due to Dave (the lead guitarist), whom I enjoyed. Since he's left the band, I really have no desire to listen to the new album.

BravesMG 07-30-07 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Not to try and come across like an elitist or anything, but American Idiot isn't the only (or the first, for that matter) "punk rock opera/concept" album.

I'd agree, but this album sounds most like American Idiot-lite to me as well. It sounds like they listened to American Idiot, liked it and what it was trying to say, and reworked their old stuff to sound like it.

I don't think it's horrible or anything, but it's impossible for me to listen to the CD without thinking about comparisons to sounds/songs from American Idiot.

Adam Tyner 07-30-07 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by bravesmg
It sounds like they listened to American Idiot, liked it and what it was trying to say, and reworked their old stuff to sound like it.

Wouldn't be the first time they shamelessly aped another band.

"The Bitter End" versus Metallica's "Battery".
"Pieces" and Coldplay's "The Scientist".

BravesMG 07-30-07 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Wouldn't be the first time they shamelessly aped another band.

"The Bitter End" versus Metallica's "Battery".
"Pieces" and Coldplay's "The Scientist".

I don't know the Coldplay song, but that is a good point about Battery.

I guess it's hypocritical of me to say, but I'll still listen to Underclass Hero for a while and keep it in the rotation, even recognizing that it's a wholly unoriginal piece of work. It's poppy and catchy at times and basically harmless.

I do miss the guitarist that left, I didn't notice it until one of the posts above mentioned it, but there is a more generic sound here.

God, I'm basically disappointed and bored with the CD already, but because I can't find anything new that I like whatsoever, I'm defending listening to it.

Edit: Meant to say "wholly unoriginal", there's not much "original" about this album.

nodeerforamonth 07-30-07 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by bravesmg
I don't know the Coldplay song, but that is a good point about Battery.

It's even more blatant then the Battery ripoff. Someone (on this board) posted a link to where someone did a mp3 of it w/ the Coldplay song in one ear and the Sum41 song in the other. Lined up perfectly.