Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

the scariest "vs." I've ever seen between music artists

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-03-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Beatles vs.... PARIS HILTON?!?!?!!

actually, it was a thread that was praising The Beatles and the 40th anniversary of Sgt. Pepper until some Paris Hilton loving troll came in.

http://forums.madonnanation.com/inde...howtopic=10280

Read it, it's hilarious
Old 06-03-07, 10:00 PM
Banned by request

I think that's proof positive that Paris Hilton is a bad role model for today's youth.

By the way, someone on there said that he/she grew up listening to the album 1, which came out in 2000. By "grew up listening to it" I can only imagine that poster spent several years hearing the album at a young age, which means they've got to be at most...12. So yeah, what do you expect?
Old 06-03-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I see all these fake/pseudo fans...their favorite beatles songs include Something, Let it Be, Hey Jude, I Saw Her Standing There...........How about For No One, Good Night, Here, There and Everywhere, and finally Don't Pass Me By!!!!!

Sorry, I just hate when "huge" fans of bands love their hits only.....
Old 06-04-07, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by paulringodaman

I can hear one album from an artist, and become a huge fan of them. Hits are hits for a reason, and it may take me a while to move beyond them to lesser known songs.
Old 06-04-07, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate when people act like high schoolers with the whole punk-rock attitude that "you have to love track nine off ____ or you're not a REAL fan". Yea, when I was in high school, I thought I was cool when I listed songs by bands I loved that weren't singles, but the truth was that I was loving the hits too but afraid of being judged for reasons like you pointed out. A major example for me is Prince, I consider myself a pretty huge fan, having over 25 of his albums, including Crystal Ball and Black Album, and finding non-single material off each album to love. But yet, When Doves Cry and Little Red Corvette remain two of my fave songs of his even if they are two of his most popular singles, I still consider them great tracks.

Last edited by nothingfails; 06-04-07 at 02:02 AM.
Old 06-04-07, 02:06 AM
Banned by request

When Doves Cry was too good NOT to be a single.
Old 06-07-07, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the same Paris Hilton fan told me and another poster (the owner of the thread) that we're "old farts" because we bought Memory Almost Full. Oh well, sorry if we can differentiate good music from a talentless jailbird skank
Old 06-07-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Albeit not "scary", I liked the musical rivalry between Lennon and McCartney after the band broke up. Although I wasn't born when the Beatles were around, and for the solo albums they bickered through, I read a lot about it.

You can hear their verbal sparring in songs such as McCartney's "Too Many People" and Lennon's "Gimme Some Truth", for example.

What was really neat was looking at the artwork. On McCartney's Ram album, he has a picture of him petting a sheep (or a goat, dont' remember), and Lennon is mimicking him on his follow up album (by fondling either the goat or sheep, whichever one McCartney was NOT in the picture with.) And Lennon had a picture of a beetle fornicating with another beetle, in another picture.

Of course, rap has a lot of verbal sparring stuff going on. It's great.
Old 06-07-07, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nothingfails
A major example for me is Prince, I consider myself a pretty huge fan, having over 25 of his albums, including Crystal Ball and Black Album, and finding non-single material off each album to love. But yet, When Doves Cry and Little Red Corvette remain two of my fave songs of his even if they are two of his most popular singles, I still consider them great tracks.
I was going to point out the same example. I really dig his catalog, but the singles are my favorite songs of his.
Old 06-08-07, 02:39 PM

I see all these fake/pseudo fans...their favorite beatles songs include Something, Let it Be, Hey Jude, I Saw Her Standing There...........How about For No One, Good Night, Here, There and Everywhere, and finally Don't Pass Me By!!!!!

I just thought this was interesting since my favorite Beatles song is so far from a hit.

"Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me and My Monkey"

but I do like the hits too.
Old 06-08-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
Albeit not "scary", I liked the musical rivalry between Lennon and McCartney after the band broke up. Although I wasn't born when the Beatles were around, and for the solo albums they bickered through, I read a lot about it.

You can hear their verbal sparring in songs such as McCartney's "Too Many People" and Lennon's "Gimme Some Truth", for example.

What was really neat was looking at the artwork. On McCartney's Ram album, he has a picture of him petting a sheep (or a goat, dont' remember), and Lennon is mimicking him on his follow up album (by fondling either the goat or sheep, whichever one McCartney was NOT in the picture with.) And Lennon had a picture of a beetle fornicating with another beetle, in another picture.

Of course, rap has a lot of verbal sparring stuff going on. It's great.

"How Do You Sleep?" off of Imagine is particularly cutting. "The only thing you done was yesterday/And since you've gone you're just another day."
Old 06-08-07, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
What was really neat was looking at the artwork. On McCartney's Ram album, he has a picture of him petting a sheep (or a goat, dont' remember), and Lennon is mimicking him on his follow up album (by fondling either the goat or sheep, whichever one McCartney was NOT in the picture with.)
It was McCartney holding a 'RAM' by the horns and then Lennon took one with himself holding a pig's ears.