Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

if Kurt Cobain had lived, would Nirvana be BIGGER than what Pearl Jam is today?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-12-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When Kurt Cobain committed suicide in 1994, I felt the loss. Nirvana was the one band at the time where I could go out and blindly buy one of their new releases without hesitation.

Had he lived, do you think Nirvana would still be a hot band, top of the charts, or do you think they would be in Pearl Jam's league in 2007?

I'm not saying Pearl Jam is bad, but in my opinion I don't think they're as hot as they once were.
Old 07-12-07, 07:51 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts
I think even with Cobain's death, Nirvana NOW is still bigger than what Pearl Jam is today.

Pearl Jam's first album was incredible. And every album since then has been a rambling disappointment. Pearl Jam is not the influencial group it was right after "Ten" was released. As a matter of fact, I would put them only 1-2 notches above the current stature of what "Hootie and the Blowfish" is today.
Old 07-12-07, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts
No band stays on top forever.

Nirvana's sound is very dated. They were great for their time, but I think Cobain's act would have worn thin long ago.
Old 07-12-07, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd rather have the Foo Fighters than Nirvana. If that means sacrificing Kurt Cobain then I'd pull the trigger myself.
Old 07-12-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I think even with Cobain's death, Nirvana NOW is still bigger than what Pearl Jam is today.

Pearl Jam's first album was incredible. And every album since then has been a rambling disappointment. Pearl Jam is not the influencial group it was right after "Ten" was released. As a matter of fact, I would put them only 1-2 notches above the current stature of what "Hootie and the Blowfish" is today.

Bands don't have to be fucking "influencial" to be good. They have to put out good albums. Pearl Jam's last album is their very best. Times change and good bands change with the times. Pearl Jam has done this. I doubt Nirvana wouldvel been together much longer after In Utero's release.
Old 07-12-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Couldn't agree more, except that I thought their second album was very good also. But everything after that was downhill.
Old 07-12-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I think Cobain would have left the band anyway and tried to get out of the spot light.
Old 07-12-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Lara Means
Pearl Jam's last album is their very best.
Not even remotely. It's only great in comparison to the disappointing releases that preceded it following No Code.
Old 07-12-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I like Foo Fighters better than either of them as well.
Old 07-12-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ditto on the Foo front, but I think Pearl Jam has been a lot more consistant than Nirvana would have been... hell, I revisit early PJ all the time, but I haven't had the urge to listen to Nirvana in a long time.
Old 07-12-07, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
I wonder what Nirvana would have done post In Utero. You Know You're Right was not a step in the right direction, IMHO. I also wonder what the alterna-pop heyday of the late 90s would have done to the band. Cobain might have killed himself anyway.
Old 07-12-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shouldn't the question be "If Kurt Cobain had lived and Nirvana was still together..."

They basically broke up before he killed himself. The (good) biographies will tell you this and that was basically the news in the industry at the time. It was also rumored that they were supposed to do Lalapalooza, but backed out (presumably because they weren't a band by that time).

Kurt expressed desire to people like John Robinson of the Fluid to do a "REMey" pop type of thing.

Either way the question is worded, I'd have to say "no". Unfortunately.

Last edited by nodeerforamonth; 07-12-07 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-12-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts
Him and Courtney would be Whitney and Bobbi by now. If one or both weren't dead.
Old 07-12-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pearl Jam's first album was incredible.
I was going to post the same thing about Nirvana. I agree with you about them, but not Pearl Jam. I hate their debut about as much as any recording ever made. The odd thing to me is that I like "Vitalogy", though.
Old 07-12-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aside from Ten by Pearl Jam, I like the songs Dissident and Yellow Ledbedder.
Old 07-12-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mopower
I'd rather have the Foo Fighters than Nirvana. If that means sacrificing Kurt Cobain then I'd pull the trigger myself.
I feel pretty much the same way you do.
Old 07-12-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe they've been a disappointment to some (yourself included), but I preferred Vs., Vitalogy and No Code to Ten. That's not to say that I don't love Ten, but the other albums were more progressive.
Old 07-12-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
As far as Pearl Jam, I like Yield the best.
Old 07-12-07, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Couldn't disagree with you more. Have you actually listened to the albums? Or are you just making that statement to make it?

Hootie and the Blowfish have trouble filling clubs, Pearl Jam still plays to sell-out crowds the world over. Their last album has sold around 1.6 million copies world wide, and they charted at #2 the first week of sales.
Old 07-12-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been "over" Pearl Jam for 10 years but even I know that's not a fair analogy. Their last album was quite successful and a bit of a comeback for them, peaking at #2, Hootie's albums barely dent the lower rung of the charts at this point.
Old 07-12-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

if Cobain had lived, Nirvana would have been a cult band with a small following. So no.
Old 07-12-07, 01:48 PM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveWadding
if Cobain had lived, Nirvana would have been a cult band with a small following.
So you're saying that Nirvana would be just like Pearl Jam.
Old 07-12-07, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I'm not saying Pearl Jam is bad, but in my opinion I don't think they're as hot as they once were.
Way to go out on a limb there.

das
Old 07-12-07, 02:08 PM
Mod Emeritus

Let me get this straight....

Originally Posted by stingermck
Him and Courtney would be Whitney and Bobbi by now. If one or both weren't dead.
.... if Kurt Cobain had lived there's a 50% chance he'd be dead?
Old 07-12-07, 02:11 PM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveWadding
if Cobain had lived, Nirvana would have been a cult band with a small following. So no.
I somewhat agree. Nirvana was a lot less "fresh" by the time that Cobain committed suicide, and by that time a lot of the fair weather fans had moved on. He's kills himself, and suddenly people who had only heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit" a couple times on the radio where declaring him a "genius".

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.