Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Albums That Need To Be Remastered.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Albums That Need To Be Remastered.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-07, 11:40 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure I'll get blasted by the music snobs on this board for my choices but I don't really give a ****.

CHEAP TRICK - ONE on ONE
CHEAP TRICK - NEXT POISTION PLEASE
CHEAP TRICK - STANDING on the EDGE
CHEAP TRICK - THE DOCTOR
CHEAP TRICK - LAP of LUXURY
DURAN DURAN - NOTORIOUS
DURAN DURAN - BIG THING
DURAN DURAN - LIBERTY
DURAN DURAN - DURAN DURAN (aka the Wedding Album)
ARCADIA - SO RED the ROSE
MEN at WORK - TWO HEARTS
CURE - BOYS DON'T CRY
CURE - JAPANESE WHISPERS
CURE - DISINTEGRATION
CURE - MIXED UP
CURE - WISH
ADAM ANT - MANNERS & PHYSIQUE
TEARS for FEARS - ELEMENTAL
FLEETWOOD MAC - MIRAGE
FLEETWOOD MAC - TANGO in the NIGHT
THOMPSON TWINS - All of their albums except for QUICK STEP & SIDE KICK which was recently remastered.
HEART - All of their albums after BEBE le STRANGE up to their last cd.
CONCRETE BLONDE - All of their albums except for the last 3 (I know their first two have been remastered but they sound terrible.)
MADONNA - WHO'S THAT GIRL through EXOTICA at the very least.
BERLIN - PLEASURE VICTIM
BERLIN - LOVE LIFE
BERLIN - COUNT THREE and PRAY
TERRI NUNN - MOMENT of TRUTH
HOWARD JONES - All of his albums up to PEOPLE.

I could go one because there is a ton of music from the 80's and 90's that hasn't been remastered yet.
Old 06-27-07, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matt Bowers
I'm sure I'll get blasted by the music snobs on this board for my choices but I don't really give a ****.

CHEAP TRICK - ONE on ONE
CHEAP TRICK - NEXT POISTION PLEASE
CHEAP TRICK - STANDING on the EDGE
CHEAP TRICK - THE DOCTOR
CHEAP TRICK - LAP of LUXURY
All of Cheap Trick's Epic/Sony catalog was remastered about 4 years ago. Unfortunately it was only for the Japanese market, and most of them are out of print now. You should still be able to get Standing On The Edge and The Doctor, though. Check CD Japan , or E-bay. Incidentally, they sound better than the US versions that have been re-mastered, too.
Old 06-27-07, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Loveless by My Bloody Valentine
I dunno, that album was expressly mixed and mastered to sound a very specific way. I'm not saying it couldn't be improved, just that any changes would have to be very carefully done.
Old 06-29-07, 08:29 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
All of Cheap Trick's Epic/Sony catalog was remastered about 4 years ago. Unfortunately it was only for the Japanese market, and most of them are out of print now. You should still be able to get Standing On The Edge and The Doctor, though. Check CD Japan , or E-bay. Incidentally, they sound better than the US versions that have been re-mastered, too.

Yeah, I know but I don't want to pay $30 if they'll eventually be released in the U.S. Of course if they do sound better than the U.S. versions then it might be worth the extra dough.
Old 06-29-07, 05:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
CURE - BOYS DON'T CRY
CURE - JAPANESE WHISPERS
CURE - DISINTEGRATION
CURE - MIXED UP
CURE - WISH
Rhino is currently working on The Cure remasters, and we're getting all the original studio albums, so Disintegration and Wish are on the table and coming soon.

And most of the songs on those compilations are available either on the bonus discs for the remasters, or the 4-disc B-sides box set Rhino released a few years back.

Last edited by Supermallet; 06-29-07 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-29-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Rhino is currently working on The Cure remasters, and we're getting all the original studio albums, so Disintegration and Wish are on the table and coming soon.

And most of the songs on those compilations are available either on the bonus discs for the remasters, or the 4-disc B-sides box set Rhino released a few years back.
IIRC, they will NOT be doing a remaster for Boys Don't Cry since it was technically a repackaged version of Three Imaginary Boys with some different tracks for the US market. Also, Japanese Whispers was more of a ollection of the singles released during the 1984 period. Most of those tracks have already been remastered on the "Join the Dots" boxset.

Last edited by dvduser6; 06-29-07 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-29-07, 07:20 PM

Every Kate Bush Album from The Kick Inside to The Sensual World, not including Hounds of Love as that has already been done. They were supposed to do them all but only did Hounds.
Old 06-29-07, 07:43 PM

REO Speedwagon-You Get What You Play For
Old 06-29-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I know but I don't want to pay $30 if they'll eventually be released in the U.S. Of course if they do sound better than the U.S. versions then it might be worth the extra dough.

Oh they may be...someday. The first 4 Cheap Trick albums got the re-master treatment in '98, and it took them until last year to do the last two (three if you count the online only Next Position Please) - so if you go by Sony/BMG's erratic release schedule, it could be many, many years. Which, is a damn shame. Lastly, it is very much worth the extra dough to get the Japanese versions.

Here's another site you might try - CD Quest .

