Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever walked out on a concert?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Ever walked out on a concert?

Old 06-17-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Free tickets to ZZ TOP...they are extremely boring live..left before the encore
Old 06-17-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,873 Likes on 1,153 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Infidel
Hey, Giantrobo...when did Shaw open for Rush? Was that the Hold Your Fire tour?
Yeah, I think so.
Old 06-17-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,145 Likes on 699 Posts
Harry Connick Jr. back in the mid-90's for his "She" album tour.

He decided to go with a pop/rock sound around that time. I didn't mind the album but the concert was awful. He refused to play any "crooner" songs amd mainly just sang snippets of songs from the album while "jamming" most of the time.

My final memory was seeing him walk thru the crowd at the concert hall with a big drum on his shoulders banging away while his other musicians followed him thru the crowd like a junior high marching band concert. It was horrible and the wife and I could take no more and split.
Old 06-17-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Went to see Zac Maloy (former lead singer of The Nixons) one night when he opened for Bowling For Soup. Couldn't last more than three songs into BFS. It was like eavesdropping in a middle school boys' locker room.
Old 06-18-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scarredgod
i walked out on the smashing pumpkins at lollapalooza. theyre a pretty good band in the studio but in concert they were just a screeching mess, corgans voice was just constant annoyance.
Walked out on them before at Rosemont here in Chicago and I agree with you opinion.

I have also walked out on Paul Westerberg acoustic show (which I did not know). Just a mess.

Fantomas (but just to the dressing room - free beer etc and so I could talk to Buzz and Dave Lombardo afterwards).

Slayer, just can't get into their music anymore.
Old 06-18-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts
Oasis. B-O-R-I-N-G
Old 06-18-07, 11:07 AM

Last month I left the Tool show early. The first half was great. Then they played all of their "trippy" stuff from 10,000 days (Lost Keys, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, Wings for Marie, etc) and I became bored. It just went on forever. The crowd, hell, even the band was sitting for most of the last half. I left and roamed the halls, got a pretzel and some water and waited for my friends to make their way out.
Old 06-18-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've never walked out of a show early since I'm usually there for the main act. I do, however, always show up to a concert well after the start time so that I can cruise right in, see who I came to see and then bolt outta there. Getting set times the day of the show is key.
Old 06-18-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I've never walked out of a show early since I'm usually there for the main act.
Huh? Isn't that who we were talking about?
Old 06-18-07, 11:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Flashback

yeah I guess if you can't make it past the opener, you ain't gonna survive the main act?

I've walked out of the Razorlight show before the encores... enough is enough, talk about repetitive, all the songs sounded the same.
Old 06-18-07, 12:09 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Only one I can reacall is
Sigur Ros. I wasn't feeling great and they were pretty damned boring.. So I left.
Still enjoy the music, but it did not translate well for me.
Old 06-18-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Only one I can reacall is
Sigur Ros. I wasn't feeling great and they were pretty damned boring.. So I left.
Still enjoy the music, but it did not translate well for me.
Exact opposite for me.
I thought I'd be bored (even though I liked their music), but I ended up having a great time.
Old 06-18-07, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Flashback
Huh?? Haven't you read this thread on how many went to see the band playing first?
Old 06-18-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,873 Likes on 1,153 Posts
I've worked Greatful Dead shows(Garcia was still alive) and believe me, I wanted to walk out really bad. I mean between the shit sound system, the smelly dirtbag hippies, and the crap music I would've paid to get off early.
Old 06-18-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I've never walked out of a show early since I'm usually there for the main act. I do, however, always show up to a concert well after the start time so that I can cruise right in, see who I came to see and then bolt outta there. Getting set times the day of the show is key.
Man, that wouldn't work for me. Part of the fun is finding some real gems in the opening acts.
Old 06-18-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I went to see Matthew Sweet and Blues Traveler. Sweet was incredible. By the time Blues Traveler moved onto their THIRD song of the night FIFTY (not a typo) minutes into the show, I was headed back to my car.
Old 06-18-07, 01:53 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
Oasis. B-O-R-I-N-G
Which tour? I saw them on the Standing On the Shoulders of Giants tour and they were pretty horrific, but I've seen videos of their shows since and they seem to have improved. Having Zack Starkey in the band has certainly helped.
Old 06-18-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by antennaball
Man, that wouldn't work for me. Part of the fun is finding some real gems in the opening acts.
Well, to be fair, I typically research the opening acts before the show to see if they even sound good or have some good buzz going. At this point I know what's shit and what isn't. No point in wasting $40 on beer waiting for my band to play.
Old 06-18-07, 02:33 PM

my favourite opener band was Editors playing before Stellastarr*
Old 06-18-07, 03:33 PM
Cool New Member

2003 Liquid Sprite Mix Tour. Got to see Talib Kweli, The Roots, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, Skillz and OAR. NERD was headlining so we just left after OAR played.

2004 311 with The Roots. Left towards the end of 311. Missed the encore to beat the traffic. Tweeter in Tinley Park is terrible leaving.

2005 John Legend with Common and De La Soul. Not really too much of a Legend fan, but he definitely was good live, but we left 5 or 6 songs into his set. Come home later to find out Kanye came out durin his set and did a few songs, and some with Com too. Was really pissed.
Old 06-18-07, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by kevinbud62583
2003 Liquid Sprite Mix Tour. Got to see Talib Kweli, The Roots, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, Skillz and OAR. NERD was headlining so we just left after OAR played.

2004 311 with The Roots. Left towards the end of 311. Missed the encore to beat the traffic. Tweeter in Tinley Park is terrible leaving.

2005 John Legend with Common and De La Soul. Not really too much of a Legend fan, but he definitely was good live, but we left 5 or 6 songs into his set. Come home later to find out Kanye came out durin his set and did a few songs, and some with Com too. Was really pissed.
I was quite pissed off that my friend wanted to leave (and we did) at the encore songs of the Killers show at Merriweather, of course they played the one song I really wanted to hear live: 'All These Things That Iíve Done'
Old 06-18-07, 05:00 PM

I've only walked out early on a couple... first was way back in 1974 when I had free tickets from a radio station for the grateful dead... now keep in mind I was 14... and a huge fan of alice cooper... and I knew nothing of grateful dead but their name made me think of alice cooper (I love the dead, sick things, etc) so I figured I'd love it... it was billed as "an evening with" so there was no opening band... boy was I in for a surprise!

another time was in 1986 or 1987 when weird al was opening for the reunited monkees... saw & loved weird al then ran for the doors before the set change...

another time was in 1988... I went to see queensryche when they were touring as an opening band during the operation mindcrime album... saw them play their opening 50 minutes... then waited during the set change... watched the first 2 songs by metallica and left... I vividly remember that guards telling me I couldn't come back in once I left... to which I replied good!
Old 06-18-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wanted to leave...caught The Bravery at the 9:30 Club in DC a couple of weeks ago. Man, what a crappy show. The sound was terrible, and all the songs kinda just ran together...one big crapfest. I would've left way early if I had driven...
Old 06-18-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Newfrd
Huh?? Haven't you read this thread on how many went to see the band playing first?
Nope.
Old 06-18-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
Oasis. B-O-R-I-N-G
You mean you don't like seeing Liam Gallagher standing with his head tilted and his hands behind his back while the rest of the band looks too cool and disinterested for 2 1/2 hours?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.