Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Prince - Planet Earth (7/17/07) -- special guests Wendy And Lisa

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Prince - Planet Earth (7/17/07) -- special guests Wendy And Lisa

Old 07-12-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw Prince live on Saturday night, it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Both Wendy and Sheila E made cameo appearances and the audience loved it
Old 07-12-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It has leaked at least one place I know of. I will probably download it tonight to see how it is.
Old 07-12-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nothingfails
I saw Prince live on Saturday night, it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Both Wendy and Sheila E made cameo appearances and the audience loved it
Do you remember the setlist? Is he still doing a bunch of medleys?
Old 07-12-07, 06:03 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Heard the leak... "Chelsea Rodgers", "The One U Wanna C", and "Revelation" are my favorite tracks so far.
Old 07-15-07, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
There's a leak out that's not 96k or a rip of the 96k leak in 320k Of course, now that they should just about be plastered all over the UK, i'm sure we'll see more...

I resisted listening. Though, I did listen to Somewhere Here On Earth. Outside of one part in the lyrics (where he mentions "texting") I really like this song. Then again, it could just be the Atlanta-esque trumpet that does it for me.
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Do you remember the setlist? Is he still doing a bunch of medleys?
Macy's (start time, just after 5 p.m. - he was only contracted to do 7 songs):
  • "When the Saints Go Marching In" (the band without Prince)
  • "3121"
  • "Girls and Boys"
  • "A Love Bizarre" (with Sheila E)
  • "Get on the Boat"
  • "The Glamorous Life" (with Sheila E)
  • "Take Me with U"
  • "Guitar"
  • "Crazy" (Gnarls Barkley cover with Shelby J on vocals)
  • "Let's Go Crazy"

Target Center (start time, 10 p.m.):
  • "Purple Rain"
  • "Take Me with U"
  • "Guitar"
  • "Shhh"
  • "Musicology"
  • "Play That Funky Music" (Wild Cherry cover)
  • "Let's Go" (The Cars cover)
  • "Satisfied"
  • "What a Wonderful World" (instrumental)
  • "Little Red Corvette" (first of an acoustic set with Wendy)
  • "Raspberry Beret"
  • "The One U Wanna C" (one of the few new songs played)
  • "Sometimes it Snows in April"
  • "Seven" (full band returns)
  • "Come Together" (Beatles cover, with great Prince/Wendy jamming)
  • "Do Me Baby" (first of a set with Prince at the piano)
  • "I Wanna Be Your Lover"
  • "How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore?"
  • "Diamonds and Pearls" (just the intro)
  • "Cream" (Prince back on guitar)
  • "U Got the Look"
  • "If I Was Your Girlfriend"
  • "Black Sweat"
  • "Kiss"
  • "Let's Go Crazy"
  • "A Love Bizarre" (with Sheila E)
  • "Crazy" (Gnarls Barkley cover, again with Shelby J on vocals)
  • "Nothing Compares 2 U"
  • "The Glamorous Life" (with Sheila E)

First Avenue (start time, 2:45 a.m.):
  • "3121"
  • "Girls and Boys"
  • "I Feel for You"
  • "Controversy"
  • "Satisfied"
  • "Down by the Riverside"
  • "Broken Heart Again"
  • "Love Is a Losing Game" (Amy Winehouse cover with Shelby J on vocals)
  • "Love Changes"
  • "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)"
  • "Hair"
  • "Sing a Simple Song"
  • "Everyday People"
  • "Alphabet St."
Old 07-15-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow I'm a huge prince fan, and all I can say is.....what a big fat turd this is, jesus no wonder they're giving it away in some shit mag. If I had paid $2 for this I'd be annoyed.

3121 was 10 times better than this crap. I mean seriously, where's the camera's I know I'm being punked right now.
Old 07-17-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Come on I seriously can't believe none of you have heard this mess yet lol. Anyone else comment on this album.
Old 07-24-07, 10:42 AM

i just bought this today from Best Buy. Maybe it's just my copy, but there is no song track list anywhere in this package. Not on the disc itself, nor the back of the case, and there's no booklet included. What the hell?
Old 07-24-07, 02:32 PM

i've listened to it three times through. Wow, really not loving it the way I'd hoped. The diversity of genres is impressive, but the individual songs just don't leave an impression. "The One U Wanna C," "Planet Earth," "Guitar" and "Chelsea Rogers," are the only ones I don't mind, the rest seem like filler. Yet again I am very disappointed by Prince, who I consider one of the most brilliant song and dance artists of all time. It just seems like he hasn't been able to recapture that incredible magic that stopped after "Sign O the Times."
Old 07-24-07, 05:12 PM

Picked it up today and had it on while driving all over town to find a copy of "The Monster Squad" [of which I was not successful...grrr]. Not nearly as impressed as I'd hoped I'd be, but it's not bad either. Sounds a bit to me what "The Love Symbol" album would be if it was a bit more focused.