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 06-29-07 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-29-07, 10:22 PM
Banned

Nothing
Old 06-30-07, 05:50 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Jippy
IIRC, they will NOT be doing a remaster for Boys Don't Cry since it was technically a repackaged version of Three Imaginary Boys with some different tracks for the US market. Also, Japanese Whispers was more of a ollection of the singles released during the 1984 period. Most of those tracks have already been remastered on the "Join the Dots" boxset.
I never said they were remastering Boys Don't Cry. I said they were remastering the original studio albums and the remaining tracks were generally spread across the bonus discs or in the box set.
Old 06-30-07, 05:23 PM
Cool New Member

I never said they were remastering Boys Don't Cry. I said they were remastering the original studio albums and the remaining tracks were generally spread across the bonus discs or in the box set.
I know that both BOYS DON'T CRY and JAPANESE WHISPERS weren't actual studio albums and that most of the songs have been remastered and released on other discs. Unfortunately, some of my favorite CURE singles were only on these 2 albums and as such have not been remastered yet. Specifically:

BOYS DON'T CRY
JUMPING SOMEONE ELSE'S TRAIN
KILLING AN ARAB
the LOVECATS
LET'S GO TO BED
the WALK

Anyway, I actually like the artwork on both of these albums and would just like to own a remastered version of them. There is an import version of BOYS DON'T CRY on Amazon from 2006 but it does say if it's remastered or not.

I'm happy to hear that both DISINTIGRATION and WISH are both going to be remastered and re-released in the near future.
Old 06-30-07, 10:24 PM

Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgeist

Dammit I can't crank this when Corgan's vocals are way louder than the rest of the mix
Old 07-01-07, 04:58 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
ALL Beatles albums
A hearty SECOND on this !

It is a shame that after all of these CD years we still have those horrible
cd issues !
Old 07-01-07, 09:17 AM
Banned by request

I know that both BOYS DON'T CRY and JAPANESE WHISPERS weren't actual studio albums and that most of the songs have been remastered and released on other discs. Unfortunately, some of my favorite CURE singles were only on these 2 albums and as such have not been remastered yet. Specifically:

BOYS DON'T CRY
JUMPING SOMEONE ELSE'S TRAIN
KILLING AN ARAB
the LOVECATS
LET'S GO TO BED
the WALK

Anyway, I actually like the artwork on both of these albums and would just like to own a remastered version of them. There is an import version of BOYS DON'T CRY on Amazon from 2006 but it does say if it's remastered or not.

I'm happy to hear that both DISINTIGRATION and WISH are both going to be remastered and re-released in the near future.
Considering Rhino went to the trouble of remastering all of the Cure's b-sides, I'm sure we'll see Staring At The Sea or some equivalent singles collection also come out with all remastered tracks.
Old 07-01-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Considering Rhino went to the trouble of remastering all of the Cure's b-sides, I'm sure we'll see Staring At The Sea or some equivalent singles collection also come out with all remastered tracks.
Yeah, a remastered "Standing on a Beach" would be nice (done like the original cassette version, with all the singles plus b-sides too)
Old 07-01-07, 11:18 AM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Just about everything that was produced by Phil Spector.
Old 07-02-07, 12:16 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Lipid
Just about everything that was produced by Phil Spector.
I am currently in the middle of reading Mick Brown's current bio "Tearing Down the Wall of Sound", I took out the box set for a casual listen...and I have to agree the sound is sub-standard, even for the time it was released...but also they sounded so dated to me, aesthetically.

Interestingly the exception was the Teddy Bear's "To Know Him Is To Love Him"...which to me, it has some kind of timeless quality. I was really disappointed with "He's A Rebel"...my favorite.

There has to be something that can be done about it, but I guess it's all up to Mr. Klein and not so much Mr. Spector, and I don't see any release now, in the middle of his trial.

In addition, because he was generally, to say the least, not well liked in the industry, there will be no one with the fortitude, these days, to show the respect he should be accorded.

This is a case where it helps to have friends, and for him they have all but disappeared, his undeniable Talent eclipsed by his current problems.

Maybe someday !
Old 07-02-07, 07:36 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by filmmusicfan
A hearty SECOND on this !

It is a shame that after all of these CD years we still have those horrible
cd issues !
The only reason I didn't put the BEATLES on my list is because I read recently that all of their albums are being remastered right now to be released in late 2007 or 2008. I even sold all of my BEATLES cd's in anticipation of this event. I would've waited until they were actually scheduled but I needed the money and I've got them all on my iPOD and backed up on my iTUNES.

SUPERMALLET, a remastered STANDING ON THE BEACH would be brilliant. I hadn't even thought about that. That was the tape that originally introduced me to so many great CURE tunes.
Old 07-02-07, 08:27 AM
Banned by request

It was cultshock who mentioned Standing On The Beach.
Old 07-03-07, 08:17 AM
Cool New Member

It was cultshock who mentioned Standing On The Beach.
Oops, my bad.

Anyone else hear anything about BEATLES remasters?

Also, anyone know if INXS plan on remastering their albums that came out before KICK? The remastered INXS cd's that have come out so far have been really well done. I want the rest a.s.a.p!
Old 08-07-07, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Blood Sugar Sex Magik by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Why? One of the best-sounding CDs of the 1990s.

Why Slayer? The remasters are earbleeders, and the originals put out by Def Jam (South of heaven mastered by Barry Diament) are fantastic. If anything, the original CD masters should replace the awful remasters.

If you've ever heard the original Megaforce CD (not Elektra) of Kill 'em All, that is a masterpiece.
Old 08-08-07, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was listening to some of Faith No More - The Real Thing today thinking it could use a remaster.
Old 08-12-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The entire Beatles catalog. I know the remasters will be coming soon, but I'm counting it.

It's the only reason I haven't bought any of the CDs released; settling for rips of my dad's copies.
Old 08-13-07, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
The entire Beatles catalog. I know the remasters will be coming soon, but I'm counting it.

It's the only reason I haven't bought any of the CDs released; settling for rips of my dad's copies.
Really?! I've looked online but have seen no evidence of this great news!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.