Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Hi - I'm the lead singer for 6 bands!...

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-23-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

As I find myself listening to more music and finding more out about the various personalities involved I am finding it common practice for a lot of the frontmen/singer-songwriters to be opperating in multiple bands as once.

This really irks me. If it were something totally different - say rock v jazz - I could understand. It's not though! These guys are running two, sometimes more bands, and releasing albums and it's cearly the same "sound".

Anybody else?
Old 07-23-07, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm Damon Albaran is quite different with Blur (if they ever release another album) and The Gorillaz
and Mike Patton has enough variety with his bands I think
Daryl Palumbo is very different with Glassjaw and Head Automatica

but yeah I agree with you, a lot of the time it is the same genre.
Old 07-23-07, 11:39 AM

Sometimes people like to be prolific because they have a creative personality (Mike Patton as mentioned above) or simply they don't want to lay all the eggs in the same basket to maximize the chances of success and a band is simply not enough for them. There's all kinds. Remember you have the choice to decide which ones you want to listen to, if any at all. For example, with Mike Patton I've bought his albums for Faith No More, Mr. Bungle and Fantomas, but really haven't warmed up to Tomahawk, Peeping Tom or Lovage enough for me to go and buy any of those. It doesn't bother me though.
Old 07-23-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
This really irks me. If it were something totally different - say rock v jazz - I could understand. It's not though! These guys are running two, sometimes more bands, and releasing albums and it's cearly the same "sound".
Maybe it's all they know how to do?

A lot of artists release solo albums that sound nothing like their primary musical output, and they often sound like shit. Exhibit A would be Alex Lifeson's "Victor" CD. Just because someone has a talent (even a lot of talent) in one area doesn't mean that talent translates to other things. Another good example would be Rob Halford's solo work. After some experimental crap, he ended up doing "Judas Priest" music as a solo artist.

I know these examples aren't exactly what you're talking about, but I can't think of any bands like you're describing at the moment.
Old 07-23-07, 04:52 PM

Thrice and the singer's (Dustin Kensrue) solo album are complete opposites. Thrice is punk/metalish (I know their latest album was more alt rock) but his solo album is acoustic folk type stuff. Pretty cool.
Old 07-23-07, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't even think of a singer that is in two bands that are similar.

Maybe Postal Service and Death Cab for Cutie.

Maybe Dntel and James Figurine.

But most of the times when someone is in multiple bands, it's pretty different.
Old 07-23-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07
I am finding it common practice for a lot of the frontmen/singer-songwriters to be opperating in multiple bands as once.

So what?
Old 07-23-07, 05:33 PM

examples of singers in kinda similar bands..
chris cornell in audioslave and soundgarden didn't exactly change too much in the way he sung...
chino moreno in deftones and team sleep was about the same..just deftone's quiter songs in another band
maynard keenan in tool and a perfect circle..singiing style about the same..granted tool has it's own sound but not totally out of genre with APC

solo albums, i'm not really counting
but i would say most of the time those tend to be similar..
thom yorke/radiohead, frank black/pixies, dave gahan/depeche mode, tim skold/kmfdm

except billy corgan's solo and smashing pumpkins :P

Last edited by TripWire; 07-23-07 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-23-07, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't think Audioslave sounds like Soundgarden in any way really.
Old 07-23-07, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cdollaz I agree with you on that. Chris has the same singing technique and sound but that is normal, you cant change everything. The overall sound is quite different though. If you want to generalize then yes they are both Rock, but saying they are the same would be like saying any rock band is the same as another.
Also he was the main writer for Audioslave, and Soundgarden so the lyrics will be similar is style. But the Sound, that is quite different.

ff7
Old 07-23-07, 09:42 PM

Right they aren't exactly the same, but they are in the same genre...and there are obvious differences between morello and cornell...but I don't think that joining Audioslave was a stretch for Cornell at all
Old 07-23-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts
Burton Bell changes things fairly drastically between Fear Factory and Ascension of the Watchers.
Old 07-23-07, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tim Ripper Owens
former singer of Judas Priest
current singer of Iced Earth and Beyond Fear
Old 07-24-07, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TripWire
Blur (if they ever release another album)
In case you're a Blur fan, they're going to be recording a new album together very soon. Via Wikipedia:

Reunion with Coxon and new album: 2007-present

In April 2007, Alex James said that the band will reemerge from their hiatus: "We're all heading into the studio together [this August] - Graham's coming too," he told Dotmusic. "We're gonna see if we've still got it. If not, I think we'll just call it a day." [31] Since then, the band has formally announced that a new album is in the works. HMV has also listed the as-yet untitled new studio album on its website. Blur drummer Dave Rowntree has hinted that the band, including previously absent guitarist Graham Coxon, are to record together in September. Rowntree told NME recently: There is a week in the diary in September. But it's a very small thing - it could either be a seed or a full-stop.
Old 07-24-07, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Al Jourgensen...although he isn't really the lead singer for all of these projects:

Ministry
Revolting Cocks
1000 Homo DJ's
Lard
Pailhead
Acid Horse
PTP

The 1,000 Homo DJ's version of "Supernaut" is really, really good.
Old 07-24-07, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Burton Bell changes things fairly drastically between Fear Factory and Ascension of the Watchers.
There is always at least one track on each FF album though that sounds exactly like what he was doing with Ascension of the Watchers
Old 07-24-07, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by kakihara1
There is always at least one track on each FF album though that sounds exactly like what he was doing with Ascension of the Watchers
Yeah, I guess that's true. I forgot about those songs for some reason.
Old 07-25-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I am a big Mike Patton fan and aside from his noise projects, which I own, really like most of his bands. I love the Deftones and equally like Teamsleep, which Chino sounds much the same, but the music of the band is much different.