DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   The best pianists? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/505087-best-pianists.html)

xenononon 06-30-07 08:45 AM

The best pianists?

Yeah, whos every's favourite pianist's ?
Mine would hav to be Horowitz, Mozdzer, Dong Hyek Lim, and Blechacz

The Bus 06-30-07 08:51 AM

I don't know too many pianists but I really like Keith Jarrett.

whaaat 06-30-07 08:57 AM

Bill Evans

Arpeggi 06-30-07 02:06 PM

Thelonious Monk

wendersfan 06-30-07 03:08 PM

I have no idea who since Glenn Gould died.

Nausicaa 06-30-07 03:21 PM

Another vote for Keith Jarrett. I mostly enjoy his solo improvisations. La Scala and Vienna concert are real treasures.

JumpCutz 06-30-07 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
I don't know too many pianists but I really like Keith Jarrett.

:thumbsup: That's the first name that came to mind. Amazing pianist.

dhmac 06-30-07 07:07 PM

In Classical, it depends on which music, because different performers are better at the styles of different eras and composers...

For Schubert, I like Albert Brendel

For Beethoven, I like Richard Goode

For Chopin, I like Artur Rubinstein

For J.S. Bach, I like Andras Schiff

For Debussy and Ravel, I like Pascal Rogé

And for any other composers, I don't have a preference... yet.

JumpCutz 07-01-07 01:58 AM

Keith Jarrett...

whaaat 07-01-07 07:39 PM

Keith Jarrett fans, what's a good starting point for collecting his recordings? I'm only familiar with his work with Miles Davis.

JumpCutz 07-01-07 08:04 PM

I'd go with 'The Koln Concert' for starters. 'Keith Jarrett at the Blue Note' is also
exquisite. I picked up 'Radiance' a week or so ago but haven't had a chance to give it a spin yet.

Jason 07-01-07 08:56 PM

Sorry, but this was the first thing that popped into my head.

A man walks into a bar looking disappointed and carrying a black bag over one shoulder. He sits down at the bar. The bartender walks up. "What`s in the bag?", asks the bartender. The man puts the bag on the bar, reaches in and pulls out a baby grand piano, a small bench and a 12 inch tall man wearing a top hat and a tux with tails. The 12 inch tall man sits down at the piano and begins playing Beethoven. "That`s amazing!" says the bartender, his eyes wide with disbelief. "Where did he come from?". The man reaches into the bag and pulls out a genie lamp. "Rub the lamp" he says, pushing the lamp toward the bartender. The bartender grabs the lamp and begins rubbing it vigorously with his bar rag. Out pops an old, wrinkled genie. "I grant you one wish" he says to the bartender. "I want a million bucks!" says the bartender. "Done" says the genie. The genie disappears back into the lamp. Moments pass. Suddenly a duck appears on the bar with a poof. Then another....and another. They appear on the bar stools...on the tables...on the Budweiser sign on the wall. POOF...POOF...POOF. Thousands...tens of thousands of ducks begin to fill the bar! "Christ!" shouts the bartender. "I didn't`t say ducks!" he yells, "I said bucks!". The man at the bar looks at the bartender, "You think I asked for a 12 inch pianist?"

Norm de Plume 07-03-07 12:57 AM

For non-classical, maybe Bruce Hornsby.

Aphex Twin 07-03-07 01:19 AM

I like Phillip Glass.

Nausicaa 07-03-07 01:42 AM

Great video JumpCutz, thanks!

Originally Posted by whaaat
Keith Jarrett fans, what's a good starting point for collecting his recordings? I'm only familiar with his work with Miles Davis.

It depends what your looking for, as his catalogue is one of the more vast in the jazz world.

As I said in my first post, I'm most interested in his extended solo improvisations. Most people tend to start out with the Koln Concert (which is also one of the best selling jazz records of all time, and also my starting point with Jarrett), which is probably his most accessible solo album. However, perhaps even more accessible and lesser known is his Solo Concerts: Bremen and Lausanne. Both albums are very beautiful and have easily enjoyable melodies.

However, in terms of his best? La Scala is unquestionably his most mature, profound, and moving performance. It's definitely more dense, but far more rewarding for the careful, attentive listener than many of his other albums.

Vienna and Paris concerts are also very close to La Scala as his best in my opinion.

If you're looking for Jarrett in a more traditional jazz setting, I'd say the recent Keith Jarrett Trio recordings are among his best. He's accomponied by Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette. My favorite Trio recording is Standards in Norway.

Sorry if that doesn't really answer your question. I have a hard time defining Jarrett's best or good starting points since I hold all of it in such high regard.

NORML54601 07-03-07 07:53 AM

Steve Nieve

[email protected] 07-03-07 09:49 AM

I'm woefully uninformed as to most classical pianists. I have a Michael Tilson Thomas record of Gershwin tunes that I like a lot. And I've always like Katia and Marielle Labeque.

In jazz, I'm also lacking. I do like Herbie Hancock, Duke Ellington, Oscar Peterson and Nat King Cole.

In rock, here are a few of my favorites:
Billy Payne (Little Feat)
Chris Stainton (Clapton, Joe Cocker)
Roy Bittan (Springsteen, Meatloaf)
Dr. John
Rick Wakeman (Yes)
John Lord (Deep Purple, mostly a B3 player)
Billy Powell (Lynyrd Skynyrd, overshadowed by 3 guitarists)
Benmont Tench (Tom Petty, Wallflowers)

creekdipper 07-03-07 10:32 PM

The Killer...Jerry Lee.

whaaat 07-04-07 05:43 PM

Thanks, Jumpcutz & Nausicaa!

Cronenbergfan71 07-04-07 09:17 PM

I love Thelonious Monk, Keith Jarrett, Bill Evans and McCoy Tyner, especially his work with John Coltrane. I absolutely adore the playing of Cecil Taylor, although I know it's probably not to the taste of most people.

There are many classical pianists' work that I love. Glenn Gould first got me into listening to solo piano works and I still love his sometimes unusual interpretations.

I'm more of a guitar, bass and drums lover when it comes to the rock and pop side of things. I tend to prefer piano used as an embellishment in those sorts of music, with some exceptions.