Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

the scariest "vs." I've ever seen between music artists

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

the scariest "vs." I've ever seen between music artists

Old 06-03-07, 08:43 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,866
the scariest "vs." I've ever seen between music artists

The Beatles vs.... PARIS HILTON?!?!?!!

actually, it was a thread that was praising The Beatles and the 40th anniversary of Sgt. Pepper until some Paris Hilton loving troll came in.

http://forums.madonnanation.com/inde...howtopic=10280

Read it, it's hilarious
nothingfails is offline  
Old 06-03-07, 10:00 PM
  #2  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
I think that's proof positive that Paris Hilton is a bad role model for today's youth.

By the way, someone on there said that he/she grew up listening to the album 1, which came out in 2000. By "grew up listening to it" I can only imagine that poster spent several years hearing the album at a young age, which means they've got to be at most...12. So yeah, what do you expect?
Supermallet is offline  
Old 06-03-07, 11:55 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The city with no sports championships...Cleveland
Posts: 2,109
I see all these fake/pseudo fans...their favorite beatles songs include Something, Let it Be, Hey Jude, I Saw Her Standing There...........How about For No One, Good Night, Here, There and Everywhere, and finally Don't Pass Me By!!!!!

Sorry, I just hate when "huge" fans of bands love their hits only.....
paulringodaman is offline  
Old 06-04-07, 12:51 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 13,462
Originally Posted by paulringodaman
Sorry, I just hate when "huge" fans of bands love their hits only.....

I can hear one album from an artist, and become a huge fan of them. Hits are hits for a reason, and it may take me a while to move beyond them to lesser known songs.
mndtrp is offline  
Old 06-04-07, 01:59 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,866
Originally Posted by paulringodaman
Sorry, I just hate when "huge" fans of bands love their hits only.....
I hate when people act like high schoolers with the whole punk-rock attitude that "you have to love track nine off ____ or you're not a REAL fan". Yea, when I was in high school, I thought I was cool when I listed songs by bands I loved that weren't singles, but the truth was that I was loving the hits too but afraid of being judged for reasons like you pointed out. A major example for me is Prince, I consider myself a pretty huge fan, having over 25 of his albums, including Crystal Ball and Black Album, and finding non-single material off each album to love. But yet, When Doves Cry and Little Red Corvette remain two of my fave songs of his even if they are two of his most popular singles, I still consider them great tracks.

Last edited by nothingfails; 06-04-07 at 02:02 AM.
nothingfails is offline  
Old 06-04-07, 02:06 AM
  #6  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
When Doves Cry was too good NOT to be a single.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 06-07-07, 02:33 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,866
the same Paris Hilton fan told me and another poster (the owner of the thread) that we're "old farts" because we bought Memory Almost Full. Oh well, sorry if we can differentiate good music from a talentless jailbird skank
nothingfails is offline  
Old 06-07-07, 11:44 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 2,808
Albeit not "scary", I liked the musical rivalry between Lennon and McCartney after the band broke up. Although I wasn't born when the Beatles were around, and for the solo albums they bickered through, I read a lot about it.

You can hear their verbal sparring in songs such as McCartney's "Too Many People" and Lennon's "Gimme Some Truth", for example.

What was really neat was looking at the artwork. On McCartney's Ram album, he has a picture of him petting a sheep (or a goat, dont' remember), and Lennon is mimicking him on his follow up album (by fondling either the goat or sheep, whichever one McCartney was NOT in the picture with.) And Lennon had a picture of a beetle fornicating with another beetle, in another picture.

Of course, rap has a lot of verbal sparring stuff going on. It's great.
SlingshotBandit is offline  
Old 06-07-07, 07:39 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 5,731
Originally Posted by nothingfails
A major example for me is Prince, I consider myself a pretty huge fan, having over 25 of his albums, including Crystal Ball and Black Album, and finding non-single material off each album to love. But yet, When Doves Cry and Little Red Corvette remain two of my fave songs of his even if they are two of his most popular singles, I still consider them great tracks.
I was going to point out the same example. I really dig his catalog, but the singles are my favorite songs of his.
boredsilly is offline  
Old 06-08-07, 02:39 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 211
Originally Posted by paulringodaman
I see all these fake/pseudo fans...their favorite beatles songs include Something, Let it Be, Hey Jude, I Saw Her Standing There...........How about For No One, Good Night, Here, There and Everywhere, and finally Don't Pass Me By!!!!!

Sorry, I just hate when "huge" fans of bands love their hits only.....
I just thought this was interesting since my favorite Beatles song is so far from a hit.

"Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me and My Monkey"

but I do like the hits too.
megashock5 is offline  
Old 06-08-07, 04:04 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite
Posts: 1,952
Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
Albeit not "scary", I liked the musical rivalry between Lennon and McCartney after the band broke up. Although I wasn't born when the Beatles were around, and for the solo albums they bickered through, I read a lot about it.

You can hear their verbal sparring in songs such as McCartney's "Too Many People" and Lennon's "Gimme Some Truth", for example.

What was really neat was looking at the artwork. On McCartney's Ram album, he has a picture of him petting a sheep (or a goat, dont' remember), and Lennon is mimicking him on his follow up album (by fondling either the goat or sheep, whichever one McCartney was NOT in the picture with.) And Lennon had a picture of a beetle fornicating with another beetle, in another picture.

Of course, rap has a lot of verbal sparring stuff going on. It's great.

"How Do You Sleep?" off of Imagine is particularly cutting. "The only thing you done was yesterday/And since you've gone you're just another day."
Talkin2Phil is offline  
Old 06-08-07, 11:14 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
nazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 5,989
Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
What was really neat was looking at the artwork. On McCartney's Ram album, he has a picture of him petting a sheep (or a goat, dont' remember), and Lennon is mimicking him on his follow up album (by fondling either the goat or sheep, whichever one McCartney was NOT in the picture with.)
It was McCartney holding a 'RAM' by the horns and then Lennon took one with himself holding a pig's ears.



nazz is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.