DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   What were you listening to 10 years ago? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/502530-what-were-you-listening-10-years-ago.html)

toolbin 06-04-07 07:15 PM

What were you listening to 10 years ago?

Indie rock.

I probably focused on more local music then (Texas and Houston in particular)

De Schmog
Sprawl
Texas Guinness Lovers
Ed Hall
the Jinkies

etc.

Throwing Muses
Belly
Cop Shoot Cop
Frank Black
Blake Babies
Cypress Hill
Negativland
Hole
Nirvana
Babes in Toyland
Lunachicks

Mondo Kane 06-04-07 07:44 PM

http://thugradio.net/wu-tangclan-wu-...ever-cover.jpg

My first enhanced CD

Tscott 06-04-07 07:57 PM

Ten years ago compared to now isn't too much of a change for me. Twenty years ago is different story.

Favorite artists ten years ago:
Tori Amos
They Might Be Giants
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Chet Baker
Johnny Cash
-wild card entry- Aphex Twin

Favorite artists now:
Tori Amos
They Might Be Giants
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Miles Davis
Bob Dylan
-wild card entry- Sigur Ros

Favorite artists 20 years ago:
Madonna
Debbie Gibson
The Motels
Duran Duran
Weird Al
-wild card entry- Jean Michel Jarre

B5Erik 06-04-07 09:28 PM

Ten years ago -

Iron Maiden
Dio
KISS
Armored Saint
Thin Lizzy
UFO
Queen
Black Sabbath
AC/DC
Ratt
Dokken
Saxon
Metallica
Bad Company
Led Zeppelin
Deep Purple
etc
Plus some Jazz and Blues

20 years ago -

Iron Maiden
Dio
KISS
Thin Lizzy
Armored Saint
Black Sabbath
Saxon
Metallica
Ratt
Dokken
AC/DC
Bad Company
Led Zeppelin
Deep Purple
Etc, etc...
Plust some Jazz

Now?

The same. Plus a few newer bands (Firewind, Godsmack, Symphony X, etc).

gmal2003 06-04-07 09:58 PM

TLC
Tupac
R Kelly
Snoop Doggy Dogg
Marcy Playground
Tonic
Fastball
The Smashing Pumpkins
Jimi Hendrix
The Notorious B.I.G
Nas
Blackstreet
Aailiyah
Puff Daddy
Jay Z

Today:
Incubus
Linkin Park
Sparta
Interpol
Coldplay
Billy Talent
Keane
The Killers
Panic at the Disco
Smashing Pumpkins
Thrice
JayZ
Kanye West
Justin Timberlake
Gnarls Barkley
Year of the Rabbit

reverie 06-05-07 08:17 AM

Pretty much the same stuff as now. Well, minus a few things I suppose. My taste in music doesn't really change, it just expands through the years. I suppose somewhere around that time I was just discovering rockabilly, and have been in love with it ever since. ;)

Josh H 06-05-07 09:24 AM

Pretty much the same type of stuff I listen to today.

Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Rage Against the Machine etc.

Still listen to all that, and have mainly added bands of a similar vain over the years--so mostly altenrative/grunge/metal/classic rock etc. for me.

Michael Corvin 06-05-07 09:42 AM

Have to agree with some of the others. Pretty much the same, just grown in the same genres.

15-20 years would be a whole other story.

starseed1981 06-05-07 09:44 AM

Ditto. Same genres. With the addition of some classic rock, indie rock and however you would catagorize Sigur Ros.

Randy Miller III 06-05-07 09:55 AM

I was listening to Soundgarden, STP, Radiohead, Bjork and Smashing Pumpkins (and others).
Still enjoy 'em all, especially since most of my "high school bands" are still around. :D

paulringodaman 06-05-07 10:20 AM

In 1997, I was 12 years old....My three favorite things to listen to were No Doubt's - Tragic Kingdom (still an amazing album), The Beatles (I am still obsessed with them), and just Majic 105.7 Oldies..(I'm sure you have a Clear Channel oldies radio station called Majic in your area)

gimmepilotwings 06-05-07 10:28 AM

2 Pac, Biggie mostly

CapRockBrewingCo. 06-05-07 10:44 AM

Wilco
Blue Mountain
Whiskeytown
Freakwater
Neil Young
Grateful Dead
The Jayhawks
Son Volt

wendersfan 06-05-07 11:26 AM

Lots of Brit-pop (Blur. Stereophonics, Oasis) along with the older stuff I always listen to (The Kinks, The Small Faces, The Beatles, The Who...)

nodeerforamonth 06-05-07 11:52 AM

Same thing as I'm listening to now. Supersuckers, Hellacopters, etc...

