DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Orbital fans! Paul Hartnoll "The Ideal Condtion" out now (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/504489-orbital-fans-paul-hartnoll-ideal-condtion-out-now.html)

fallfan 06-23-07 11:28 PM

Orbital fans! Paul Hartnoll "The Ideal Condtion" out now

1. Havent We Met Before
2. For Silence
3. Simple Sounds (with Lianne Hall)
4. Please (with Robert Smith)
5. The Unsteady Waltz
6. Nothing Else Matters (with Akayzia Parker)
7. Patchwork Guilt
8. Aggro (with Joseph Arthur)
9. Dust Motes

Really liking it so far. Could easily pass for a new Orbital album. Biggest change is many songs use actual strings instead of synths. Not out in the US, but you can get it fairly cheap on Amazon marketplace.

Giles 06-25-07 08:29 AM

cool! thanks... just bought/watched the Orbital Glastonbury DVD - will buy a copy of Paul's new album

mbrunet 06-25-07 09:41 AM

It's a pretty ace, album - I especially like the cut with Robert Smith ("Please").

Speaking of Glastonbury, did anyone catch Long Range's set? The band's made up of Phil Hartnoll with Nick Smith.

It's nice to see that the Hartnolls are still making quality music even after Orbital broke up (although I could say that they weren't necessary making quality music during the last stage of Orbital - I still shudder at most of "The Altogether")

Giles 06-25-07 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by mbrunet
It's a pretty ace, album - I especially like the cut with Robert Smith ("Please").

Speaking of Glastonbury, did anyone catch Long Range's set? The band's made up of Phil Hartnoll with Nick Smith.

It's nice to see that the Hartnolls are still making quality music even after Orbital broke up (although I could say that they weren't necessary making quality music during the last stage of Orbital - I still shudder at most of "The Altogether")

oh I don't mind it, I find 'The Blue Album' to be more hit and miss...

Giles 06-25-07 09:49 AM

question: are there any bonus songs on the UK single of 'Please', amazon.co.uk doesn't list them and I assume there's more than just the one song... right?

mbrunet 06-25-07 03:02 PM

Giles,

It looks like the regular UK single has one b-side and two remixes. But there's a promo single that has a bunch more (but annoyingly not the b-side from the regular single) See discography at the link below.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Paul+Hartnoll

Off-topic

Our tastes are slightly transposed - I'm much more a fan of the Blue Album than Altogether. But neither of them can touch Orbital's prior work. For giggles, here's my ranking of their "proper" albums (EPs, soundtracks, and remix albums not included):

1. Brown Album
2. In Sides
3. Sniv
4. Middle of Nowhere
5. Green Album
6. Blue Album
7. Altogether

Phod 06-25-07 03:05 PM

I would agree, their older albums (Brown, Sniv, and Insides specifically) are far more complete works. You can pop one of those in and listen to it through without hitting next track.

Their later stuff got a bit off for me. I'm certainly more of a fan of stuff like One Perfect Sunrise and Lost than some of the "edgier" stuff (for the lack of a better term).

The new Paul Hartnoll album is pretty good, as is the song "Gloopy" from an EP released before the album but not included on it. There are like 8 or so remixes of Please out there though they all kinda sound the same to me.

UAIOE 06-25-07 03:10 PM

If I ever have some serious work I need to do on the computer I always pop in "Middle of Nowhere".

Blue album had a few good songs but "Altogether" was really hit and miss.

"Dr. Who" theme was cool though.

Giles 06-25-07 05:20 PM

oh and I just found out that the import Orbital Glastonbury DVD is region free and can playback on NTSC players - good news for us US fans!

mbrunet 06-25-07 05:51 PM

Thanks for the confirmation, Giles. I'm jealous that you've seen/heard the Glasto disc already - CDWOW lost my order and is re-shipping now. Is the sound quality on CD 1 as bad as rumored?

For those of you interested in the Glastonbury set, it's on an indie UK label, so I wouldn't expect it to get a release in the U.S. With the DVDtalk discount, it's a pretty good deal at CDWOW for 2 CDs and a region-free DVD.

Giles 06-26-07 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by mbrunet
Thanks for the confirmation, Giles. I'm jealous that you've seen/heard the Glasto disc already - CDWOW lost my order and is re-shipping now. Is the sound quality on CD 1 as bad as rumored?

For those of you interested in the Glastonbury set, it's on an indie UK label, so I wouldn't expect it to get a release in the U.S. With the DVDtalk discount, it's a pretty good deal at CDWOW for 2 CDs and a region-free DVD.

honestly, I have yet to listen to the CD portion of the release, I'll post here when I do.

Phod 06-26-07 09:38 AM

How do you get the DVDtalk discount?

mbrunet 06-26-07 09:50 AM

Phod,

Here's the link for the $2 off voucher

http://www.cd-wow.us/dvdtalk