No absolute highlight a la 'Black Sweat' from "3121", but nothing unlistenable either...though 'Somewhere Here On Earth' is pretty dull.
Old 07-25-07, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Tarnower
i just bought this today from Best Buy. Maybe it's just my copy, but there is no song track list anywhere in this package. Not on the disc itself, nor the back of the case, and there's no booklet included. What the hell?
HERE and HERE
Old 07-25-07, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

there isn't a "breakout" song like Cinnamon Girl or Black Sweat, but I do think the album flows together very well. "Future Baby Mama" is nowhere as embarassing as I thought it'd been from the title.

While I do like Prince finding his way back into the mainstream, I am kinda missing the dares he used to make. His last three albums have all been commercial, part of me kinda yearns for the O+> of the 90's who'd release "for fans only" types of albums like Chaos And Disorder, Crystal Ball and The Vault in between releasing Gold Experience, Emancipation and Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic that were more geared for the masses.
Old 07-25-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got the album for free today at Best Buy
Old 07-26-07, 01:24 AM

the album is growing on me. 'guitar' was my favorite track, but now 'the one u wanna c' is getting more play, and 'mr. goodnight' is just ridiculous prince, how can you not love it.
Old 07-26-07, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"part of me kinda yearns for the O+> of the 90's who'd release "for fans only" types of albums "

Please I got enough of that non sense when I was in the music club lol. But seriously this is hands down by FAR my least liked Prince album ever, I feel its at least twice as bad as anything before it. But I'll give it more tried just been busy lately.
Old 07-26-07, 02:16 AM

This album could have been and should have been miles better than it is. I cannot believe the drop-off from 3121. This album lacks any originality, something Prince is known for and sounds incredibly dated. Most of Prince's work from the 80s still sounds more modern than this. "Guitar" is the albums best track simply because it is a simple and fun track. The rest is a mess. 3121 had a feeling throughout it, its hard to explain, but it was almost like an out-of-body experience. It is way ahead of its time so I was expecting more greatness from Planet Earth, but was very disappointed. I'm still gonna play it to see if I change my mind, but I'd rather continue to discover some of Prince's older stuff.
Old 07-26-07, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this album is better than some of the crap he released in the 90's (New Power Soul and Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic come to mind), but for the most part, it feels like his most effortless album to date. The album for the most part goes in one ear and out the other and is finished before you realize it. The album isn't terrible by any means, it's just rather forgettable and below his standards. Guitar and The One U Wanna C are both much better in concert
Old 07-27-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awful album. Completely dead and listless. It's amazing to me that a guy who pretty much fucking slays every time he performs live, Can put out such a leaden drab collection of slick uninspired sonic mush. This is the worst Prince album ever.
Old 07-27-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldn't say the worst ever, remember some of the turds he released in the 90's, but I certainly would put it in the bottom 5 for him.
Old 07-27-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's crazy talk, I thought you were wrong hehe so I went back to look at the tracks. There are several good songs on those cd's. Well ok not several but reason enough to have them unlike the new album which I entirely hate. Tracks from those being

Until Your In My Arms Again
Come On( classic if you ask me)
The One
And I kinda like Freaks on this side.

As for the other album
Hot Wit U
Tangerine
So Far, So Pleased
The Sun, The Moon And Stars
Beautiful Strange
Wherever U Go, Whatever U Do

So new album
.......yep none
Old 07-28-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hdtv00
That's crazy talk, I thought you were wrong hehe so I went back to look at the tracks. There are several good songs on those cd's. Well ok not several but reason enough to have them unlike the new album which I entirely hate. Tracks from those being

Until Your In My Arms Again
Come On( classic if you ask me)
The One
And I kinda like Freaks on this side.

As for the other album
Hot Wit U
Tangerine
So Far, So Pleased
The Sun, The Moon And Stars
Beautiful Strange
Wherever U Go, Whatever U Do

So new album
.......yep none
I can name at least 4 songs off the new album I find decent.

The One U Wanna C
Guitar (it's okay studio, but live is phenomenal)
Chelsea Rodgers
Lion Of Judah

None of these are his best songs ever, but it's proof that even Prince's worst albums have something salvagable, much like New Power Soul (I think The One was one of his best 90's singles) and Rave (which I loved Hot Wit U, Greatest Romance, So Far So Pleased and Eye Love U But Eye Don't Trust U Anymore) did IMO.
Old 08-01-07, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BILLBOARD.com Prince scores his 13th top 10 with "Planet Earth" (Columbia), which arrives at No. 3 with 96,000. His last two efforts also reached the upper echelons of the chart, with last year's "3121" bowing at No. 1 with 183,000 and 2004's "Musicology" reaching No. 3 with 191,000.
Well listened to it for a week, a letdown from 3121. Good thing I got it for FREE [at Best Buy]... now on to Korn's new one [and back Megadeth ]
Old 08-02-07, 12:20 AM
Suspended

I like it. And I bought it.

But, I do like music.

E
Old 08-02-07, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like music too, and I assure you I'm the biggest prince fan in this thread. Let's just hope he gets back to making some decent music so we can start a new thread.

How was it free at best buy
Old 08-02-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Originally Posted by hdtv00
...and I assure you I'm the biggest prince fan in this thread.
I might have to challenge you on that one.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.