Giles 06-05-07 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Lots of Brit-pop (Blur. Stereophonics, Oasis) along with the older stuff I always listen to (The Kinks, The Small Faces, The Beatles, The Who...)

that's me in a nutshell...

Rocketdog2000 06-05-07 02:14 PM

Pretty much everything I was listening to in '97, I still listen to today. My tastes haven't changed all that much. It's just that I listen to even more music now.

GuessWho 06-05-07 03:03 PM

I don't see a drastic change at all from 1997-2007

certainly not as much as 1987-1997

The Bus 06-05-07 04:26 PM

I'm still listening to Radiohead and Wu-Tang. I still listen to Nirvana although not as much as before. I don't listen to the Doors a lot simply because I've been lazy and haven't converted my box set to MP3s. I'd have to hunt the CDs down since I don't know what binder they're in.

I'm less obsessed with Beck. At some point in 1998, I tracked down every single bootleg of his. There was some master list on some Beck website or a newsgroup and I eventually got access to the server with all the bootlegs. I have a TON. But after Midnite Vultures I backed off a lot. :lol: I still don't own that album.

A friend of mine got me into Modest Mouse in '97. I still like them although I'm not a huge huge fan.

Here are bands I listen to now that I didn't listen to in 1997, when they were out:
Guster
Grandaddy
The Beta Band
The Hives
Air
Yann Tiersen

I still listen to Yo La Tengo.

I remember listening to a lot of Fugees, Chemical Brothers, and Money Mark. I went one or two months, literally, with only The Score, Exit Planet Dust, Odelay, and Mark's Keyboard Repair in my Walkman.

Out of all those, I don't listen to the Fugees as much and I'm not a huge fan of the Chemical Brothers (or techno in general). I still listen to it, but not as intently.

paradicelost 06-05-07 04:33 PM

I know ten years ago is when i first got into Blink 182, Sixteen Horsepower, Electric Hellfire Club, Our Lady Peace, Poe, Bloodhound Gang, Garbage. And I know I listened the hell out of my "AntiChrist Superstar" and Radiohead's "OK Computer" cd. And I know my favorite band at the time(and bascially still is) was the Cure. I was going through a divorce and I spent a lot of time in a dark room with "Disintegration". I got into 311 a few years earlier and I think they released a new album in 97/98 that i listened to all the time.

UAIOE 06-06-07 12:47 AM

Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, Prodigy, KMFDM, Smashing Pumpkins, Underworld, Orbital, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Garbage.

Aside from a few groups I haven't really followed since their first or 2nd album (Foo & Garbage) these pretty much make up the core of my music collection.

1987 to 1997 would be really hard to do because I really didn't pay much attention to music and I really just listened to the radio. And being a child, I'd rather spend my limited funds on toys than music tapes.

whaaat 06-06-07 08:50 AM

1997: I was starting to get fed up with hip-hop, probably the last summer I bought any new stuff. I was still listening to a lot of house, but moving away from it and starting to listen to a lot more soul/jazz/funk.

islandclaws 06-07-07 01:19 PM

10 years ago? I was still a 15 year old shithead listening to metal 24/7. Which hasn't changed <i>too</i> much, but my catalog is much more diverse now.

Favorite bands probably included Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, old Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, White Zombie. And I still listen to all of them now. The only thing I listened to 10 years ago that I don't now is hip hop. I just can't get into it anymore. I think I only got into it because that's what all my friends listened to, and at 15 I didn't have a car yet.

joefrog91 06-07-07 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by toolbin
Indie rock.

I probably focused on more local music then (Texas and Houston in particular)

De Schmog
Sprawl
Texas Guinness Lovers
Ed Hall
the Jinkies

etc.

Throwing Muses
Belly
Cop Shoot Cop
Frank Black
Blake Babies
Cypress Hill
Negativland
Hole
Nirvana
Babes in Toyland
Lunachicks

Do you remeber a Houston band called P.S. Addicted to Ex-Lax? I went to TCU with the guitar player. They were a funk band in the genre of RHCP.

bunkaroo 06-07-07 04:26 PM

A lot of the same artists, but just their output at the time.

Fear Factory
Dream Theater
Type O Negative
Nine Inch Nails
Rammstein
Enigma
Delerium
Front Line Assembly
KMFDM
White Zombie
Seal